Jumping today. I messed up and feel so dam bad

beaconhorse

Visit site
I also worry that i have really knocked his confidence

Tomorrow is SJ at Kingswood, never been there before so went practising in the paddock today.

Only rode in the snaffle as I have been please with how much more confidence he is gaining and how much more forward he is getting in general. Still struggle with brakes sometimes but getting better.

He was a star jumping really well and starting to listen to half halts and asking him to collect more. It is very difficult for him to collect because of his EPSM but it will come with time.

He flew everything even the bigger jumps I have put up, which are now just under 1m. Which over months I have built him upto. He has not done any spreads at home so decided it was time he did. He took to them amazingly, thoroughly enjoyed it, by the end he was doing 1m high x 1m wide with ease.

THEN I MESSED UP BIG STYLE

I got one of the young girls to put a jump up, I did not realise how high she had put it and he knocked the pole off (twice) I got her to take the top pole back off but it was too late, it had knocked his confidence and he was running out and rushing I feel so very awful about. He did go over it eventually and I ended the session there. When I measured it later it was 1.20m

I suppose I will find out tomorrow at the competition if it has knocked his trust in me

Weezy

Visit site
Yes it sounds like he lost his confidence a tad, but you worked through that and ended the session on a good note - dont beat yourself up over it, you can always rework the ground you have already covered and jump for the next few sessions in your comfort zone

Stop feeling bad
laugh.gif

Peanot

Visit site
Hi, Before taking him to a show I would probably jump him at home and keep them small, just to gain his confidence. When you are confident that he is confident again, then progress from there. It is a shame that your friend put it up so high when you were doing so well. Don`t dwell on it, he`ll soon get it back if you keep within his comfort zone for a while, like Weezy says.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Keep the show easy for him, ie. keep the classes you enter small. If you enter a little class first and see how he is. If he jumps well then you can miss a class or two and jump what you had initially planned to do.

Pidge

Visit site
Don't worry Dee they are forgiving sorts
grin.gif
take it easy tomorrow jumping and let him have some fun and get his confidence back. You've done so well and progressed so much with his jumping don't worry about one setback xxx