Just 6 years in the making... mine and Vinnie's 1st event

millitiger

Visit site
I can't believe it is 6 years ago that I brought this ugly little person home

229554_7737139151_164_n.jpg

Over the last 2 years Vinnie has been to a few professional riders and admittedly he is not the easiest person to ride (one yard he lasted 4 days before I was summoned to collect him!). He has made little improvements but none of the riders could seem to unlock him and get the best from him.
Until this spring when he went to Vittoria who did an amazing job with him; instantly knowing how to ride him and build his confidence and working with his unconventional (her word!) ways, instead of trying to make him fit a mold.

SO he has been home since May, was going great guns with outings to dressage, xc schooling and then managed to bang his leg and had x-rays and the whole she-bang. thankfully clear but it took a good 6-7 weeks to get back on track.

We have had a few behavioural blips along the way but I am coming to accept that is just the way he is and not to get worked up about it.

He's been finding xc schooling extremely exciting- fine once he is over the first fence but while warming up he is throwing some pretty big leaps and some rears- any tips for getting the warm up over as quickly as possible??
I've tried lunging first but it doesn't help whatsoever.
1231682_10201972612665286_462644839_n.jpg

Anyhoo, we finally got to our first event last weekend! :)

I haven't been out for over 2.5 years but tried not to get too excited or nervous as I knew Vinnie would need me to be uber confident for him.

Warmed up well for dressage, lost some relaxation and softness when we went through the gap in the hedge to the arenas but he held it together for a 37 which was mid-range. I know we can do much better once he relaxes so not too fussed.

1234354_10202023456616353_1955575825_n.jpg

Only SJ and the warm up was very busy (1 warm up, 2 x SJ arenas) but although he was very buzzy, he used it by going forwards instead of upwards so all happy :)
Into the arena and he shrunk into himself a bit, had a rapidly sideways moment between No1 and No2 but I regathered him, regrouped and he popped No2 once he got his brain cells back.
Just tapped the last fence out for 4 faults, I could have got him to keep him up by holding his head for him but was willing to sacrifice it in the hope it will help him out in later rounds.

XC- I knew I was going to have to ride like I stole him for the first 5 fences as it looped around the warm up and No4 was quite a large drop.
Warmed up like a bit of a loon once he realised what was next but managed to stay forward and only had one Spanish Riding School moment.
As expected, the first 5 fences he was very green but I growled and praised as appropriate and he got out of the first field clear! :D
He gained in confidence all of the way around and for the second half was lovely; forward, relaxed and in a lovely rhythm and we lolloped home like that, just popped fences out of his stride.
We were pretty slow but I don't care as we were clear and both had huge smiles over the finish line :D

Slight issue is that in Vinnie's head he has been around Badminton and is feeling very cocky and full of himself at home now- we have another event next weekend so fingers crossed I get some control and input back before then.

There aren't too many photos as mum was too nervous and she thinks she will jinx us if she brings a camera so these are from her phone

602367_10202023462616503_1194438789_n.jpg

933930_10202023463016513_1296641630_n.jpg

PorkChop

Visit site
Woohoo, fantastic result, really really well done - that is a lot of horse to get to grips with! You look lovely together, good luck for the next one.

humblepie

Visit site
How exciting and well done. Is that your OH in first photo - did wonder if you should put that you were refering to the horse....(sorry bad sense of humour, no offence meant to horse or person). I think Vinnie is cracking and you have put in so much work with him that lovely to see you out and about with him.

millitiger

Visit site
Yay! fabulous :)

So nice to see you out on your hoss. (was going to put little hoss but decided that was silly!!)

:D

thank you, nice to finally be out on him!

Woohoo, fantastic result, really really well done - that is a lot of horse to get to grips with! You look lovely together, good luck for the next one.

Yes, lots of horse indeed! He is lucky he was bought by someone 5'10, not 5'4, he isn't meant to be this big! :)

Well done! It's been a long haul for you and you've really tried to do right by him - great to see it paying off.

Thank you :) I have had lots of doubts over the years about my ability to ride him and lots of doubt whether I was doing the right thing by persevering but the way he felt on the xc last weekend makes it worth it all as he really enjoyed himself.

How exciting and well done. Is that your OH in first photo - did wonder if you should put that you were refering to the horse....(sorry bad sense of humour, no offence meant to horse or person). I think Vinnie is cracking and you have put in so much work with him that lovely to see you out and about with him.

Not my OH lol! If only there was a Ugliest Foal Photo comp, I think I have the guaranteed winner! :)
Vinnie also think Vinnie is cracking now, so nice to feel his self-confidence growing.

Well done, onwards & upwards! Although I do think you eventers are a little bit loony, it all sounds far too dangerous!

Thank you. The actual danger comes with Vinnie's anticipation of eventing; he is fine once we are out and doing something, like he waits to breathe until after the 1st fence.

Asha

Visit site
What a smashing looking horse, and an amazing transformation. Its great to see all your time and hard work has paid off. Congratulations

millitiger

Visit site
Congratulations; you must feel just great! :D

thank you, yes I think I was smiling solidly for about 48 hours :)

Wow what a change from when you got him! He looks fab now :D

Huge change, he couldn't really help but improve though from that little runt!

Love him, he's always been one of my favourite HHO horses. You've done a super job with him and congrats on your first event.

Aah, thank you :) I've had a lot of help with him to try and ensure he has the best training and experiences. He's one of my favourites too most of the time :)

Lovely thread. I love him too. Well done, what a lovely feeling it must of been :)

Was a great feeling thank you.
I had almost convinced myself I didn't want to event anymore but what a change when you take a horse xc who really enjoys it and wants to do it. He made me really enjoy myself.

What a smashing looking horse, and an amazing transformation. Its great to see all your time and hard work has paid off. Congratulations

Aah, thank you. He is very handsome apart from his breezeblock head but even that seems to suit him.

millitiger

Visit site
Woohoo! well done :D

thank you :)

Well done! He is just lovely and from the pictures he clearly dotes on you.

Thanks, yes he really is a mummy's boy and is more like a lap dog than a horse most of the time :)

Yay well done! !! Looking brilliant hopefully lots more happy eventing reports now!

Thank you, fingers crossed!

It's so lovely to see all your hard work pay off :) you look super together! Are you going to sneak any more in before the season ends??

Going to Swalcliffe next weekend hopefully and then I think we will be trying our hand at hunting.

Well done, I remember that first photo!

I'm never quite sure when I look at that photo why on earth I bought him, real ugly duckling :)