Jumping in a dressage saddle

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
I only have a dressage saddle, a Wintec Isabel, which is fab for flatwork, but I have started doing a little bit of jumping with Axey and am getting a bit worried as I feel like I'm going to get jumped out of the saddle every time. Being a baby he does put in these massive leaps but I do feel like I'm about to fall off every time!
I though I was being a wimp but someone said it was probably the saddle, and a gp or jumping saddle would stop me from doing this.
Has anyone else jumped in a dressage saddle and felt like this, or is it me?

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I have a wow dressage saddle and jump in it. Ok, its not ideal, but to be honest, for the sizes of the fences im doing, its not that much of an issue. It's more important for me to have a good position on the flat anyway!

Then again, my horsey is no baby and has done a lot of jumping in his past so tends not to make much of a fuss of things.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
All I have that fits my girlies is a dressage saddle. On storm it's fine but I won't attempt to jump Missy in it because she put's in stupidly big leaps and then bucks like a b!tch and because I'm not very secure in that saddle I stand a higher chance of getting decked
smirk.gif

Louby

Visit site
Ive only got a dressage saddle and have occasionally jumped in it but only small jumps (Im a wimp) Maybe 3' max. I felt 'ok' with the small jumps.
Mind you the Isabelle has a much deeper seat than mine.

Tempi

Visit site
my dressage saddle holds me more securely than my jumping one!!!! I dont really jump much but if im jumping at home i jump in my dressage. If im competing or jumping away from home i use my jumping saddle
smile.gif

evsj

Visit site
Be careful if you are starting to jump in a dressage saddle on a baby. you may be more easily unbalanced in a dressage saddle and you want to give your baby the all the help you can so that he/she enjoys jumping. I would be concerned that the design of the saddle will not help you acheive that all important jumping position and if horsey puts in big, green leaps you may get left behind/weight thrown out of your seat.

Best to get a gp or jump saddle, especially for teaching a youngster.