Jumping Up...!

Shouna

Visit site
Help! My 11 month old choc lab has got so much love for everyone, that she struggles to contain it when she see's people. I just can't stop her jumping up at everyone. Great when you live on a farm, and people come visiting in clean clothes.....!

Can anyone suggest anway to teach her to stop jumping up.

mattilda

Visit site
Completely ignore the dog. Do not say down or look at her. Just turn away from her. She will soon learn that she only gets attention when all 4 feet are on the ground. My rottie used to do the same, and still does occasionally, but is much more well behaved now.

CAYLA

Visit site
As matilda, suggests ignoring her and turning your back, even around in circles, so she cannot jump up, as u are not still, and she wants to be at your face, front of your body, however it's hard if you live on a farm, as u cannot I pressume tell everyone to do the same, if they enter property, ans she is running loose, unless u do specific training sessions with a few regular visitors.
Ask then to pay her no attention what so ever, no talking, touching, eye contact, and when she runs to leap at them, ask them to turn their back or turn to the side and walk away, some also try putting their knee out, effectively kneeing her away from the body.
Whe she eventually gives up, and gets the message she is not getting the attention she wants, call her calmly, treat her and walk away from her.

Labs are exciteble at the best of times and attention, heightens that, no doubt your visitors pay her lots of attention.

u need to practice the same exercises in the house....if she comes into the house that is.
When your guests arrive, place her in the kitchen, let them in, give everyone 5 mins to settle, then let her in, if she bounds in, everyone ignore her, if she persists after a few mins, simply rmove her, back to the kitchen, no eye contact, or talk, just get her collar and lead her out.
Repaet this for aslong as it takes for her to get the message, that if she does not settle, she will be removed, it will all help to curb her excitement.
When she eventualy settles, hand her a treat, as a positive behaviour for her calmness.

Also, work on her recall, so u can call her to your side, if u are afraid she is going to jump at strangers, whilst u are training her.

Booboos

Visit site
Same as everyone else - ignore when she jumps up (fold your hands, turn your back, walk away), give treat/praise/cuddle when she has all four feet on the ground. If you can get everyone to consistently follow this rule she will give up within a couple of days (if anyone pets her, squeeles or says 'I don't mind' and lets her continue jumping up, the jumping up will be immediately re-inforced, so fundamentally you need to be really strict with your visitors).

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
As everyone else has said, ignoring works very well, but if in the case of your dog it doesn't, try this. When the dog jumps up, ie it's too late to stop it, just carry on walking into it, don't look or talk to it, just keep charging through. You will probably batter your knees into it a bit, and the dog will drop down onto two feet pretty quickly as you will have unbalanced it, and it will be confused. This works really well for those who are immune to being just ignored!

And ditto everyone who said you have to train the visitors too, they are generally much more difficult than the dogs!

Cyberchick

Visit site
My Weimaraner was a nightmare for jumping up. Wasnt to much of an issue until I came home at lunch time in my work clothes and my friend was pregnant. I used the Pet Controller Air Spray ( you know the one in the red can that sprays air, cant remember the correct name ) anyway I only had to use it twice, bingo! no more jumping up. Gets excited, thats fine but no more paw prints and listens to NO!

Shouna

Visit site
Thanks for all your advice, as you say its training the visitors that is the hardest, as she doesn't jump up at me or my hubby! Will have to get as strict with the human kind! It's a nightmare when people say, 'I don't mind', well actually I do! Keep any tips coming please. She has serious select hearing.