Jumping saddles - knee blocks positioning

amycamycamyc

Visit site
Hello knowledgeable people.

I have two jumping saddles; a barnsby close contact one (like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barnsby-...019406?hash=item1cdb0b0f4e:g:4FsAAOSwQc1dnepS ) and a cheapy Tekna adjustable one (like this: https://equizoneonline.com/products/tekna-jumping-saddle )

I've noticed that my lower leg swings back a lot over jumps in the Tekna one, which is what i'm using currently as the Barnsby is far too narrow for my new mare (gutted!). I'm by no means the greatest rider in the world, but I definitely somehow manage to look less terrible in the Barnsby, my lower leg doesn't seem to budge, and I always felt very secure in it too. It occurred to me that I don't really know what is making the difference - it must be something to do with the shape of the saddles, but I don't know what exactly. I have also never adjusted the knee blocks in the Tekna from the day I got it out of the box - so I have no idea if perhaps it's just set up wrong for me and a simple re-velcroing of the blocks could solve all my problems (and save me £££ on a new saddle!). There are blocks velcro-d in front and behind the leg.

So my question is where should the blocks be positioned relative to the leg ideally?

be positive

Visit site
I cannot really help with positioning the blocks as I think you will need to play about yourself and see what suits you best but will comment on the saddles, the Barnsby is a proper jumping saddle, well designed for the job with plenty of room for the stirrups to go up, your bum to move back and if it fits you, and obviously it has to fit the horse, it should help you have a secure position, the Tekna is not any of those things it is a basic saddle for general riding, more of a GP than jump saddle and if your position is not totally secure will probably not really help whatever you do with the blocks although give it a try I suspect you may be best looking for something better suited to the job, I would probably start by removing them and work from there.

A good saddle can make a huge difference to your riding, a poor one can have very much the opposite effect.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
This is often an issue of where the stirrup bars are placed. On a proper jumping saddle they are usually set forward.

If the bars are in the wrong place there's not a lot you can do but change the saddle.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
This is often an issue of where the stirrup bars are placed. On a proper jumping saddle they are usually set forward.

If the bars are in the wrong place there's not a lot you can do but change the saddle.
I was going to say exactly this.
Even jumping saddles can have the bars in the wrong place for you, personally. I had an ideal jumping saddle in a model that lots of people rave about but I couldn't ride for toffee in it, I changed to another brand and it was an instant fix.

Wheels

Visit site
There are many reasons that can make your lower leg swing back - stirrup bar placement is one of them.

Did you get this saddle fitted to yourself and the horse? An out of balance saddle will certainly make an out of balance rider and horse.

Sometimes panels that are too thick or with the wrong / amount of flocking or the wrong shape for that particular horse will increase forces in strange ways and throw the saddle about, and therefore rider

Do you have pics of horse with and without the saddle?

amycamycamyc

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Sounds like probably not a simple fix with the blocks then! The tekna is great as it’s fully adjustable and has so far managed to fit every horse I’ve had with a bit of flocking/gullet changes (by a saddler, not just me) but it sounds like it’s not really doing any favours for my position. I hadn’t considered the stirrup bar placement but that makes total sense.

Might be time to consider a joint birthday and Christmas present to myself...

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It could even be twist width, that can destabilise the lower leg. You could try putting a little padding under the skirts, to smooth out the line from twist to the horse's ribcage, and see if that makes any difference. You can also get jump saddles with rear calf blocks but that's curing the symptom not the cause of course.