Just a proud little gloat about the pony we were told to give up on!

Elsiecat

Visit site
I was given (yes, shock horror - still hasn't been beaten with sticks either) an overweight pony. When they unloaded her at our house, she was chucking her legs high into the air as she walked. We cringed a little but didn't make a comment. We got the farrier out the next day who reckoned her feet hadn't seen any attention in at least a year. She also hadn't in their words seen another horse in about 14 years.
We noticed her back left leg was stiff and she couldn't properly weight bear on it. Farrier said he personally would call it a day with her as at the time she was literally an in-pain field ornament.

Turns out she had been stuck in an electric fence some months earlier and this was the impact of that.

Got the vet out a few days later. Que box rest for just over 3 weeks as chasing after my horses just wasn't helping her. Vet spent some time looking her over and said he really didn't think we'd been given the right passport and that they must have had her sold to them with the wrong one. He put her age at 10 or 11 maximum and offered to sign for a new passport should we lose the old one.

Anyway, she came out a lot better and only ever so slightly lame. We put her in a small sectioned of paddock and within about another month (sounds a very long time but I didn't want to chuck her right back out and 'undo' the box rest) with regular walks slowly building up the weight with the saddle on her back, shes now completely back to normal and fully weight baring.

Last weekend a family friend brought her two boys round.
We tacked her up and put the older, braver boy on her.
She was amazing.
She just stood there.
Ears back at first but as we walked her slowly they started flipping forward and back, more frequently going to the front.
By the end she had her ears completely forward and was completely enjoying herself.

Her feet are now a nice shape and she has completely changed shape. She's starting to get muscle and is a lot lighter. Got a little more weight to go but nothing you'd be concerned about.

Really proud of her :):):)
Set ourselves the goal of the oldest lad doing a gymkhana with pony this summer. I fully believe she'll do it.

So proud of her I can't get over it :D

Elsiecat

Visit site
71891_4427968705056_1151575612_n_zpscf7754a1.jpg

Here she is within about 6 seconds of him being on her back.
Forgive the leadrope over nose. We just did it as some insurance incase she was shocked and did anything dangerous as she can be quite opinionated sometimes. Came off about 2 minutes later when we realised she was fine.
In the end I just held onto the reins lightly under her chin. She was such a dream!!!

Last edited:

Elsiecat

Visit site
Let me just say that skinny looking back end is an illusion. She needs more muscle there yes but skinny there she is not! :eek::rolleyes:

ladyt25

Visit site
Yay! Cute. What is her breeding do you think? Reminds me of the ponies that used to be about when I was a kid - 'quirky' I think you'd call them but they always did a bit of everything. With attitude! :D Are they welsh crosses or connie crosses I wonder? there used to be 4 like that at the riding school I went to as a kid, they were all 'characters' shall we say. Love it!