just come home from Tweseldown...

molly7886

Visit site
just as we went over to the warm up we saw a horse prone just after fence 3. I didn't see it move at all so when I saw the tack being taken off I feared the worse. At that point I turned into a gibbering wreck & promptly withdrew my boy (which he was very cross about as he was enjoying prancing around the warm up!) & took him home for lots of cuddles. My thoughts are with the rider

molly7886

Visit site
It was a pony club hunter trial. 'Incident' happened in the 2'6 - 2'9 novice. I didn't see what actually happened so couldn't say if it was some sort of fall or collapse. The course was tiny (although as it used all the old schooling fences the ground on the approaches/landings was pretty awful) Rider was on her feet & didn't appear harmed physically- just broke my heart to see her stroking her horses neck as he lay there

TGM

Visit site
Fingers crossed it was just winded - they often take the saddle off as it helps the horse to recover better. I've seen horses down for a long time at point-to-points and really thought they have been seriously injured, but then eventually they scramble up and walk off unharmed. Hope it is the same for the horse you saw today.

kerilli

Visit site
if it happened as early as fence 3, and was as bad as you say, i'd suspect a heart problem tbh. poor horse.
since i've known 2 people who had horses drop under them at walk while hacking, it really can happen at any time. :( :( :(
very very glad to hear the rider is fine.

molly7886

Visit site
Kerilli, I think you're probably right. The rider didn't look dirty as if she'd been thrown & it was facing back towards the jump. My logical brain said that the chances of anything happening to my boy were similar to my chances of winning the lottery, but the non logical part of me (which seems to be taking over as I get older!) told me I didn't want run him with negative thoughts in my heart- there's always another day for us

kerilli

Visit site
yes, absolutely.
i've needed friends to give me a very very hard and determined kick in the butt to get me to run after something similar has happened, because it just knocks the heart out of you for the whole game for a while, i think. :( :( :(

worMy

www.katherinebegley.com
how terrible.. :(
It reminds me of when I was at a PC ODE years ago and a horse fell and broke it's neck at a fence early on (where you could see from warm up) and later I heard someone saying how the poor girl was distraught and ran away in fear when she saw her horse down and how the ambulance people were trying to check her out and all see wanted to do was go back to her horse :( :(

So sad.

alwaysbroke

Visit site
What a horrible experience for you, if your heart wasnt in running you did the right thing. Poor horse and rider thoughts are with them.

Vickijay

Visit site
My friend was fence judging that actual fence today and sadly the horse did die. The vet there thinks that it was a heart problem. Aparently it did somersault to the floor so I think it was really very traumatic for all concerned.

What a terrible thing to happen, my thoughts really go out to all that knew the horse x

brushingboots

Visit site
My friend was fence judging that actual fence today and sadly the horse did die. The vet there thinks that it was a heart problem. Aparently it did somersault to the floor so I think it was really very traumatic for all concerned.

What a terrible thing to happen, my thoughts really go out to all that knew the horse x

god how terrible..thought go out to all connections, family and rider in particular how terrible...

diggerbez

Visit site
oh that is so sad :( happened to a friend of mine a few years back...horse jumped a HT clear, won the class and then had a heart attack...absolutely heartbreaking :(

Wiz

Visit site
Thoughts go out to the girl and her family for their horrid day. I was also at the start when it happened and had to go back to the lorry and give myself a talking to as to going 100% committed or not going. Glad I did ride as we had a good round but it does make you think twice and give your horse that extra hug. At the time I thought it was likely there was a heart type problem as things happened pretty quickly to sort it and continue. Full marks also to organisers to get things sorted with what turned out to be not that long a delay