Jumping bigger better? Vid - cc welcome!

Switchthehorse

darcyandme.wordpress.com
Eek so i am back for more cc-ing haha! I have posted on here a number of times about the tank aka Fatty.. and was just interested in feedback/thoughts.

Have had numerous problems jumping my girl, primarily nasty run outs, broncing after fences and tanking.. and my instructor very sensibly has said for the past 6 months or so she has scope, lets not worry about height, its all about the work between the fences etc and so doesn't make me jump anything (or let me!) over c. 80/85 cm.

Have had a few 'fun' jumping sessions at the yard without instructors and hopefully the video below shows my quandry :) basically I do get all/some of the problems when the fences are below c. 90 but put them up a bit and suddenly I have a horse who stands off, takes things seriously and jumps properly.

Anyone else had a similar situation? What did you do? at the moment I only compete at 80ish and only once managed a clear round (normally tanked round and last minute runouts)but wonder whether I should bite the bullet and have a go at c. 1m and see what happens? Whilst continuing to work on flatwork, building up her backside, and continuing her diet.. sorry she is a tad fat :)

The tanking is in her neck, rather than her mouth, i ride her in a sweet iron narrow pelham and have tried LOADS of bits and nothing works, she just sets her neck and goes....

cc welcome, she isn't an easy horse although many people seem to think she is, although not many of them seem to want to get on her.. all mouth no trousers!!?

Would welcome your thoughts! Thanks so much...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdaMVAjPxgw&feature=youtu.be

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Looked good to me, and shes obviously enjoying herself, hence the excitement!! Well done!! PS I am not going to offer any CC, positive all the way for me! X

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Jumped that last two times much better - because you had a an extra pole under the fence, making it easier for her to see what she was jumping.

Fab horse.

RedRum13

Visit site
What a lovely horse! Reminds me of mine... bit exciteable, least shes enjoying what shes doing! :) when mine takes a pull towards a fence (which is most of the time lol) really sit back and pull her back on her on hocks. Usually works for me... pretty damn good though!

RedRum13

Visit site
Also... mines the same doesn't respect small fences.. the bigger the better. Maybe shes tryna tell you she wants to be jumping higher! haha

PaddyMonty

Visit site
please feel free to ignore all the following comments except the first one. ;)
1) I really like your horse :D
2) The vid doesn't often show the turn in to the fence but on the couple of times that it did (1.20mtr) you turned in in trot and then once lined up went in to canter. With a horse that has a tendency to rush its far better to turn in at the pace you wnat and then keep it. Going from trot to canter on approach can encourage a horse to rush.
3) On the treble combi when she did rush you attempted to check her but not very much. In this situatiion I would either not check or seriously slam the brakes on no matter what it did to the jump. Half checking tends to encouarge the horse to sit on your hand.

If she was mine (I wish) my focus would be getting a better outline on the flat then maintaining that outline on approach working on keeping a very soft rythm.

PS I would get on her :p

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
the only cc I have is that she is inclined she is to jump off her forehand. I would work on the flat, teaching her how to keep her back end under her, and her forehand soft and suple, and then start on the jumping again. That is a very long horse you are riding (which is a huge credit to your ability)- have you considered spurs, and a schooling whip? Or does that incite violence on her part?!

Switchthehorse

darcyandme.wordpress.com
Thanks PaddyMonty - I used to canter into the fences but that caused even more carnage!!?? I find I have a teeny bit more control if i trot in first and then canter nearer the fence - mainly because agree with Tinsel Trouble she is very much on the forehand and once her weight is there (which is generally is in canter) she is off and I am helpless!! Agree I need to work on outline more, she can do it, I think it was just sunday afternoon laziness that made me mooch around :)

We are working heaps on her flat work and lots of lungeing to sort her back end out and get her weight behind more, hopefully that will help! Not sure about stopping jumping tho!! Where would our fun come from ;)

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I remember your previous post :D at least now you jump them ;)
She's a big mare (and a bit tubby, indeed :)) and I think you are right to jump a wee bigger.
Have you taught her neck flexions? Just ask her to reach for your foot on both reins, whilst standing still, to ''unlock'' her.
Also agree with PaddyMonty, either knock her teeth out or not bother, let her make her own mistakes and back off in consequence.

SillySausage

Visit site
I sometimes have the same problem with mine, he just loves it and I don't want to knock his enthusiasm and I'm sure you feel the same.

If things get out of hand with mine I pop a 10m circle in before the jump (in canter) so that he is listening and pop the jump. If he goes well I carry on, if he bombs on landing I put another circle in (in canter, but if he drops to trot so be it).

Usually takes a few goes until he gets bored :)

Also I notice you trot before the jump and canter the last bit. I guess I would work on establishing my canter before then, and if he bombs, pop in a circle and get him to listen.

Hope that may be of some help!