Just back from first Games Maker shift at Greenwich Park

Faithkat

Visit site
Shattered - 10 hour shift but got to meet some competitors (sorry to get excited) and have started the pin badge collection (thank you Canadian Equestrian Team :))

Went to the dress rehearsal of the Opening Ceremony last night. I'm not giving away any secrets but it was BRILLIANT; there are some quite jaw-dropping moments.

D'ya wanna see some pics of Greenwich Park?
Arena
LPIC1559.jpg

LPIC1571.jpg

Covered warm-up/practice area (this is mine after the Games, right?)
LPIC1551.jpg

XC Fence 1
LPIC1549.jpg

XC Fence 6 (yep, you have to jump the rings!)
LPIC1564.jpg

XC Fence 7 (at the top of the hill next to the Royal Observatory) It doesn't do justice to the gradient of the slope . . . . .
LPIC1573.jpg

and this is the run down the hill from Fence 7 . . . and yes, there is a tree in the middle of the course
LPIC1567.jpg

Faithkat

Visit site
A couple more then:

More XC jumps but didn't walk across to see what numbers they are!
LPIC1550-1.jpg

Practice/warm up areas (drool); the surfaces are all fibresand as far as I could ascertain
LPIC1563.jpg

Monday night - Olympic Stadium
LPIC1501.jpg

The ArcelorMittal Orbit
LPIC1502.jpg

LPIC1506.jpg

LPIC1509.jpg

My next shift is on Friday and the Venue General Manager for Greenwich Park told my manager yesterday that he "must make sure she goes into the grandstands to watch the horse inspection"!!!!! I'll take some pics but by then I'll be camping and not back home until next Tuesday night so don't know when I'll be able to post pics but I will as soon as I can :)
More pics will follow. Apart from the stables and obviously the actual seating areas for which people have tickets, I appear able to go everywhere so . . . . . . . :) :)

Oh, and by the way, the ground is perfect :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Wow - looks amazing, hope you have a great time helping out :)

A friend who's grooming went down yesterday - don't think she's had a day off in months! :)

CILLA

Visit site
Great pictures all who are going on Monday have a great day my daughter and i are so looking forward to it. The weather looks reasonable for Monday as well !!!

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
I know that people on site have access to the jumps, it was the wider public that aren't supposed to see photos until tomorrow AFAIK.

midi

Visit site
Ohh looks very nice! my sister is a game maker too, i think shes going to be doing some equestrian ones, jealous ;(!

sam_m

Visit site
I know that people on site have access to the jumps, it was the wider public that aren't supposed to see photos until tomorrow AFAIK.

I was under this understanding, knowing someone who works for GB Rowing and the fact they have passworded photo albums on there phone so that should if get lost/stolen people can't see the areas!

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
I was under this understanding, knowing someone who works for GB Rowing and the fact they have passworded photo albums on there phone so that should if get lost/stolen people can't see the areas!

General pictures of the site are fine, it's just the pictures of the fences that are banned until tomorrow. We were all told that we'd be kicked off the Games if we did it.

Fidgety

Visit site
It does all look incredible! I'm like a kiddy waiting for Christmas day and counting the days down to Monday!

sam_m

Visit site
General pictures of the site are fine, it's just the pictures of the fences that are banned until tomorrow. We were all told that we'd be kicked off the Games if we did it.

Yes that's what I mean, the woman I know has passworded her album on her phone as it's not just general pictures of Dorney that's accessible to everyone to see pre games

teapot

Visit site
Great pics - can't wait to be there :D

Out of interest, what's the difference between a volunteer posting photos and any of the riders posting photos? There are plenty enough on fb if you know where to look...

Genuine question here :)

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
I'm guessing the riders won't be kicked out :D

I doubt there's much they can do, but there's no doubt that they've all been told in very strict terms. I agree though that there are lots out there.

I'd just hate for any volunteer to lose their role because of it. They're very serious about it.

Daffodil

Visit site
I was very much opposed to Greenwich as the venue for all this, but I must say, having seen your photos (and I hope you don't get into trouble over posting them) my reaction is WOW! It does look utterly splendid:D

teapot

Visit site
I'm guessing the riders won't be kicked out :D

I doubt there's much they can do, but there's no doubt that they've all been told in very strict terms. I agree though that there are lots out there.

I'd just hate for any volunteer to lose their role because of it. They're very serious about it.

But whilst I can understand not wanting to blow the security of the Opening Ceremony - anyone who's going to be jumping that course on Monday is there and will have seen it up close and probably already twice, maybe 3 times. So what's the issue? Nothing's being given away so to speak...

sam_m

Visit site
But whilst I can understand not wanting to blow the security of the Opening Ceremony - anyone who's going to be jumping that course on Monday is there and will have seen it up close and probably already twice, maybe 3 times. So what's the issue? Nothing's being given away so to speak...

It ruins the big unveil of it all. I know from talking to my friend in GB Rowing they are not meant to post anything but they do, it is literally written what they wear each day etc etc so I can't imagine they've told they aren't meant to post anything in public until told so!

acw295

Visit site
So excited!!! :D

I'm there Sunday and Monday, I may wet myself with excitement before then, dreamt about being there last night, rather tragic really ha!

It looks fantastic, can't believe its nearly here.

Merlotmonster

Visit site
Looks amazing!! I can't wait till Tuesday now.. Had a call from one of our clients who had a drop out so am now going to watch the eventing showjumping with full hospitality!! Ok I know I was a last minute replacement but not going to let that bother me as I sip my champagne! He he:)