Just dropped off my horse on trial loan- feeling sad

JulesRules

Visit site
Had a long rough day today. Dropped off my mare at Morton Morrell where she is having a months trial to be a loan horse.

I've been dreading today since I made the decision and I've been in denial for weeks, but today was the day so I just had to get on with it.

Driving home with an empty lorry was horrible.

I love my mare and have had her for 7 years but I mostly don't enjoy riding her and had lost my mojo. I won't sell her on as she's not the easiest and she would just get passed on. Having a second horse is a financial stretch so fter a lot of soul searching I made the difficult decision to put her on loan and buy one I do enjoy riding. I bought my Highland a few months ago and have got used to having 2 now, so only having one again will be a shock.

Hopefully I will go and see her in a few days and they will let me know how she is getting on in the meantime.

Just feeling a bit low tonight.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
It must have been a tough drive back but she will be comfortable and content. She'll be well looked after and find a home where she can bring joy to a new family. You're doing this for her benefit as much as yours.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Um, I know you're trying to do the best for her but I'm not too sure that loaning to an equestrian college is a great idea welfare wise. My mare (before I bought her) went through Moreton Mortell and then another big name college as a working livery. She was in quite a state when I got her, with shockingly bad dentistry and epically wonky musculature. The basic care was lacking, though whether through lack of knowledge or because they couldn't be bothered, I don't know.

Keep very close tabs on her, and take anything you're told by the college with a large pinch of salt.

ETA Is your mare being trialled for a working livery arrangement, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Last edited:

JulesRules

Visit site
Yes, a loan for use at the college by the students.

I will be keeping a close eye and if she isn't happy and well she will be coming straight home. I do know one of the instructors at MM who has helped me with her in the past so she will keep me up to date.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I can appreciate the feeling of driving home without them. I delivered my son's old pony to her new home yesterday.

I thought MM had a good reputation? I hope it works out for the pair of you.

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
A friend of mine has loaned to Myerscough and was very happy, hopefully your mare will fit in and be well looked after at MM.

Hope you're ok xx

Seville

Visit site
She's not the easiest, and would get passed on if sold, you said. So she has gone off to be ridden by x yz number of students of varying ability, for longer hours than she's used to. What's the difference?? If you sold her she would have half a chance of having a normal home, and possibly permanent. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear, is it?

Antw23uk

Visit site
She's not the easiest, and would get passed on if sold, you said. So she has gone off to be ridden by x yz number of students of varying ability, for longer hours than she's used to. What's the difference?? If you sold her she would have half a chance of having a normal home, and possibly permanent. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear, is it?

Amen to that.

TreeDog

Visit site
I don't know the place you mention, but sometimes these environments can help difficult horses. A riding school I used to go to used to get in cheap difficult horses, and through regular riding and a variety of riders they would often become much better. It also depends why she's not the easiest, she might be too much for you but some more quirky horses can be yard favourites for confident riders.

Hope it works out. Will you be able to visit much?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Yes, a loan for use at the college by the students.

I will be keeping a close eye and if she isn't happy and well she will be coming straight home. I do know one of the instructors at MM who has helped me with her in the past so she will keep me up to date.

Mine was at equestrian college for two years; and loved it! The busyness and bustling routine suited him well and he enjoyed being the centre of attention. He came back to me after the two years, a well-schooled and responsive ride!

Two years was enough for him tho'; I wouldn't have wanted him to do a third year as he'd begun to get just that little bit "stale", and IMO another year would have soured him completely.

I don't know what your long-term plans are for your mare OP, but I'd keep a watching brief and see how things go, and if you do feel that (a) the routine is too frenetic for her and/or (b) that she's beginning to stale, then have other arrangements in hand.

It does help to have an instructor at college that you know and trust to keep an eye on the horse; this happened with mine and it does give you some reassureance.

Hope all goes well!

SpringArising

Visit site
Why are people being so nasty to the OP? She's just had a really ****** day and needs support not horrid comments.

Lots of difficult horses suit a busy environment, mine included. He was miserable on a private yard and became SO much more relaxed once I moved him to a huge livery yard. And the horse is on loan, so can come back at any time if not happy.

Clodagh

Visit site
Why are people being so nasty to the OP? She's just had a really ****** day and needs support not horrid comments.

Lots of difficult horses suit a busy environment, mine included. He was miserable on a private yard and became SO much more relaxed once I moved him to a huge livery yard. And the horse is on loan, so can come back at any time if not happy.

I totally agree with this. I doubt OP did it with no thought, give her a chance. The mare might do really well with regular work, and one persons difficult is another persons pleasure. Go for a nice hack on your highland, OP, and enjoy.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I do not really see anything nasty are people supposed to pretend that they think every idea is a good one now so they appear ‘nice ‘ .Whats the point of that ?

Clodagh

Visit site
I do not really see anything nasty are people supposed to pretend that they think every idea is a good one now so they appear ‘nice ‘ .Whats the point of that ?

Well I assume the OP thought this through and was upset, so everyone saying 'that won't work' and 'you are wrong' is just being unecessarily negative, IMO. She already has her new horse so suggesting that she shouldn't really do that either is a bit OTT.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Pointing out that the care the horses receive at some of the big equestrian colleges can be sub standard is not raining on the OP's parade, it is best that she knows that in advance. However, having a contact at MM who presumably thinks that the horse would cope with the environment is a plus.

Having your own horse at livery at a busy yard is a world away from having them ridden and handled by a hotch potch of students of varying ability and with questionable supervision.

My own mare is a saint, but she had had enough of working livery, not surprising considering the state she was in.

OP, I wish you and the horse well.

JulesRules

Visit site

Quite frankly I don't give two hoots what you think. I know I'm trying to do the right thing for my horse.

I bought her age 7 and having found out more about her past I over the time I have owned her I know she had at least 5 homes before me so she has a proven history of being moved on. Her second owner thought she had sold her to a forever home and the odds are against any home I sold her too being her forever home. For this reason I would PTS before I sold her.

I would just turn her away but she is high risk of laminitis and has to be worked to keep her weight down. I've tried sharers but suitable and reliable people who can make a financial contribution are like hen's teeth. I've heard horror stories of private loans so we are giving this a go.
As I've already said if I'm worried about her welfare or happiness she will be straight home and I'll think again.

Thank you to all of the people who have given kind replies. I phoned the college this morning and she is fine. They are going to give her a lunge this afternoon as part of a lunging demonstration and to start sussing her out. The instructor I know doesn't work Mondays but has promised to check on her for me tomorrow and let me know how she is and I plan to go and see her on Friday afternoon.

Shavings

Visit site
I can see there is a spilt of views on this thread

but can i just say well done OP-er its not easy admitting that things are not going well, and you clearly love you mare and want the best for her.

i myself went to equine college (in England) 8 years ago and we often had horses come who where from all walks of life, some suited it and some don't, its not all ridden the colleges are often grateful of a horse that will stand and let 20 students bandages and un-bandages legs for hours! so even if her riding is not her many thing she may well have another use for the college

and those who have commented they are worked for hours with XYZ on them let me just say when i was there horses where limited to 3 hours work a day with hours gap in between at least! and riders where chosen for the horses based on there confidence and ability i didn't ride every horse at the college and either would i have wanted to ! so have some faith in the teaching staff!

JulesRules

Visit site
I just wanted to say thanks to SpringArising, Clodagh and Shavings especially for being so kind at what is a really hard time for me.

She is fabulous on the ground - she will stand all day to be groomed. bandaged, feet picked up etc. She is good as gold for farrier, clipping etc so hopefully will be useful to the college in that sense.

During her trial month the instructors will ride her to start with, putting a few experienced riders on her in a couple of weeks when they have sussed her out.

...and yes I have had lengthy conversations with the college about her ability, fitness etc

Last edited:

Seville

Visit site
Quite frankly I don't give two hoots what you think. I know I'm trying to do the right thing for my horse.

I bought her age 7 and having found out more about her past I over the time I have owned her I know she had at least 5 homes before me so she has a proven history of being moved on. Her second owner thought she had sold her to a forever home and the odds are against any home I sold her too being her forever home. For this reason I would PTS before I sold her.

I would just turn her away but she is high risk of laminitis and has to be worked to keep her weight down. I've tried sharers but suitable and reliable people who can make a financial contribution are like hen's teeth. I've heard horror stories of private loans so we are giving this a go.
As I've already said if I'm worried about her welfare or happiness she will be straight home and I'll think again.

Thank you to all of the people who have given kind replies. I phoned the college this morning and she is fine. They are going to give her a lunge this afternoon as part of a lunging demonstration and to start sussing her out. The instructor I know doesn't work Mondays but has promised to check on her for me tomorrow and let me know how she is and I plan to go and see her on Friday afternoon.

Absolutely you don't have to care what I think. You posted for opinions. I was posting honestly with what I thought. If you choose to only agree with posts who agree with you, fine. Please bear in mind just because someone doesn't agree with you, it's not nasty, it's called an opinion for a reason! And I wasn't alone.
I would have resolved your issue differently, but that doesn't make me either right o r wrong, or vice versa with your resolution. There are some incredibly sensible, experienced caring posters on H&H, and others who think only their opinions are right and woe betide anyone who disagrees!!

JulesRules

Visit site
Absolutely you don't have to care what I think. You posted for opinions. I was posting honestly with what I thought. If you choose to only agree with posts who agree with you, fine. Please bear in mind just because someone doesn't agree with you, it's not nasty, it's called an opinion for a reason! And I wasn't alone.
I would have resolved your issue differently, but that doesn't make me either right o r wrong, or vice versa with your resolution. There are some incredibly sensible, experienced caring posters on H&H, and others who think only their opinions are right and woe betide anyone who disagrees!!

Errr....where did I ask for opinions? I was feeling really upset and was hoping for some sympathy from people that might understand what I was going through.

That's what I got from most people, even those who advised me to be cautious about sending her to an equine college which is constructive and helpful advise.

From you I only got judgement.

Perhaps you should consider your posts more carefully next time?

JFTDWS

Visit site
It's not what I would choose to do, but I do know of some horses who have done well at equine colleges and come home better than they left. Of course there are some who are poorly treated, can't cope with the environment or whatever and come home worse - but that's true of private loan homes too. If the OP is keeping a close eye, hopefully her mare will be one of the former. Unless you keep every horse for yourself, until death, and keep them well (and even then there'll be folk who disagree with how you keep them), there's no guarantees that the horse will be kept well and happy with any route of loaning/selling etc.

Last edited:

hihosilver

Visit site
It sounded good to me when I put my green, nappy gelding into a collage. He would only get ridden by the experienced riders and would come back schooled. Change of career meant I had little time and I could have him back. I went a few times he was being ridden by novices and I rode him on a weekend, he felt dull, not off the leg and just not right. I picked him up in March after 6 months. He had such a sore back I don't know how they rode him. I guess a collage can work but do keep a close eye on the situation, They are worked hard. My horse was an easy ride just a bit backward so therefore he did get used more.

DD

Visit site
I think OP has done exactly the right thing regarding her horse its future and welfare. Far better than selling on or just getting rid. Years ago I had a horse PTS and was very influenced by comments and replies on here over time having read them all I decided it was the best course of action. If I'd had knowledge of the colleges taking them I think I would have tried that as a first option. I still, to this day have doubts that I did the right thing. Well done OP for giving your horse a chance. Is horrible bringing an empty box home, seeing an empty stable and paddock. Sending my best wishes. x

Chuffy99

Visit site
You’re obviously going to keep an eye on her and have an insider also to communicate with, have a firm plan about what’s going to happen if it doesn’t work and then relax and enjoy your highland.