Jumping in a 18x30m indoor school, help please?

Pidgeon

Visit site
Ok am struggling to get more than one fence in the school to play over until its light enough to school outside, so I'm after any help on this you can give please? Where exactly can I position the fences to get more than one in and to jump it from both reins?
On the plus side it is making me sit up well and keep my legs on all the time as otherwise when we turn to the fence he loses his back legs a little as the turns are pretty tight for a 17hh ginger beastie.

ruth83

Visit site
One at E one at B and one at X to jump diagonally?

Or do you mean a double? In which case, down the long side - it is perfectly possible to fit a 3 or 4 fence grid in a 40m school so a one stride double, though snug, will fit in a 30m arena.

Other exercises you could do are a jump at X straight across the school (so to jump it straight you would go A-C) and jump it from M-K and F-H to increase your horses perception of take off zone, pick his feet up and to focus your riding.

meardsall_millie

Visit site
Angles are your friend!

You can put 4 jumps in a cross at X so you can keep jumping across the diagonal or 5 jumps with one upright on the CL so you have to jump straight across the middle and the others on angles.

Pidgeon

Visit site
One at B and E gets a bit boring :rolleyes: so like the idea of X fence in the middle of the school, will definately try that one. And the straight across the centre with the X off it is an inspired idea! I struggle with a spread at E or B as he anticipates the end of the school so backs off and clips the back pole so doubt we'd get a one strided double in? Ah Y shape sounds good to, why did I never think of these ideas:rolleyes: thanks both

ruth83

Visit site
If you want to do competitive jumping, you need to get him jumping more confidently towards the end of the school. It is fairly typical to see fences about 4 or 5 horse strides from the side of the school in indoor competitions, there isn't that much space!!

Pidgeon

Visit site
I know and he is good competitively indoors but we can only get 3 possibly 4 strides at a push before having to turn or going splat into the wall :eek: Perhaps it isn't quite 30m long as never measured the school. It is however a godsend in the winter as it means I can keep him ticking over.

meardsall_millie

Visit site
You can also put some fences along the CL in a zig zag.

I tend to go for 2 oxers and 2 uprights so I can always jump one or the other off either rein. Place them so you have room to get across the middle and you have plenty of room for flatwork too. :)