Just had a horrible scare

RunToEarth

Visit site
Well, I decided sister would jump Monty cob tonight over the 75cm course at Westfield park (video to come) she did great, and came 3rd in the horses
smile.gif

Boxed up and drove home, and stopped off to get mum's wellies on the way up to grandma's where he is turned out. He just flipped. Scrambled, jumped kicked, and just as I opened the Jockey door he had lifted both fronts off of the floor and into the air, first reaction was to get in and calm him, but as I stepped in to untie and calm him, he came up, booted me in the haed (luckily still had my skull on) and caught my arm/wrist which is now a lovely shade of blue. He was obviously really stressed but by this time had managed to get both feet over the top of the breast bar. This is an Ifor Williams and the breast bars where on the highest setting so he obviously had some spring to it, but poor lad was in a right state. He calmed down and I stood with him until Dad came to help undo the breast bar. He is fine now, but has cut his face on his hooves.
crazy.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Eek, poor mite, hope he;s okay and isn't too worse for wear
frown.gif

I remember a friends 17.2 IDxTB flipped out while in their Ifor, he scrambled out under the back bar and skinned his back
crazy.gif

Kat
xx

RunToEarth

Visit site
I think it was because we stopped and he figured it was getting out time, Oshka is stabled down at our summer block this year, so he may hay whinnied to him
crazy.gif
Arm is a bit sore but I dont think anything is broken, its the hunt ball tomorrow night, handy, blue arm and all
crazy.gif
Just relieved horse is ok, and like you say, that I still had my hat on!

Dotilas

Visit site
VERY lucky you still had your hat on!!

Does your ifor have the allen (sp?) key that undoes the breast bar from outside? Just got a classic, and were given it, and the man said "Not that when a horse jumps over it, you'll ever think of using this!"

Make sure your neck is okay after your boot in the head...

And have a brandy
grin.gif

buckybee

Visit site
Eaak!!
shocked.gif
Silly boy! Glad your both ok!!

Well done to the sister!

don't wory about the arm at the ball, my mum once went with a pot on - she was going to take it off but she fell off a table when she was there so she was glad she didn't!
tongue.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
You poor thing
frown.gif
I hope you and horsey are both ok. I completly understand how frightened you must have been since we had a travelling incident on sunday !

My horse "went down" in the back of my friends horse box when we were on very narrow twisty roads on Sunday night (I live quite close to the original poster so she'll know what I mean!)

I jumped in the back with him and he managed to get back up but immediatly went absolutly crazy (bucking on the spot and completly terrified) and went down again. By this time he was exhausted, covered in cuts to his head and I could see rather a lot of blood to one of his back legs (but couldnt actually see the source).

We managed to get him back up again and I stayed with him this time which kept him calm.. Result was that I had to call my trainer's mum to come and rescue us with her horse box (that horsey had travelled in perfectly happily before).

Managed to have a good look at him when we got back and the cuts to his hind leg were actually very superficial although he'd given his fetlock a pretty good bang and, at this point, it was twice the size it should have been. He'd lost his shoe on said back leg and pulled a reasonable amount of hoof of with it and also taken a chunk of hoof out of one front foot a bit below the coronet band. In addition, he's covered in cuts to his head
frown.gif
They're superficial but still...

It seems my horsey didnt like the full partitions in my friends horse box and was used to the skirted partitions that my trainer had. I just never thought about that at all before travelling him!

Horsey is healing well now and there was no major damage but I swear to god, when he was flat out in the back of their horse box with one leg seemingly jammed under a partition, I really thought he was going to break his leg
frown.gif
Never ever been so scared in all my damn life!

p.s. sorry to intrude on the original poster's thread, but for some reason, it feels better to tell horsey people about it!

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oh gosh thats sounds horrible, is your horse ok now? Yes I always am nervy about travelling, a few years ago travelling from hunting my dad had a bad accident, he was travelling our mare in a friends Lorry and the floor gave way. His friend's horse broke all four legs and had to be PTS whilst our mare was still in the box. Horrible all these travelling accidents that happen. I was just thinking about it tonight though and travel boots would have made the whole thing 10times worse.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
He's fine now... I think Im more traumatised than he is. I must admit I have *always* travelled my horse in full boots and what not. But on sunday night, the travel boots just completly fell apart and still left his damn leg exposed anyway.

Well, to be accurate, the top of the boot, right down to the hoof part fell apart and the strap around the coronet band stayed attached, so we had to pull that off (with said horsey in a heap on the floor) to prevent things being worse.

I must admit its sort of left me wondering why I bother with the damn things since the one time I needed them, they've been no use at all !

The accident your dad had sounds absolutly horrific, particularly with your poor mare being there while it was all going on
frown.gif

Really hope your arm is ok!

samp

Visit site
I rememebr a friend having an Ifor Williams horse box and her horse managed to somehow escape from the grooms door, he just slipt straight out the door (massive 16.3hh) God knows how. he was very freaked out

k9h

Visit site
God Hun hope your OK & glad Monty is to.
I had similar happen years ago but was in a wagon & on the ferry from Ireland we had bouth aload of horses. Our wagon was forward facing 3 in front & 3 in back (Side ramps) Any how my new lad had decided at some stage that there was more room infront of his partion & tried to jump over natural only managing to get his front end over. B'cus it happened on ferry you are not aloud to be down near veichles so didn't find out till we went back down.
ooo.gif
He managed to crack is pelvis poor lad don't know how long he had been there. Took 8 months box rest poor lad towards the end started bucking in stable when you went in with a bucket of grass for him so I knew he must be feeling better. He came right in the end & whipped in when he was fit & well again.

Have a good night at ball. Least you an use your bruise as a pulling aid!!! Not that you need any help.

EllieBeast

Visit site
ooh, sounds terrible. i hope you and the coblet are ok? Ifors have quick release bars for just this occasion. there is an allen key which fits into the slots outside the trailer which you twist so the bar drops.
Sarah

Ferdinase514

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I was just thinking about it tonight though and travel boots would have made the whole thing 10times worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. Haven't travelled Finni in them since he flipped out 2 yrs ago. The boots flapping around his hooves made it much worse. Hejust wears brushing & O/R boots and has been fine.