jumping nerves!!!

princesskelly

Visit site
so i'm of to show sunday only bit of in-door jumping but my nerves get so bad. it will be first show in nearly a year. only planning on doing 2'3 maybe 2'6 if i'm feeling ok. my mare is brilliant will jump anything but does'nt like being told what to do just have to sit and point. i know i'm being a baby but cant help it my nerves take over so if you any tip's on how to controll them that would be great.
crazy.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
OK, deal with it like I do before I go on stage......tell yourself that nobody is making you do it - you do it because you enjoy it and you want to do it. If you wanted to, you could just not go. But you want to!! You're also just as good as the majority of other people competing and you've got a horse who enjoys it......also helps to think of butterflies not as 'nerves' but as 'excitement' which in effect it is - even if it's nervous excitement!

K9Wendy

Visit site
My daughter takes rescue remedy & kalms... I think she needs a stiff drink but she's too young! Other than this, and deep breathing I can't recommend anything else other than well done for trying, that is half the battle..

samp

Visit site
Just be positive picture yourself clearing all the fences - it is easy, you can fall around - good luck

the watcher

Visit site
the only way you can reduce this is to make sure you are competing well within your comfort zone..so for example if you want to showjump in competition at 2'9", then you need to be comfortable around a 3' track at home at least.

At the end of the day anything can happen to put you off, but if the jumps look titchy then it is one less thing to be nervous of.

Some people thrive on competition nerves and some horse perform better, but if that is not you, then you need ot make it as boring and routine as possible

serena2005

Visit site
always think of the next jump and where you are going, dont even think about what you are jumping.... think ahead then you wont give yourself enough time to worry.

good luck

MagicMelon

Visit site
Try to go early in the class, I find your nerves can flare up more if you have to watch a few riders possibly cocking it up! Dont arrive with masses of time to spare or you'll stand about and stress. Arrive in time to tack up, go and walk the course (do NOT look at the fences or you'll worry about them! Just walk the course to know where your going and the striding), come go and warm up and concentrate SOLELY on warming up. Then go in and do your thing! I think the key is to keep busy and focused on something in the run up to your time to jump. And just think of it as a schooling round so there's no pressure! Good luck.

4whitesocks

Visit site
TFT TFT TFT TFT......was too scared to jump a cross pole after lost my nerve last summer - few weeks ago jumped 95 (what's that in inches??) anyway, it's brilliant (thought field therapy) if you search on the for TFT you'll find some great threads about it