Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Under £1000

Votes: 61 73.5%
  • Over £5000

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

Trouper

Visit site
I'm sorry if we're not generally addressing the point of your original thread - we all get a bit focused on welfare on here!! You sound as if you are doing a good job in helping him into a better life.

I think you might come unstuck entering into a debate with the sales livery on what the horse was actually worth - it is a funny old market just now on that score. However, I might persist with the issues where he was misrepresented ie eye infection etc and push for those costs to be refunded. A statement from your vet on what needed doing and records from your negotiations with the livery would help to make your case. However, if they persist in not answering your calls you may be unsuccessful.

The only other alternative is to leave public "unsatisfactory" reviews on the livery wherever you can - suggesting that you intend to do so might just concentrate their minds??

Goldenstar

Visit site
This horse needs a good vet to take a look and decide what the biggest issue is .
That is not likely to be a cosmetic scar .
Much can be done to mobilise stuck scars but it needs a good physio interested in that type of work and his case a lot of sedation .
That had the scar we you chose him out of the field there are plenty of red flags but you chose him .
You ought to have got a vet before you bought him .
I would not pay for a horse like that because I know 5k is about to get spent trying to get him back to health .
If he tugged my heartstrings and I decided to be his white knight then I would pay them a tenner to take on their issue .

Lottie555

Visit site
Kicking is not a declarable vice and snatching/waving a leg when the farrier handles a bad scar is not a vice.
Yes kicking is a vice, he tried to kick me in the stable. That is something you should declare and if you don’t you’re an A hole.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes kicking is a vice, he tried to kick me in the stable. That is something you should declare and if you don’t you’re an A hole.

Kicking is not a declarable vice. If they never tried to ride him then he probably never kicked them.

Many horses kick, but they can only kick you if you are behind them, and that's a choice you make and can avoid. I think you need to stop focusing on whether you were told he kicks and work out when and why he is trying to kick you. He sounds like a very unhappy boy.

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Everything? that he was healthy which he’s not, that he was in good condition which he wasn’t, no vices which he does, his leg doesn’t both him, which it does, that he’s not spooky which he is

Kicking is not a vice. Scars can be sensitive. I’m not sure how he’s ’unhealthy’. Being ‘hot’ is not the same as being spooky.

As a clearly novice and inexperienced horsewoman you paid your money and took your chances on an unvetted field ornament.

Lottie555

Visit site
Kicking is not a declarable vice. If they never tried to ride him then he probably never kicked them.

Many horses kick, but they can only kick you if you are behind them, and that's a choice you make and can avoid. I think you need to stop focusing on whether you were told he kicks and work out when and why he is trying to kick you. He sounds like a very unhappy boy.
Each to their own, if I had a horse that kicked I would declare it in the sale bc I’m not a horrible person and wouldn’t want someone injured when they go to brush their tail. Yes he was unhappy when he came to me. But he’s got a great home now and will get the treatment ect he needs.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Each to their own, if I had a horse that kicked I would declare it in the sale bc I’m not a horrible person and wouldn’t want someone injured when they go to brush their tail. Yes he was unhappy when he came to me. But he’s got a great home now and will get the treatment ect he needs.

It’s not each to their own. Kicking as you describe it is not a declarable vice.

Lottie555

Visit site
Kicking is not a vice. Scars can be sensitive. I’m not sure how he’s ’unhealthy’. Being ‘hot’ is not the same as being spooky.

As a clearly novice and inexperienced horsewoman you paid your money and took your chances on an unvetted field ornament.
Not inexperienced at all, had horses all my life. The fact he has a positive guttural pouch test (not strangles) and came with conjunctivitis in both eyes and underweight I would say that’s unhealthy and he’s hot and spooky didn’t say they were the same. Kicking is a vice look it up. I’m not asking for anyones opinion on me. He’s got a great home now where he’s being treated and cared for. All I wanted from the old owners was honesty as I bought from a sales livery. I love him already with all his quirks only wanted opinions is all.

Lottie555

Visit site
This horse needs a good vet to take a look and decide what the biggest issue is .
That is not likely to be a cosmetic scar .
Much can be done to mobilise stuck scars but it needs a good physio interested in that type of work and his case a lot of sedation .
That had the scar we you chose him out of the field there are plenty of red flags but you chose him .
You ought to have got a vet before you bought him .
I would not pay for a horse like that because I know 5k is about to get spent trying to get him back to health .
If he tugged my heartstrings and I decided to be his white knight then I would pay them a tenner to take on their issue .
I couldn’t leave him there. He was neglected and mistreated. I’m happy putting in the time and money just wanted to know peoples opinions

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I'd say, given how you say he was described to you at the outset, I'd maybe have spent a couple of hundred on him as a pity buy if I had lots of time on my hands, but I'd also have been prepared to accept that he might never come right. Buying unseen is a minefield and it's generally best to not spend anything it would hurt to lose.
There's an art to reading horse adverts and one (generally) has to assume that the worst interpretation is the accurate one and that no seller is entirely truthful. That isn't always malicious btw, people just don't see all their horse's faults, they're too used to dealing with them or too fond of the horse to have an objective view.

Lottie555

Visit site
I'd say, given how you say he was described to you at the outset, I'd maybe have spent a couple of hundred on him as a pity buy if I had lots of time on my hands, but I'd also have been prepared to accept that he might never come right. Buying unseen is a minefield and it's generally best to not spend anything it would hurt to lose.
There's an art to reading horse adverts and one (generally) has to assume that the worst interpretation is the accurate one and that no seller is entirely truthful. That isn't always malicious btw, people just don't see all their horse's faults, they're too used to dealing with them or too fond of the horse to have an objective view.
Thank you. Yes i understand that, unfortunately i trust people too easily which is my own fault. I love him already and glad I got him out of his situation. He needs a lot of TLC and treatment which he’s getting x

WaterySun852

Visit site
I think what YCBM is getting at is the sales livery never put the horse or themselves in a position to be kicked. He was sold "from the field" the sales livery probably never attempted to brush his tail or tack him up, so as far as the sales livery is concerned he doesn't kick.

Out of curiosity though, why would an owner send a horse to sales livery for it to be sold from the field?

Ellietotz

Visit site
UPDATE-
I have Treated the conjunctivitis and I’ve had him 1 month, I did not jump straight on, I was long reining him before (I got his eyes treated before I did anything) and then sat on him and have only walked him and been sat on him for less than 15 mins. This post was because I wanted to know if I’d gotten completely ripped off because the sales livery lied about so much, I paid over £4K as they blew smoke into my eyes and send old videos. I would never give him back to the old owners as he was neglected and I think abused as he is terrified of everything. I’m more than happy with the work I’ve got to put into him. All I wanted was for the old owners to cover the vet bill as it was £485 then another £250 and all I asked was the £250 from them. He’s in much better condition now. The poll was simply to gauge what others would’ve paid given the small information I was told - the sales livery had great reviews and therefore I didn’t mind buying unseen with a signed contract in place but the owners are ignoring me regarding all the lies I was told. I was told he was just slightly unfit and that was his only issue. The mud was not irrelevant as it was literally cemented into his fur, main and tail, his main and tail we matted completely and he had mud fever too. The poor thing hadn’t seen a brush in months I don’t think personally that’s why I mentions it as it wasn’t like a weeks worth of mud, it was 6cm thick mud. I have no intention of giving him back ect. This was simply to ask what others would’ve paid before knowing all the baggage that came along with him.

£4k!!! :oops:

I would not have paid more than £1500 absolute max for a horse sold from the field as a project, irrespective of mud. How old is he?

I'd want him getting physio/osteo, vet checked etc and in hand work for now. I hope for your sake with that money that he ends up forming into something amazing. He looks lovely either way.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I couldn’t leave him there. He was neglected and mistreated. I’m happy putting in the time and money just wanted to know peoples opinions

I thought you bought him unseen?

I hope you get the poor boy right, it's good that he ended up with someone who isn't just going to sell him on.

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
He has one of those sweet faces. He looks like a needs a lot of love, but if his injury holds up he should be okay. I’d go easy on the poor fellow, and maybe not riding him for a few weeks will help him to trust you as his rider (that’s what I did!)
I wouldn’t have paid more than £1000 for him, simply because of his illnesses/ injuries (my friend paid £1800 for a young WB who had bloodlines, papers, and a good history, but had been out of work due to a lack of a rider). That being said, I paid £2500 for young, ex hunter cob who had literally just been roughly started, ruined, thrown out hunting, and then failed miserably at it. I will missold and didn’t know my rights so I didn’t fight it. However, I wouldn’t give him up for the world now. Someone told me recently that when she first met him (when I first brought him home) he was defensive and expected nothing but badness from people, but the dedication I showed through the 6 months he wasn’t ridden made him the sweetest chap!
Please, keep the poor soul until he comes right. He’ll repay you tenfold. Mine now rides best for me (a wobbly mess of a rider) than those far more skilled because I’ve never let him down. I was the first person to actually love him, and he knows it!

Lottie555

Visit site
I think what YCBM is getting at is the sales livery never put the horse or themselves in a position to be kicked. He was sold "from the field" the sales livery probably never attempted to brush his tail or tack him up, so as far as the sales livery is concerned he doesn't kick.

Out of curiosity though, why would an owner send a horse to sales livery for it to be sold from the field?
I literally do not care about the kicking but you know if you’re horse kicks or not to declare it. As he tried kicking my farrier 3 times
I thought you bought him unseen?

I hope you get the poor boy right, it's good that he ended up with someone who isn't just going to sell him on.
I bought unseen but could tell he clearly wasn’t being best cared for to ship him off to a sales livery and left in a field. I won’t be selling him on at all. He’s my boy now and am more than happy to put all my time and energy into him and all the treatment he needs.

Lottie555

Visit site
He has one of those sweet faces. He looks like a needs a lot of love, but if his injury holds up he should be okay. I’d go easy on the poor fellow, and maybe not riding him for a few weeks will help him to trust you as his rider (that’s what I did!)
I wouldn’t have paid more than £1000 for him, simply because of his illnesses/ injuries (my friend paid £1800 for a young WB who had bloodlines, papers, and a good history, but had been out of work due to a lack of a rider). That being said, I paid £2500 for young, ex hunter cob who had literally just been roughly started, ruined, thrown out hunting, and then failed miserably at it. I will missold and didn’t know my rights so I didn’t fight it. However, I wouldn’t give him up for the world now. Someone told me recently that when she first met him (when I first brought him home) he was defensive and expected nothing but badness from people, but the dedication I showed through the 6 months he wasn’t ridden made him the sweetest chap!
Please, keep the poor soul until he comes right. He’ll repay you tenfold. Mine now rides best for me (a wobbly mess of a rider) than those far more skilled because I’ve never let him down. I was the first person to actually love him, and he knows it!
Thank you so much. I’m going to give him loads of TLC and treatment. He’s clearly been mistreated and I don’t care what it takes to get him right. People have been horrible when I was just curious about what people would’ve paid

Goldenstar

Visit site
Whatever you paid it was too much .
He’s not worth any money .

So you what to do right by him them get in a good vet and get the bank account ready .
I guess he will need scar mobilisation poor chap .
He’s probably got ulcers pain gives horses ulcers that will need dealing but you to find out where he’s got pain .
Good luck .