Just going to leave this here...

Pinkvboots

Visit site
She looks like she has been riding for a few weeks that is terrible riding and she should be sent out the ring for whacking him like that, poor horse most horses would have dumped her after a few of those I know both of my horses would have put her on the floor if they were hit like that and quite frankly I wouldn't blame them.

oldie48

Visit site
I saw this on fb and it just made me so sad. He's a saint of a horse that deserves much better, she's riding at a level way above her ability (I wonder if she has actually ever watched a video of her test riding) but it's her trainer that makes me really angry, he/she should never have allowed her to go out and compete at this level. Whoever trains her should sit her down and show her what she looks like riding a test. Unless she is completely stupid and thick skinned, surely she would see how incompetent she is! I am usually disappointed when I see footage of my riding, it usually feels better than it looks but if i looked as bad as this, tbh I'd throw the towel in and take up knitting.

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
The rider's style reminds me of Meryl Streep as Florence Foster Jenkins, - the incompetant opera singer who nevertheless had the wherewithal to hire Carnagie Hall.

I am very pleased to see this thread and read the many posters who have merrily joined in scathing damnation of not only the rider's competence but also her body shape and maybe even the fact that she is filthy rich and catflap while I suspect they aren't. Not a single mention of - it's her horse and she can do what she likes, it's her life/body shape etc., etc.
On top of that, the article in the link is blatantly libelous and is in direct contravention of many HHO rules - which might be the reason the OP has chosen the non-commital title? Just thought I'd point that out.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
which rules? afaik linking an article is not against any hho rules regardless of what the article says (and it is well known that that particular blog owner has a very definite agenda and will twist anything to meet it). It just happens to be the place where the cut videos are available rather than people having to find the right horse on the thursday stream and afaik the only place where the friday video is available after it was pulled.

The whole point is that even if it is your horse (or any other animal) you don't get to abuse it however you like?

There are however many things wrong here beyond the rider, it highlights issues in the american system by not requiring qualifying scores at a lower level (as required over here) before you can ride at the higher levels, what judges and stewards should or can be doing about clear breaches of the rules mid test, should they only eliminate after the test is finished? I think that is a discussion which needs to be had. It also sits in the wider current picture where the FEI and others making much of 'abuse of the horse' at the moment, while not really following through with any action to back that up in dressage, other than stopping people photographing and filming warm up areas.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The rider's style reminds me of Meryl Streep as Florence Foster Jenkins, - the incompetant opera singer who nevertheless had the wherewithal to hire Carnagie Hall.

I am very pleased to see this thread and read the many posters who have merrily joined in scathing damnation of not only the rider's competence but also her body shape and maybe even the fact that she is filthy rich and catflap while I suspect they aren't. Not a single mention of - it's her horse and she can do what she likes, it's her life/body shape etc., etc.
On top of that, the article in the link is blatantly libelous and is in direct contravention of many HHO rules - which might be the reason the OP has chosen the non-commital title? Just thought I'd point that out.

There isn't a single comment on the thread about her body shape. People of all shapes and sizes are described as riding like a sack of spuds, which is the nearest I can find to what you are saying has been said, and she does.

It does not matter if it's her horse, she cannot abuse it in a public forum and not expect comment.

By definition, she or someone close to her is filthy rich as she has been riding a string of exceptionally expensive horses, ruining their competition record, selling and replacing them. You think people who think she rides badly are jealous? No, of course you don't, you just want to raise the blood pressure of a few members, Daily Mail style :D

I'm beginning to think you are a plant paid by the post by HHO to see if you can increase the viewing/click through count .......

Last edited:

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
I'm more convinced you are a troll every day.

Would that make the message any different?

There isn't a single comment on the thread about her body shape.

Read the link - I take it everyone has - they definately should do if they want to join in.

People of all shapes and sizes are described as riding like a sack of spuds,

My old yard christened one rider "56lbs of King Edwards" well, out of her earshot you understand. The linked article does mention the rider's thigh shape quite prominently and scathingly.

It does not matter if it's her horse, she cannot abuse it in a public forum and not expect comment.

Quite so - and that's my point on other subjects too - where is that dreaded line where it's o.k. interject eh?

jumbyjack

Visit site
Oh dear, it was seriously awful to watch, I think that young lady needs to go back to basics, she was clearly way out of her depth. The commentator did an awesome job with his careful but pointed criticism of the rider and praise of that wonderful horse. Can a rider be stopped mid test for seriously appalling riding?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Not a single mention of - it's her horse and she can do what she likes, it's her life/body shape etc., etc.

It is her horse, and yes she can do what she likes. Do it in a public arena though and be prepared for comment - positive or negative.

She is very wealthy; evidenced by her ability to purchase this wonderful horse from his previous overseas owners.

Only one person has made any mention of body shape - you.

There is nothing libellous about any comments on this thread.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Would that make the message any different?

Read the link - I take it everyone has - they definately should do if they want to join in.

My old yard christened one rider "56lbs of King Edwards" well, out of her earshot you understand. The linked article does mention the rider's thigh shape quite prominently and scathingly.

Quite so - and that's my point on other subjects too - where is that dreaded line where it's o.k. interject eh?

so you seem to be quoting the article not what people have actually said about the situation on this thread?? Nobody on here has mentioned her thighs at all.
And yes I did read the article, yesterday, and roll my eyes all the way through it. As stated previously this is about an event, not an article written about the event. The article just happens to be the only place that the worse video is available.

I don't find the line where it is ok to interject too hard to find when a horse is being abused.

Last edited:

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site

Saying that the rider bounces around in the saddle like a sack of potatoes is definitely not commenting on the rider's body shape or size.

At a seated trot, I often bounce around like a sack of potatoes, but I know that it's because I've not got anywhere near to mastering the seated trot. Competing at that level should require mastery of that; she doesn't have it.

As to the logic of "if she can afford it, she can do whatever she likes with it", I might agree for inanimate objects, but I draw the line at animals and people.

Goldenstar

Visit site

I have just read that articles again now I am no expert on The laws governing libel in the US perhaps you are but there only two statements that could perhaps be inferred to deframmatory and mildly libelous niether of them refers to the rider .
I do wonder what HHO rules you think have been broken .
You are of course right it is her horse she can do she likes with it within the bounds of the law and it would of course be as awful if the rider worked for mimiumn wage and was doing the same to a broken down race horse that does make the riding in that test ethical .
And we do have the right to discuss it .
It’s the lack of self awareness that I find most perplexing .

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
I have just read that articles again now I am no expert on The laws governing libel in the US ...

Expert? No but from experience you can get a writ from asking someone the time!

If you page through all the stuff included - all the backstory of each judge is detailed and their competence questioned too - even with "fair comment" being granted one is likely to find it being tested in court.

I do wonder what HHO rules you think have been broken.

I was of the opinion that one must not make defamatory comments or link to places where they are - may be I'm wrong and we can slander whomsoever we like?

And we do have the right to discuss it .

I'm with you there.

Auslander

Visit site
it's her horse and she can do what she likes, .

Yes, she can. But, it isn't right. Do you honestly think that it's ok to abuse an animal, just because you happen to own it?

I am deeply uncomfortable about the slating this rider has received on social media, but I am also deeply uncomfortable about seeing a lovely honest horse being ridden so badly.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I was of the opinion that one must not make defamatory comments or link to places where they are - may be I'm wrong and we can slander whomsoever we like?

What, like you accusing me of beating horses senseless on a thread discussing training recently? You've had a very sudden change of heart :D

Goldenstar

Visit site
Expert? No but from experience you can get a writ from asking someone the time!

If you page through all the stuff included - all the backstory of each judge is detailed and their competence questioned too - even with "fair comment" being granted one is likely to find it being tested in court.

I'm with you there.

We will struggle to slander anyone on here as slander is always spoken .

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
My understanding of defamation (of any kind) is that it has to be shown that comments/actions have changed people's perceptions of someone, who previously had a 'good' reputation, to the point that it has a significant impact on their livelihood (or other aspect of their life).

In the case of the rider I would be very surprised if she has a previous 'good reputation' that has been damaged by these comments. For the judges, things may be different as I'm sure a good reputation is important to them. But don't they have some responsibility to point out riding that is synonymous with abuse?
I was absolutely staggered by the video. I'm a happy hacker who has enjoyed a spot of hunting now and again (hopeless at dressage) - but if I rode like that in a lesson my instructor would stop me immediately and tell me to get off. Those flailing arms, those pony club kicks, the use of the whip...
Thing is, if you enter a competition, particularly dressage, you are actually inviting spectators to make judgements - and this won't just be restricted to the 'official' judges but also anyone who sees it. My own view about the judges here is that, by not actively stopping this dreadful display, they damaged their reputation without any third party needing to make a single comment.

tristar

Visit site
under animal welfare acts, ie the provision of all things necessary for a decent life, i think we are entitled to point out that the rider is in this case not meeting any normal criterea of animal welfare.

fei states that the ideally the horse should appear to perform the dressage as if by invisible aids, as if by its own choice, and indeed in this instance it appears that the horse is doing it on its own,in fact it must be, it seems to be performing inspite of its rider.

just goes to show how impotent the fei is......... or turning a blind eye.......or just blind.

as for slander i think a lot of those laws have changed and a lot of the time its lumped with libel, which would be available in the public domain if anyone cared to look it up.

anyway i would assume that libel would need to be a false claim of something defamatory and not a a genuine expression of distress at a behavior which would leave most normal people feeling very uncomfortable, at the very least.

Annagain

Visit site
Has this woman never seen a video of her riding? She's either never seen herself or has no self-awareness. It's like those people at X-Factor auditions who think they're the next Whitney Houston and can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Regardless of the abuse of the poor horse, it can't possible feel pleasant to be bouncing around up there. She can't possibly be enjoying it, surely?

Four Seasons

Visit site
I'm gobsmacked that riders are even allowed whips at that level! The amount of times she whips that poor horse... I wonder what she rides like at home.. Usually what we see in the arena is the "finished product", but this is just amazing... This woman needs some lunge lessons on how to develop her seat. And maybe a whack with a book.

Luci07

Visit site
This has been plastered all over Facebook. The comments are quite vitriolic and some seem very self righteous. Some also seem to be very jealous of the money this woman clearly has.

It's not pleasant to watch. However, for me, this has now moved into bullying on a very large scale and the line should be drawn. Someone to draw her attention - yes. Having to deal with this large scale hatred and vitriol? No.