Jumping position weak ankle

Michen

Visit site
I’m around 10 weeks post op now for broken ankle. It gets stiff and still feels weak at times (I vet wrap the outside of my boot for hunting or jumping) but I have good range of movement and am even starting to be able to run for short intervals again etc.

However, my heel is flying up when I’m jumping. I’m able to get my stirrups back to the length they usually are when jumping, and am concentrating as hard as I can on really shoving that heel down. It’s not painful, feels fine, no stiffness etc when riding but for whatever reason subconsciously I am not getting the weight down into it.

Any tips for this? Almost considering making my stirrups uneven. Lots of time in a two point to strength it further?

I haven’t been back to the physio for a month as struggled with time/work but am going next Friday.

Doing tons of squats, lunges, physio exercises etc and all seems fine and well until I’m actually heading over a jump.

AandK

Visit site
I used to have this issue with my left ankle after a mild injury many years ago. What sorted it was spending a lot of time hacking (horse was handily coming back from an injury) concentrating on my left leg, it's position and my heel. Now I am a lot more even.
I am sure physio will help and give you some strengthening excersises. I expect in a few months time it will be a lot better!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I did all the tendons in my right foot, and had to buy bigger stirrups and boots 2 sizes bigger to fit a bandage on under the boot. Pretty much, once my foot was bandaged and in the boot, there was no way my heel could come up.

I bought Royal Rider 90 degree stirrups because...

1. They were already turned at 90 degrees so if I lost my stirrup (was eventing with useless ankle) I could get it back. Normal stirrups would not have been accessible as I could not flick my ankle round to get the normal stirrups, I had to bend down and actually lift the foot in.

2. The Royal Rider ones were FAB, lightweight, angled sides to be able to be quick release in an emergency, very important when you are riding below par with dodgy ankle.

3. They were cheesegrater bottoms, so very grippy.

Flicker

Visit site
When I started jogging, my ankles really hurt. I have done the ligaments in both (drunkenly falling off dance floors and platform shoes but that’s for another day...). A work colleague who runs marathons suggested I prop my feet up wire cushions under my calves, and write each letter of the alphabet in the air with each foot. The full alphabet encompasses the full range of movement for the ankle. I did 2 alphabets every night and my ankles became loads stronger and coped with jogging much better. It’s a quick and easy exercise, it may help you.

View

Visit site
Having broken my left ankle twice (the first only diagnosed 24 years after the event), I can ride flat or slow hacking in long boots, but find that I am better with short boots and gaiters for jumping and fast hacking i.e. shorter stirrups.

Just a thought.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I sprained an ankle badly over a year ago and one of the instructors at the gym gave me some exercises for strengthening it. Rocking forward onto tiptoes then back onto heels, turning feet out onto outer side of foot then back onto inner side.

Michen

Visit site
Thanks guys appreciate the advice! I’m using royal rider stirrups which are wide but not sure they are the angled ones....

Mule

Visit site
Reformer Pilates is excellent for ankle strength. There's a lot of focus on developing strength and flexibility of the feet.