Just checking - shoes and 5* vetting

flyingfeet

Visit site
The vets have said they need the horse to be shod to perform a 5* vetting

I haven't got a problem with this, but what happens if you didn't want it shod?

Is this normal?

dafthoss

Visit site
Mine passed a 5* vetting with out any shoes on. Seems a strange request from a vet, did they give a reason?

flyingfeet

Visit site
Nope no reason and not my vet, someone getting one of mine vetted.

The vet actually said this, I thought it was a bit bizarre too, but if they want shod feet I will get it done

flyingfeet

Visit site
Not foot sore and has cracking little feet, currently unshod as I wasn't wearing the nail heads down and my farrier talked himself out of a job!

Its not a problem, but I'm just a little surprised

Diddleydoo

Visit site
Totally agree with TwoStroke.

Is it 2 or 4 shoes they want?

Mine only had fronts when she passed her vetting. They came off 3 weeks after I got her.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Can you talk to the potential buyer about what their shoeing plans are - if she likes him barefoot she might not be too happy about the vets request,
he could be more uncomfy on his feet if he's not used to shoes
what happens if you get the farrier then she changes her mind and doesn't go through with the vetting?
I'd gently suggests to her she checks with the vet that it's absolutely essential and finds out why?

Gamebird

Visit site
The horse should be examined under normal conditions so if it's normally barefoot then barefoot, and if it's normally shod then shod. If it normally works shod but is currently unshod then it should be shod for the vetting. Shoes should normally have been done no more than 4 weeks ago, but there can be flexibility over that.

star

Visit site
my youngest one only had fronts on when he was 5 stage vetted and I took them off about a week later! He's been barefoot ever since.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Thats weird. I think thats wrong. Surely it should be vetted in whatever state it is usually kept (ie. shod or unshod). I've had horses 5 stage vetted unshod before...

Personally if I had a horse barefoot and someone asked me to shoe it for a vetting, I'd say no! If the horse isn't used to it then thats crazy!