Jumping in a dressage saddle

ponies4ever

Visit site
as above just curious to see how high you would go? I currently only have a dressage that fits and I'm starting to get fidgety... :)

Farma

Visit site
I used to because my gp was so uncomfortable, I used to jump up to about 1mtr to 1.10 which was mine and my horses limit not because the dressage saddle was restrictive!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I've been SJ and XC in a dressage saddle, probably jumped up to 80cm in it but that was not to do with the saddle. Was when I first got him and I was borrowing it from his previous owner for a couple of weeks until I could get a GP saddle fitted.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I've jumped 1.30 in a dressage saddle but that was just when trying out a horse. I certainly wouldn't jump a full up course at that height in the saddle. anything around a mtr should be fine though. You will find stirrup length is a compromise as when at true jumping length my knee was in front of the flap

ponies4ever

Visit site
Ok it certainly sounds like I should go for it I was asking as I have been offered the chance to compete at hickstead in a team on Sunday so will not have a chance to get saddler out before then. It's only 85 but I havnt jumped more than a cross in one before. PaddyMonty how on earth did u get into that situation? Very impressive though

AFB

Visit site
I think it depends on how 'blocky' your DR saddle is - if you can get your knee in front of the saddle you can probably jump more comfortably

ponies4ever

Visit site
It's typical isn't it when the only saddle to fit my jumping horse is a dr and only one I have for my non jumper is a close contact jump *sigh*

Mistletoeandawine

Visit site
I used to do everything on my Arab in a dressage saddle. She was an Arab that could, not didn't so we showed, dressaged, showjumped, evented and hacked in it. I loved it, now don't feel settled in anything other than a dressage saddle.

paddi22

Visit site
you can go as high as you are comfortable in, but the danger is you will develop a weird jumping position (too long stirrups etc) cause the saddle will change your balance