jumping height

pixiebee

Visit site
what height should i expect my 13.2hh pony to jump? what do you jump on yours? my pony is 13 years old, very foreward going with a bold jump, i have just started jumping 3ft3 on him which i think is big for a pony of his height? any thaughts? he doesnt struggle with the height but does have more knockdowns at this height. how can i teach him to 'spring' off from his hocks more so he can glide over the jump without as much effort? im prob not making sense now.lol!!!
grin.gif

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I don't think there is a right height as such for any pony, they are all different and therefore will all be able to jump different heights. I think you have answered your own question when you say at 3ft3 you are having more knock downs then not.

Do you have lessons? If you do then maybe speaking to your instructor would be a good idea. If not maybe getting someone more experienced to watch you and your pony. It may give you a better idea of, how you can get your pony using itself better?

welshpony

Visit site
I have a 6 year old 13.2hh, who jumps 3"3 courses happily but I've been told he has a very big jump. He's also a very careful jumper though so we don't have many knock downs.

juliehannah58

Visit site
It is completely down to ability not height. I used to have a 14.1hh mare and the biggest course we tackled was a 4'3" Grand Prix, the jumps were almost as big as her! I also jumped her over a single jump of 5'3", she would literally jump anything from anywhere.

I'd suggest you have a jumping lesson then talk to your instructor, after seeing you ride and jump they should be able to give you an idea of your limitations
smile.gif

Hattikins

Visit site
my little 13.2hh was a JA and before we got her she was on the showjumping circuit and winning and being placed in plenty of classes at 1.10m (in first round)
smile.gif
. although she has retired from jumping now
frown.gif

its the ability and talent of the pony that counts really not the height of it
wink.gif
so sky's the limit
wink.gif

kerrylou123

Visit site
one of my horses mum's is 14.1hh, and i've seen her jump 5ft2. But she's ex JA. She's now 26, but still loves her jumping, and is happily winning the biggest pony class at our local show, being 3ft 3.

SummerStorm

Visit site
Look at Stroller - he was 14.2hh and won silver at the Olympics and cleared a Puissance wall at 6'10''
shocked.gif
smile.gif

My advice is to listen to your pony - he'll tell you with what he is happy with doing and I'm sure he will let you know when he's reached his limit. The best thing to do is to stick at the height you are jumping now and when you can clear that consistently, put the height up if you want to.

Good luck though - he sounds a fab pony!

marnie_rox

New User
Visit site
I recently lost my 14.1hh pony to colic but he was perfectly happy jumping 5.3ft classes clear, i think you should listen to your pony, if he is knocking more down than he is clearing then perhaps you should try jumping him slightly smaller and see how he goes before you move onto bigger fences otherwise you could hurt him or knock his confidence. (just my opinion) xxxxxx

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think it totally depends on the pony. Some ponies happily jump over 1.20m (which I think is massive for a pony!) whereas some arent happy jumping above 3ft. It really depends on how scopey he is. You cant "expect" them to jump any certain height. My 13.2hh used to pop 4ft at home but I would never have jumped a whole course at that height as I didnt think he'd cope with that height in spreads etc. too.

If he's having more knock downs at this height Id say he's probably not ready to be at that height. You say he's "very forward going" so does he rush? If so, that'll be why your having knock downs! He'll be jumping too flat. Id just do regular gridwork to help with his general technique to make him steady up and bascule over the fence more.

MillionDollar

Visit site
It really does depend. My 13.2 NF can easily jump 5 foot, but this is on the lunge and with out a rider, although she has jumped 3'6 courses with a rider. She is very careful and hates touching a pole, and is bold and brave.