just had worm count done..

seaview

and the mine came back <50 epg and my friends came back 50 epg,

what would anyone recommend? I know they dont test for tape worm so should I worm for it?

Thanks in advance

Nat
x

ihatework

From my understanding 50 epg or below is a pretty good result. These tests don't capture encysted redworm or tapes though. So at a bare minimum (provided your counts remain low) you would want to do an annual tape/encysted red such as pramox. I would personally do this twice a year though. Spring and Autumn.

Amymay

It should give you information relating to what the results meant.

Yours means essentially minimal or no eggs. And your friend is also borderline.

I had mine (Amy's) done recently and was really pleased to have no eggs found. However, I still plan to worm in my regular fashion for this year at least. Obviously tapeworm isn't part of the count - nor is redworm I think....

seaview

yeah <50epg is the lowest they will give you so very pleased as ahve been working hard o keep a good routine and pastures clear,
My other two are away at moment and ahve just been wormed buta s soon as they are back I will do them also!

Would you just worm for tapeworm now and then do another one in say 12 weeks time?

Nat
x

Theresa_F

Yours is clear and your other horse is very low and not urgent to worm. If it were me I would worm for tape and if you have not done so, do make sure you use something like Equest to clear encysted red worm.

I worm count March, August, worm for tape in September or use a multiwormer if anything found in August count. I then worm count late October and then give Equest in early January - Chancer has a medium count this March, but he is only young and more prone to worms so he will have an equest and then be counted again in August.