Just back from the vet with Rory...

amage

Visit site
When we came home from the yard his tummy was bloating and rapidly looking more and more swollen every minute. I brought him out to the toilet and despite much sniffing and squatting he didn't seem able to urinate or pooh. Rang the vet and they said get him in asap so off we went with him doing some pitiful moaning and groaning on the way there. There was LOTS of gurgling and noises in his tummy which was god news but he was very blocked up and looked colicky. After a rectal exam vet decided we had two options either dose him with a laxative type drug or inject him to make him vomit. We decided on the vomiting as the laxative effects would continue for quite a while whereas the vomit would empty his tummy and let her see quicker was there anything else going on. Popped him on the scales for dosage and he was 7.3kgs. so injection administered and poor Rory basically exploded...and 30 minutes later after a frighteningly large amount of puking we popped him back on the scales to find he was down to 6.7kgs!!!!!!!! Poor little sod had a horrendous dose of Gluttony! It looks as though he basically ate all of the yard cats food very very quickly and bunged himself up. Cats get a mixture of scraps and cat food and their food dishes have no been moved to a location where he can't access them. Poor little sod is now feeling very sorry for himself. Any suggestions as to how to teach my animals that if they really want to visit the vet try and at least do it in normal working hours...my lot seem to only get sick out of hours...September is now proposed to be the first month this year when I have no vet bills!!

amage

Visit site
Lucky fella! Was it Bloat? A lot of dogs don't come back from that, well done for spotting it in time.

No wasn't actual bloat but was afraid it was hence why I rang vets so quickly...was just that small terrier decided to stuff half a kg of random foods into his tummy. It wasn't hard to spot....normally his body looks like a contoured coke bottle shape when viewed from above...today it was more like a Bulmers pint bottle! And despite the fact that it was the vet gave him the jab to make him sick he blames me...when it was all over she got cuddles and I am still barely getting a glance from him! Poor monkey

reddie

Visit site
A similar thing happened with my jrtx. She had her dinner as normal, then 15 minutes later her stomach was bloated. She was enormous and seemed uncomfortable. Took her to the vets, he examined her and said it looked like she had eaten loads of food. I remembered the door of the cupboard was open and she probably had eaten loads of dry dog mixer!! She didn't need any treatment and was back to a normal size the next day. all I can say is that we keep food out of the way!! And I missed out on a night out wth my mates cos of the dog!!

amage

Visit site
A similar thing happened with my jrtx. She had her dinner as normal, then 15 minutes later her stomach was bloated. She was enormous and seemed uncomfortable. Took her to the vets, he examined her and said it looked like she had eaten loads of food. I remembered the door of the cupboard was open and she probably had eaten loads of dry dog mixer!! She didn't need any treatment and was back to a normal size the next day. all I can say is that we keep food out of the way!! And I missed out on a night out wth my mates cos of the dog!!

Aw the poor girl...vet has recommended some olive oil on his food for next day or two to ensure it passes through easy enough. I had completely let my guard down as he is not a very food oriented dog so I never considered he would gorge himself like that. he is usually not too pushed about food and tosay had actually eaten all his brekkie...