Jumping saddle for X-Wide pony ? HELP!

Vicki1986

Visit site
i would like a nice jumping saddle to use for SJ and XC, hunter trials, hunting etc.

im not a very serious competitor as such but i would like to save hard and get something really nice.

Currently will is in a Wintec Wide (with the narroiwest plate) so i think in normal saddle terms that is an Xwide fitting

I have a lot of problems with saddles slipping forward as she has a huge belly and is bigger behind than infront, and no wither.

She has quite a short back and quite large shoulders so im not even sure how a jumping saddle will work on her as theres not alot of room for a forward cut flap

Any suggestions or recommendations greatly appreciated for any saddles under £1000

Kelly1982

Visit site
Dont really know what saddles are out there at the mo but i have got a wintect close contact jumping saddle.

I know you will probably want something a lot smarter than the wintec but definatly try a close contact if you can.

I found that my position really improved with this type of saddle and i felt more 'at one' with my horse if that makes sense.

Obvioulsy this will not work for everyone as the saddler said you will either love it or hate it but worth a try imo.

Kezza

Visit site
Pop and see William's leather saddle as he has massive shoulders and is largely built (as I like to call it rather than fat) but it looks nice on him and is extremely comfortable with enough knee rolls for jumping.

Other than that I'd opt for a cross country saddle rather than jumping as I think any jumping saddle will block willow's shoulder.

xxx

Kezza

Visit site
he is fit and well, had a little concern that he was resting one front foot ahead of the other but farrier has assured me he is just resting that way and I am being paranoid as usual!

I am not sure of the make but I'm sure Tony the saddler could tell us, anyway, come and have a look at it sometime and see what you think.

Ideal make a very good cross country saddle on a highland tree which might be suitable.

You looked lovely yesterday out in all your flourescent gear, very cute! You've done so well with Willow, she looks great.

xxx

Vicki1986

Visit site
Ah thank you, she is a moose sometimes but we are getting there slowly. Yes we were a tad bright, gets dark so quick now i get worried about getting stuck out in dark!!

I love ideal saddles they are so comfy might look down that route!!

But yes will have a nose when i remember!

you going out to do any shows this year? well whats left of it? we are heading up to DDRC's xmas one x

Kezza

Visit site
Yeah ideal are nice, they have a highland cob tree or something which is wider than their other trees which you can have a cross country saddle made on for under £1000. I shall look it up for you as I had one made for my old horse.

We went to the xmas show at old mill last year, and we dressed up, here is a photo, looking good eh? You can't see the lovely "Santa's little helper" apron I am wearing which had bells on it though...

K--Wills-3.jpg

Not sure if we are going this year, might take the nutter along ...

Kezza

Visit site
here you go, ideal saddles can be made in whatever seat size you choose even though the site only shows 17" they do 16" or 16.5" as I had a 16.5" made:

International Event with wider seat and panel
It became apparent during the 1990’s that a Saddle with a wider bearing panel was required thus necessitating a new Tree design. The primary advantage of this Tree is to allow a wider Gullet and at the same time increase the bearing area in contact with the horse. By spreading the load it assists in alleviating any potential back problems. Additionally the wide Gullet allows freedom of movement giving more opportunity for horse and rider to realise their full potential.
cat2.jpg

or

International Event VSD
For the customer wishing to ride straighter we have developed the VSD Event. This VSD is also available with our 286 wide tree
cat5.jpg

or have a look at their website:

http://www.idealsaddle.com

Kezza

Visit site
Frogpool do interest free credit where you can delay your first payment if you want for a while ... that's what I did.

Kezza

Visit site
me too hun, me too! If you can try to get David to do the fitting too as he is excellent. If you take Willow to him he'll do it I reckon.

Kezza

Visit site
You should be able to ride in a well fitting saddle without an overtight girth or sticky numnah and it stay pretty much in place I reckon!

If you feel like it moves whilst riding or you get off and the hairs are rubbed the wrong way then it don't fit great ...

When we got Blue his saddle felt very unstable even though the tree was not too bad fit wise, it just wasn't quite right. We got sticky pads and girths with no elastic but nothing worked. Now he has a thorowgood cob saddle which is uncomfortable to ride in but very secure on him, he has normal numnahs and a girth with elastic in it now so he's very comfortable in it.

Even horses with no wither and the most extravagent of movement can have saddles which fit, mine fits and my boy is all over the place most of the time!

Another saddle range which are good for our type of ponies are saddle company saddles.

Vicki1986

Visit site
Yea to jump i have to have a limpet and stubben girth. I told my saddler is just wasnt good enough and she just said its the best you will get?! needless to say i dont use her anymore!!
thanks for the tips i will look into getting an appointment with david and getting up to frogpool!

Cullohill

photobucket.com
I can agree with all that recomend Ideal Saddles - but i am bias as i work for them!!

If you get a (qualified) saddle fitter to take a template and get some photographs of the horse we can make a saddle fit. As stated we can make any alterations to suit you and your horse.

We currently have a new saddle in the testing stage which is made for extremely wide horses so this maybe a good one for you??

If you let me know you location i can recomend a stockist/fitter for you if that helps?!?

And i def feel you could get something under £1k

Hope this helps

regalrendezvous

Visit site
i don't recomend the wintec jumping saddle for a very wide horse. I have one for my TB and it fits him fine. But for my welshie who is very very wide and has no wither (resembles a beer kegg!) We had the saddle on the largest gullet it just SLID round. Very scary...not a girth issue.

I have an ambasador jumping saddle in the widest gullet available. I love it and it fits him perfectly. No sliding at all and a very comfotable saddle. Looks good too!