just got my boy home from horspital after his op

star

Visit site
Went to pick up my baby at 3.30pm this afternoon - hardly slept at all last night as could not wait for today to come. He seemed fairly calm compared to when he last had to stay in at a vets and was not climbing the walls and hasn't needed sedating, although has been weaving a lot. He looks rather tucked up, but I guess that is to be expected with the op and the stress.

They changed his bandages this morning and wounds are looking good so far. I have to change his bandages again on Thursday and then they can come off a week Tuesday when I take his stitches out assuming everything's healed ok. So he has 2 massive great bandages on his back legs, but it didn't stop him marching out to the lorry behaving like one of the Welsh Cob stallions I'd seen at the show this morning - he certainly wasn't bothered by them and apparently hasn't needed any bute at all - tough old sod!

He is on 5mins inhand walking twice a day at the moment and I have to build that up to 30mins twice a day by the end of October. (expensive paying YO to do all that, but no way i can do it with work hours). After that i can start ridden walking with him and just build him up slowly and see what happens. Will ring and check when he can go out in his playpen too as hes usually quite settled in a small pen with food to eat and it might keep him saner.

Final diagnosis is a primary desmitis of both hind annular ligaments. Normally annular ligament syndrome involves an inflammation and large swelling of the tendon sheath and then the annular ligament which runs across it and cannot stretch impinges on it and causes pain. Only Dan doesn't have anything wrong with his tendon sheath, but on the scans there is obvious damage to the actual structure of both the annular ligaments with no obvious underlying cause. He certainly has the surgeon interested in his case as it's very unusual - trust Dan to get something difficult and bizarre! now, I just hope cutting the ligament helps because although it's the standard treatment for traditional annular ligament syndrome, this is not what he has, but no-one could think of anything else to do that might help so we had to give it a go. Fingers crossed now.

Lynz25

Visit site
Ahh you had it done then. I got my horse back from Newmarket, post suspensory ligament operation, 3 weeks ago - started doing his 15 minute walk however after a bucking session the area swelled and he is now back to 5 minutes. Going to be rescanned in 10 days and then hopefully he can go on field rest. How's it going with the bandages - we had great fun with them falling down til I found a great trick.

Good luck with the rehab - hope all goes well

star

Visit site
he had his bandages redone this morning and i dont need to change them till thursday so they should be fine as the originals lasted from wed to today. whether mine will last to the following tuesday when i can take his stitches out will be the question. good thing i can get the bandages from work at cost price or this would be working out very expensive!

hope your rehab goes well too. i hate making him do box rest - he finds it all so stressful and it cant be good for his front legs to be weaving all the time, so have given him deep bed right to the door - just hope he starts to settle down soon or it's going to be a very long 8 weeks.

Lynz25

Visit site
We were hoping just to keep him in alone however we had to change our mind as he just wouldn't settle. So now I've got him in all the time and then the New Forest comes in during the day and in the pm moy other TB come in whist the NF goes out to grass - its like changing the guards twice per day. I am so glad that they are usually on grass except for about 1 month during the winter.

star

Visit site
he went nuts when we got him home as has been on big hospital yard with lots of horses, so brought in welshie friend to keep him company next door overnight. he will go nuts when he goes out tomorrow morning though - hoping one of the others can come in during the day to keep him company, so we will have changing of the guards too! have started him on a Valerian calmer too, but will have to jab him with ACP if he doesn't chill out soon - it wont do his leg any good hurtling round the box like a loony.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
glad the ops over and you can start to think about riding him before too long. Don't understand the technical stuff but it sounds something unusual!
Diamond is on near enough permanent box rest to allow the crack in her hoof to grow down enough to stabilise the foot, and we have found a few things to help.
We change her day stable to a different one for overnight.
We feed her with her haynet right by the door so she can look out most of the time.
She gets lolly ices filled with carrots and apple pieces to keep her occupied sucking them loose.
We try to never leave her as the only horse on the yard.
We talk to her a lot and keep the radio on all day.
This last enforced box rest is making a massive difference and she only goes out to travel by box to the farrier, she has adapted very well and doesn't stress at all now apart from the odd frantic whinney of "Let me OUT!"
Jonty just wouldn't settle when it was her turn, and was actually doing herself more harm than good by rolling and kicking the walls. We penned her in a small field with the mini shetland and that worked fine. She is now out with a couple of quiet youngsters acting as nanny to them and the last scan showed a massive improvement in the injury (it was a 6% tear in the flexor tendon).
It seems a long road to recovery to start with doesn't it and it will be odd to be on the other side of the fence again for you being a customer rather than a vet, but your patients will be lucky having someone who understands both sides of it!
best wishes to my favourite H and H horse and a wish he calms down, though our old WC is still a loony when under similar circumstances and he's 24..!

Zebedee

Visit site
Hi Star, hope everything goes well for Dan & that he makes a good recovery.
Picked up on your reference to work hours - have probably missed a post somewhere along the line but belated congratulations on reaching employed status!