just got bitten through my lip by my dog....

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
dam dog bit me when i was cuddling her as i was saying buy to go out, she has always tried to be above me in the pack and she just bit me, no reason at all, we have lovely cuddles usually. she is really old, otherwise i think she would be for the injection. i for one will not be interested in her any more.

SVMel

Visit site
Oh dear, poor you.

Hoping she really didn't mean it and she just misunderstood the situation. My old girl did a couple of out of character things when she was really old, didn't bite, but once or twice I accidently surprised her and she whipped round as if to warn me off.

Hows the stitches?? xxxx

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
just about to leave dad wnted to ring ahead and put steri strips on an is just ramming some food down his face before take me. will keep youupdated.

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
shes back and were off. i am trying ti get slinks on board with texts to keep u updated. see u all in the morrow. hopr i dont have a completely mashd up face, i actually dont want scars on mt face i am not pretty but i rekon men dont like scarred faces.:( effing stupid dog. i hate it.

Paddydou

Visit site
Sorry to say it but I personally would have grave reservations. Right from word go my dogs learnt never ever to bite. Even when I rough play with the one that enjoys it she has never marked let alone drawn blood. It sounds like she is about to murder me when we play like this but she is very very gentle and takes alot of care. I think you need to seriously assess the situation and think long and hard.

Some people I knew had a dog that would bite we all warned them that it would get worse and she ended up being attacked, she has scars, lots of them.

china

Visit site
from what i can gather from bb's first post the dog is old so may well just be groggy old age.
hope they tidy you up!

Happy Hunter

Visit site
My brother sneaked up on an elderly dog at the age of 4, He didnt do it again! (this is obviously not in direct comparison to OP)

However, he did get bitten through the lip - it was more of a punture than a tear or gash, so no stiches, but now he has no scars.

Hope your ok!

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
I am back, thanks for the support. I didnt sneak up on her I was giving her a cuddle in my arms and talking to mum and she just decided to bite at me and got my face (lip) she must of immedialtey let go as its deep near the nose and shallower near my lip, and didnt go through, she is on BIG trouble and is in her bed shacking at the moment. Yes she is old and yes we both have played rough in the past but she always stopped when I said so, and, yesterday may have been lack of judgement on her part, but she never ever usually naskes at me when I am giving her cuddles. Never mind, lesson learned both ends. The dog is no longer my responsibilty, I am no longer going to feed or care for her, we will just share the same living space.

Any way I am stiched up, had to be admitted last night on and IV drip and antibiotics, cleaned in theatre under local and stiched up, 5 stiches by a very attractive plastic surgeon. No infection. Got more anti biotics to take now, I had roughly 3 hours sleep so am exhausted, missed breaksfast as I actually managed to sleep while they were doling ot out, ate lunch, just, though it took me a while and was dischared about 45 mins ago.

Any tips on how to make sure the dog knows her place greatly recieved.

Tormenta

Visit site
To be perfectly honest, I'm sorry your dog bit you and I hope you recover soon but old dogs often have aches, pains and niggles that can cause them to be narkier, less patient and more irritable in general. She is a dog, she will understand immediate discipline but carrying it on is out of order IMO she will have absolutely no idea why she is in trouble now so why is she in BIG trouble and in her bed shaking now? She won't be able to comprehend that her action from some time ago is causing her to be treated in this manner now. She will simply be confused and scared.

And for you to withold any more care and attention from yourself to her is IMO childish and anthromorphism, however, it is your choice. If you were me, I would be finding out the reason behind her reaction, whether it be pain related or just plain irritable old age and ensuring she is allowed to live her old age, not being punished for hours but comfortably and ensuring that this situation will not happen again.

Bit too late to start teaching her where her place is, sorry if I offend you but you are thinking ONLY from your point of view, not hers too. Again, I hope you heal quickly and are not too shaken up but think of her also please.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
With the greatest respect in the world, and I am sorry you got hurt, I agree with Tormenta - she is an old girl and her senses are probably leaving her, you may have accidentally hurt or confused her, she doesn't need ignoring or 'put in her place', if you're anthropomorphising, imagine a confused old lady in her 90s, can't see or hear too well, maybe a bit of dementia (yes, happens to dogs too) not knowing who her relatives or her nurse is, just someone coming toward her suddenly, or feeling unintentional pain and lashing out, would she be ignored or 'in big trouble'?
She's just a dog, a poor old dog. You'll live.

EAST KENT

Visit site
Totally agree with you two as well.Old dogs should be respected..as for the ignoring stuff..oh do grow up!She is a DOG,and old at that,good God old people can be foul too. You`ll live..she may not have all that long left,treasure her.

reddie

Visit site
Ooh that sounds lke a nasty injury. i'm sure once the shock has gone you may feel abit differently towards your dog. Our 15yr old dog has gone abt senile and is deaf, we have to be careful not to surprise him ot overwhelm him, or he is likely to react nervously like he did when he was younger (he was a rescue dog and seems to have been beaten). We just have to treat him a little bit differently now his senses are going. Hope you're feeling better soon

littlemisslauren

Visit site
OP I hope your lip recovers soon.

I myself have a snappy old grumpy dog, I respect his age and don't pick him up for cuddles because he has aches and pains and his sight is almost gone. OP I think it was more you overstepping the mark than the dog.

Why is the dog shaking in her bed??

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Poor you, sounds horrendous, I hope you are feeling better soon.

However I do feel you are being unfair to the dog, she is old and, as others have said before me, punishing the day after the event borders on cruelty, yes, you are angry and hurt and probably see her biting you as some sort of betrayal, but to withhold care and attention which you have previously given in the past will only confuse the poor old girl more. I feel very sorry for the dog.

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
The dog was in her bed shaking as she is my mum's dog, not mine and my mum decided to tell her off when I got home, not my choice, I didnt do it, I have done nothing to the dog since I got home. In the last 3 weeks we have given Whinnie and pill for her mind, as she was sleeping a lot, and my mum decided to put her on it after consulting with the vet. I dont do much to the dog any way, I feed her in the morning if I am up first, and I cuddle her and brush her a lot, but thats it. I have a lot of respect for my dog, and I wasnt doing anything to ask for the bite, nothing, and I think on her part it might of been a game, which missed her mark, she went too far. Personally, I wouldnt still be punishing her, but she isnt my dog, she is my mums. She always knew her place, until the pills, in the last 3 weeks she has been more growly towards me and I have been cuddling her less and less as a result, but last night she was in a really good mood. I am trying to persuade mum to reduce the pills, I cant remember what they are called.

Personally the reason why I dont want to do anything with her is I dont trust her, if that comes back I will start doing stuff with her, but to be honest she wont miss me in her life, as long as she has mum.

She is happy now buzzing around the kitchen and mooching about the garden. Sorry to friek thinking we are a cruel family, we are not, mum did what she did when I got home because she thought it right, thing is forgotten now, and whinnie is being whinnie again.

Edited to say, no offense or hurt taken by your comments, they are all interesting and I have taken them too heart.... seriously I would not of carried the issue on when I got home, but as I said, winnie is my mum's dog over mine and she over rules over me.

Last edited:

Allover

Visit site
The dog was in her bed shaking as she is my mum's dog, not mine and my mum decided to tell her off when I got home, not my choice, I didnt do it, I have done nothing to the dog since I got home. In the last 3 weeks we have given Whinnie and pill for her mind, as she was sleeping a lot, and my mum decided to put her on it after consulting with the vet. I dont do much to the dog any way, I feed her in the morning if I am up first, and I cuddle her and brush her a lot, but thats it. I have a lot of respect for my dog, and I wasnt doing anything to ask for the bite, nothing, and I think on her part it might of been a game, which missed her mark, she went too far. Personally, I wouldnt still be punishing her, but she isnt my dog, she is my mums. She always knew her place, until the pills, in the last 3 weeks she has been more growly towards me and I have been cuddling her less and less as a result, but last night she was in a really good mood. I am trying to persuade mum to reduce the pills, I cant remember what they are called.

Personally the reason why I dont want to do anything with her is I dont trust her, if that comes back I will start doing stuff with her, but to be honest she wont miss me in her life, as long as she has mum.

She is happy now buzzing around the kitchen and mooching about the garden. Sorry to friek thinking we are a cruel family, we are not, mum did what she did when I got home because she thought it right, thing is forgotten now, and whinnie is being whinnie again.

Ah thats better, from your posts before i was inclined to agree with the other posters regarding Whinnies "unfair" treatment, now you have clarified the situation hopefully people will be a bit more sympathetic to you and aim their disdain at your mum instead :)D) I hope you have no more trouble with her and your face heals up quickly and cleanly:)

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
Yeah perhaps my mum should not of done what she did, but i think we were all really shocked that the loved family pet, who is a terrier and growls and stuff in games, went nasty, and i think my mum is frightened that if she didnt do enough to show whinnine it was wrong, we would have to have her put down. If you get my drift.

also my last post, I was rushed and didnt explain much, I appologise, I was also exhausted, no excuse though.

does anyone have any opinions on the drug, its called, vivitonin.

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Right. You come and hug me quite suddenly. I have a pain in my back. As I am a human being and I can talk, I say 'ouch, please don't touch me in that spot, it really hurts'.

Dogs, because they do not reason or communicate like us, defend themselves from unseen pain in the only way they know how.
She did not 'go nasty'.
Do you really think that a geriatric terrier is trying to get one over on you, rise above you in rank, knows what a 'place' is, hurt you for the sake of it?

You were on AAD a few months ago telling us about your wonderful old friend, a family pet for many years (she is a great age isn't she? 15 or 16?) please don't forget that.

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
CC I didnt just suddenly pick her up and she bit me, I was cuddling her, as I usually do, and she was lying in my arms and then as I say I think went to play and missed.

I have just forgiven her, we had big cuddles and she tucked her head into my chest, I do love my dog, but I am also a bit warry (sp) of her now, yes she is old and yes she is athritichy and etc, but I know this and I also know her sore spots and I don't touch or aggrivate them.