jumping heights. show jumping

Peanot

Visit site
<span style="color:blue"> </span> I was just sitting here wondering, you show jumpers out there.
What height do you practise over at home. We have started jumping afilliated again and we are currently jumping British Novice and we recently did our first Discovery in 2 years. I have had a couple of lessons at home and we jump around the 90cm-1m. When you jump at home, do you jump bigger, smaller or the same as when you compete? As when I watch training videos etc it states that you don`t need to jump big while training. <span style="color:blue"> </span>
Thanks

Shrimp

Visit site
Im currently (well when I can ride again) competiting at BE PN/Novice and at home I normally jump around 1.10m as thats our comfort zone and I hate for things to go wrong at home and I dont jump at home that often as I usually have a lesson once a week or so. In lessons, its usually around the same and a bit bigger as they know we can do it easily so they're going to push us a bit more than I would myself if I was at home.
When im at a competitions, I never jump any bigger (usually smaller) than whats in the arena as I dont feel there is need for me to do so and I dont want to cock it up just before I go in the arena. I quite often see people whack the fences up in the warm up but what works for them doesnt necessarily work for me. When I get in the arena, the adreneline (sp?) is going and im in a much better rhythm jumping a course (and the bigger fences are normally towards the end anyway...!
blush.gif
)

MagicMelon

Visit site
We're jumping 1.15m out, going up to 1.20 in next few weeks hopefully. TBH I rarely jump at home! I find mine jump better when they are fresher. We get regular SJ lessons though and in those I prefer to be jumping bigger than I do at competition. I think thats quite sensible?

At competitions, I also dont warm up over bigger than the class Im doing (although often dont get the choice when the usual buggers wack the fences up......).

helenandshadow

Visit site
I'm jumping BN/Disc and XC at the same height with Shadow and i jump about 1m-1.10m at home about once a week, I like to school over slightly bigger at home than when i compete.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I jump 90-1m at home (1.10 on the ginger beastie who isn't competing yet!) but 80 (and moving upto 90 soon I hope ) at shows. This gives me more confidence at shows as everything looks smaller
smile.gif

I jump PF quite regularly but only for a very short time; So basically I'll school her on the flat and pop a grid or two at the end and then leave it at that. She gets a proper jumping sesh with the BOF once (or twice) a week. Antifaz gets similar treatment.

seaofdreams

Visit site
i compete 1.10m out at the moment and at home 1.10 - 1.25m but that also depends on what im doing E.G if im doing gridwork,courses,single fences ect

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I rarely jump at home if I do with my youngster I tend to jump about a meter, I jump bigger as part of a grid where the striding is sorted for him. He is currently jumping BN. My good jumping mare who is doing 1.25s I rarely jump at home probably only once or twice this year. She is very careful and basically doesn't need the practice. f I do jump her it is usually smaller but over an athletic grid with bounces etc.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I would probably jump once a week at home, certainly for no longer that 20-30 minutes. Do a few grids and then leave it. I don't want the horse to get stale. He goes over the same type of height as the class I'm entering him in. When at the venue he takes about 20 minutes to warm up and work in. He's popped over maybe a couple of fences before entering the arena &amp; then in he goes. That works for me &amp; him. I don't believe in jumping loads of practice fences before going in. This ensures he's warmed up, he's calm &amp; his head is right for the job in hand.

jess_asterix

Visit site
i dont usually jump at home but when i have a lesson i always make sure i am comfortably juming bigger than what i am competing at so i like to jump up to 1.15/1m20 at home then compete upto 1m10.
but i dont jump very ofen at home as i find they go stale

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I compete up to 1m10 but never really jump over that height at home. I concentrate on his canter, bounces, grids and related distances. In fact I have never jumped him over that and do not have a clue what he could actually do.

Rambo

Visit site
It is 'normal' to jump approximately 10cm higher at home than you do in the ring. This is because most JO's go up a max of 10cm.

If you are jumping BN and Disco I would expect you to be happily jumping 1.10m at home
smile.gif