just how expensive is it?

sallypops

Visit site
just wondering how expensive it actually is to put ur horse in foal, i have looked it up but all sorts of places have different estimates, can anyone with experience help me??? or if you kno any good websites with info or anythin??

i have wanted to breed my highland mare since i got her, she has been out of work for a while is coming back ok but i still dunno whether i should just put her straight into foal because i now have another really good riding horse which i could use while she is out of action.

hope to hear back soon xx

brackenhappy

Visit site
god where to start!!!............i paid £350 stud fee NFFR, the vets package at £199 with vat but that covers all stud work, scans jabs etc. then her day to day livery of £3 per day as she is out with one feed per day (i supplied the feed!) she has had her feet done £38 normally £27!! shes been there since the 13th may! last bill was £138 for the month! i also pay her stable rent of £17.50 per week to keep her stable at her normal yard! i know some people have there own land so they wouldnt have this cost! dont know any websites as would depend on what you are lookin for. are you wanting a highland stallion?? good luck though with what ever you decide! x

sallypops

Visit site
well i am in 2 minds about stallions because my mare has a great attitude on the ground and is ideal for showing so i would want to breed her with a highland stallion for showing, however if i wanted to breed for my own riding pleasure peple have told me that highland X tb make excellent allround horses

i'm not wanting to rush into decisions about it or anything everyones thoughts will just help me along the way
smile.gif

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
depends if you are going to have your mare run with the stallion, use ai and that chilled or frozen (the later is more expensive)
the stud fee ???
the scans
the foaling and feeding of mare on stud feed from 8 months
the looking after foal from born till weaning !

fairyclare

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
set aside 1000 quid and you won't be far out.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the rest!!!

I have set aside £3k mare has been at stud 2 months, that £14.50 a day field livery, then the stud package @ £285 plus £500 stud fee then there is the transport costs to and from the stud, the EVA bloods ans CEM swabs before she could go to stud.
On top of all of that my basis livery cost to retain her box whilst she is away.

Oh and she is coming home tomorrow, no foalie! I have given up for this year so all of the above (except the stud fee) has been a waste of money!!

seansheep

Visit site
ah - I didn't include livery costs as I have AI done at home and it's my place so no costs like that - as you say when you add in transport costs and livery both ends you'll go higher than that

also my mares all seem to take first time so no costs for re-scans and extra doses of semen

then of course at the other end you've got the cost of foaling, keeping the mare and foal and then weaning - and that's assuming everything goes ok

Faithkat

Visit site
I reckoned that my foal had cost me £1500 before she was even born; that was including a stud fee of £450. The mare was fresh AI'd and took first time but she did conceive twins so the vet had to crush one. . . . . and then, like others have said, the costs of foaling etc . . . My foal will have cost nearly £2500 by the time she's registered (and that's just gone up), microchipped and vaccinated.

DollyPentreath

Visit site
At a recent Twemlows open day and breeding seminar we were told a normal sum would be £3000 spent on the day of birth and £5000 spent before breaking at 3-4. Although I think the emphasis was on breeding not being the cheaper option to buying..

The Voice

Visit site
I would say the £3-4K is about right but deends on the stallion, natural/AI and hidden costs such as registrations etc etc to get a foal om the ground. After that costs depend on if you are on livery or not. If you keep it then as a 3-4 yo, then you have to take in costs if you cannot break them in, training etc etc

You have to be commited (or should be to a hospital) to breed horses and seriously think about what you are going to do with them long term before you strart choosing a stallion as they don't stay cute little foals for very long and then start costing money and eating into profits if you are going to sell them.