Just booked Harley in for the snip Monday....

galaxy

Visit site
.... please tell me it's gonna be ok?

I've always not knowed what to think about neutering... I thought it was the done thing when I got him and then my vet disagreed and told me unless I had a problem with him he does not neuter male dogs!

So for the past 2.5 years I have had no issues with him so let it go. Had plenty of comments, but ignored them! Then today he had his ball with me in the stable and trotted out to the yard, came back 30 secs later.... no ball. He is great at "finding" his ball and loves it so I told him to "find it". He was then in and out the barn sniffing for it. 2 mins later I realised he wasn't with me so I called him. It was very windy and he didn't come back. So me and my friend walked round the yard yelling.... nothing. Her boyfriend had ridden his bike to fix the bottom gate (just over half a mile away) around the same time I told him to find his ball so she rang him to see if H had followed him. Nope. I then start to panic as he'd been gone about 5 minutes and he never has before. The yard has a bridlepath right next to it so I go one way and my friend the other. I still thought he was looking for his ball and couldn't hear me yelling, although he has never been out of sight that long. The further I walked the more I started to panic as he'd never gone that far. Then my friend rang me. She had gone towards the road and as she got level with the gate her boyfriend yelled saying he had Harley! Someone I knew had been walking in a woods OVER THE MAIN ROAD and a good half mile the other side and found him!!!!!!! I then got a voicemail from her left 5 mins earlier saying she had him. He had gone over a mile and crossed a main road in less than 5 minutes!!!!!!!!! I am gobsmacked and it really scared me. I can only think it was a bitches scent for him to have gone that far and fast. He would chase a cat, but a cat chase is never that far. I am just very lucky he didn't get hit by a car and was found.

So he went down the surgery this afternoon for his pre op check and booked in Monday morning. Vets only concern is that he is a timid dog and it wouldn't help and the worst case scenario is nervous agression... (booked myself in for different vet than usual so I different have to justify myself!) But he wasn't concerned enough to say no and thought it was good idea. Me being extra careful around other dogs for a while is better than under a car! I have spoken to my agility trainer who also does obedience and we are going to refreshen up his training too.

Sorry, long post. Just needed to vent and for people to tell me I'm doing the right thing!!!

Last edited:

CAYLA

Visit site
I know what that panick feels like and it's not a nice feeling.
I was shocked at you title as I know you did not want to neuter, what can I say a, your panic may have gotten the better of you and you mind is in over drive, it could simply have been an animal scent, or as you say it could have been the bitch scent.
b, Obs Im for neutering to be honest:p so whilst I don't think it will do any harm at all:)
Did the gentleman have a bitch with him, the one that has him?
I suppose there is the risk of him ending up in the hands of someone not wanting to give him back, more so seeing he is entact.
If you are reallt undecided maybe book the op for a later date missus (don't stress) im sure you had enough of that today:eek:

galaxy

Visit site
no, I had no real intentions on neutering... but it hasn't taken a lot to sway me!! lol!

We are decided on doing it now. In some way it feels like a relief to have him done. Just know how much he is going to stress at the vets.... But when I relayed my concerns to the vet he said for me to drop him in a 8 (rather than 8.30-10) so he'll do the op before his regualr clients and then hopefully he'll be recovered enough by the end of morning surgery for when he checks on him so he should be able to come home lunchtime rather than 4.

It was a lady who found him with her daughter. They did have a bitch with them.... I will be seeing her tomorrow, I may ask if she's in season. I think she has been "done" though. she's an older cross breed. Just unbelievably lucky someone who knew him found him so he was returned so fast. Would have taken me a while to consider going over there to look as I would never have imagined him going that far!

I'm totally decided, just worried about the op!

CAYLA

Visit site
Well all I can say is we have neutered hundreds and then some of dogs and never lost one or had any complications via doing so, Im sure he will be fine, he wont be under long, and the recovery is swift for castration, your vet seems very accomodating:)

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I think most people have had that panicky feeling and is the longest ever time until you got them back.

I too was awfully nervous having Diesel neutered having lost my beloved Fred a few months prior(not to neutering) and there was the added stress of him might having VWD which my vet had insisted he took the elissa blood test. Everyone I spoke to including Dobermann Welfare had said they had neutered hundreds of Dobes without complications. Well he was neutered and came back very sorry for himself and I got up in the night on the hour to check on him. Needless to say he was fine.

Good luck with Harley and dont worry he will be fine.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Don't faint, but mine are both booked in for the same! I have always been dead set against the idea and I'm convinced that the health benefits are better if dogs are left entire BUT Zak is so aggressive with other dogs and Bear wants to hump everything (despite lots of training to get him out of the humping behaviour, he's now annoying big dog and I won't have that :()

Bear is due in on Tuesday, Zak has to wait til his cartrophen injections are finished in 3 weeks. I think for their peace of mind and welfare, it is the best thing to do. I have undergone a sea change with my thinking. I kept imagining that they were like Brig and Jake and they're very different dogs.

WeedySeaDragon

Visit site
It must be the season for it, our whippet is going to be done soon too.

We always intended to neuter him at some point and were sort of aiming for 18 months to 2 years old unless we had an issue with him beforehand. He's a year old in a week or so and he's starting to show a bit more interest in the ladies than we're comfortable with so off they'll be coming.

To be honest I'm more worried about nutty whippet with a lampshade on than the op itself ;)