Jups' lesson with Hannah Biggs

Tempi

Visit site
So some of the older members will rememeber when my lovely Jups was born. I bred him myself (out of my medium level mare) and hes by Johnson (Jazz x Flemmingh). Ive done all the work myself aswell including backing over the last 3 months.

On Friday we went for our first ridden outing, a clinic with Hannah Biggs - I wasnt holding much hope as the day before we had lots of broncing which was uncharacteristic for him (it was peeing with rain though and thundering!). I lunged him lightly before we left to take any edge off, and then lunged him when we arrived aswell as there was a lunge pen (which was handy). I need not have worried though as he was perfectly behaved and didnt put a foot out of place the whole time.

Hannah was absolutly lovely and she really liked him and asked why I'd not done the young horse classes with him (am going to do 5yr olds next year but he wasnt ready this year and i'm in no hurry with him). We started on the walk making me follow his head with my hands and him staying in a rhythm. Then picked up to trot. She wanted his trot really up and out - ive been work on him stretching down into the contact but she wanted him powering up over the back and getting his forelegs out in front and shoulders looser. I was made to carry my hands a lot higher and get his head to follow the contact.

The canter was the same, although his canter is very uphill so we didnt have to work quite so much on getting him out from the shoulder, more on keeping the canter forwards as its very big and he can get stuck and 'climb' in the canter (ie not really going anywhere just upwards!!)

Some pictures (video stills so a bit blurry sorry) - notice hes got his micklem on, I had thought it was making a difference but actually I dont think its made enough difference to justify the money so its been sent back today. (I had it on hire luckily.)

Trot - you can see he needs to get his arse in gear and come up more in the front :D

319472_10150918659741759_403704035_n.jpg

Slightly better:

523966_10150918659876759_1678506005_n.jpg

Canter:

558312_10150918660081759_558963502_n.jpg

252795_10150918659656759_1368831472_n.jpg

Next outing is a few lessons with Andrew Gould, I trained with him with my old horse so looking forwards to seeing what he thinks of Jups.

Bloss is currently confined to her stable with mud fever and cellulitis and has just finished a course of bute and antibiotics;shes been in a small dry turnout paddock for a few hours over the weekend. Had a hack out in walk round the lanes and lunged yesterday and shes sound so going to get going with schooling again on Tuesday and see how her legs hold out.

And finally!! Shameless plug but would be grateful if people would like my Facebook page - www.facebook.com/ajgdressagetraining - am doing regular updates on the horses, teaching, clinics, and will be doing short videos with schooling tips in them both for the young and more advanced dressage horse.

Tempi

Visit site
Sounds like a fantastic lesson, go Jups!!! Interesting about the micklem. Hope Bloss continues to improve. :)

Thank you :) He was a star, love him (as you know!!)

Great report :) I can see what you mean about his canter, so uphill! That first canter photo in particular :)

Its funny because his canter is his weaker pace at the moment as he isnt strong enough yet - the trot rides better but looks worse in pictures!

Gosh hes looking great. He has grown into a big boy hasnt he. Do you plan to keep him?

Hes 16'1 1/2 at the moment, I think he will make 16'3. Ive got a photo of when I first sat on him 3 months ago and he looks like a tiny pony!! He is definitely for keeps, I would never ever sell him. Paris on the other hand (yearling) would go if I was offered the right money as realistically 3 horses is too many!!

Scarlett

Visit site
I can't believe that he's that old and that big! Seems like yesterday that you were showing us all pics of your spindly legged colt.

He looks super - I'm glad he's turned out so well for you and you got exactly what you wanted :)

Worried1

Visit site
Yay about time he got a report :) can't believe that little foal is all grown up!

Was wondering how you got on with the bridle... Now I know!

Well done x

Tempi

Visit site
Lovely horse, sounds like he's coming on well :)

Thank you, im very excited about him :)

I can't believe that he's that old and that big! Seems like yesterday that you were showing us all pics of your spindly legged colt.

He looks super - I'm glad he's turned out so well for you and you got exactly what you wanted :)

Thank you! Yes hes exactly what I wanted and even better, bless him :D

Yay about time he got a report :) can't believe that little foal is all grown up!

Was wondering how you got on with the bridle... Now I know!

Well done x

Haha, I was looking at some pictures of him the other day of him literally minutes old, its hard to believe he ever looked like that!

Tempi

Visit site
He's stunning, and has a real look of his mother about him, very similar colour?

They are identical in colour, the only difference is that Jups has one white foot. No one at the yard can tell them apart (ive only been on current yard a month). When I first moved he kept getting in with the mares during the day (when bloss was in her stable) and no one ever moved him back as they thought it was Bloss, LOL!! Luckily hes not escaped in with the ladies recently though!! :D

Beautifull boy!! So much like his mum. He 's coming on fab :) love the sound of Hannah where was she doing this clinic?

Back at Foxhills :) So was good for his first outing as obviously he knew where he was :)