jumping question

L

lilym

just a quick question, i have just started popping over tiny, pathetic x poles, and am managing those alright, but what about contact?? i don't want to put her of by jagging her mouth, but i used to have a bad habit of leaning forwards and throwing the contact away causing her to run out or stop, currentley i am just trotting over the x poles, giving my hands forward over the "jump" and keeping my position fairly upright, but should i be keeping a feel on her mouth the whole way over the jump if that makes sense?? she is the sort of mare that always needs a little re-assurance.

GTs

Visit site
I would take a lesson -

Me personally 2-3 strides out close my eyes, and kick on - what happens from then on, I have no idea, but it seems to work.

Bossanova

Visit site
No, you should be giving with your hands, especially when you are inexperienced. There may be times at a far later stage when you need to have a slight feel on the horse's mouth in the air but for now, as much freedom as poss is the rule (obviously without chucking the reins at the horse!!)

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
yes you should follow the action with your hand. But really you should have a few lessons to get your position and balance correct. by throwing your hands forward it will tip your weight and could get you infront of the action, by fixing your hands and elbows you risk not letting her stretch over the jump, you should not jabb her unless you are getting left behind, in which case you need lessons for this also.
Get a feel for when the pony dips his hindquarters slightly as he goes to take off, keep sitting up until then, when you feel this allow give with your elbows, wrists and hands to go forward with the action of the neck, but do not over do over do it by throwing your hands up the neck to the ears. Hope this makes sense.
regards
Dawn