Just how hairy is my horse??

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Evening all, so today out came the clippers again to remove the yak coat from my horse. He is only 16hh btw, not a giant. And has been well rugged since his first clip.

Im stuggling to believe how much came off him.

Evidence:

30th October, with probably a week old clip:

20201123_210039.jpg

What i shaved off today...not including legs:

20201123_210121.jpg

Thats an insane amount of hair in my mind! His coat is just so dense. He never gets fluffy, just grows more and more hair.

Please tell me I am not alone in the pain of clearly having to clip even more often than i do.

I hate clipping. :(

Roxylola

Visit site
Honestly, I'm down to 3 weekly now and I've been clipping since august. I could do fortnightly if I wanted him immaculate, and like you I get loads off when I do clip.

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
Certainly a lot of hair there but he is a lovely boy! Enough hair to make another horse! Lol! I find if I rug early my horse doesn’t grow as much hair and last year I didn’t need to clip! Thankfully......because I hate clipping too!

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Honestly, I'm down to 3 weekly now and I've been clipping since august. I could do fortnightly if I wanted him immaculate, and like you I get loads off when I do clip.

3 weekly?! Thats a horrible thought...I hate clipping!!

And i say first clip. First clip of winter coat. I normally do him twice over the summer. I'd understand if he was a super hairy cob, but we have 2 of those in the field and they are nothing like as hairy as this half warmblood.

Roxylola

Visit site
Its definitely not my favourite job, I am definitely over it now. I dont know when they stopped being summer clips and became autumn ones even. He is a hogged cob to be fair, but even so! The weather isnt helping, it's so stuffy I'm finding he gets sweaty working unless I'm really on top of it all

Visit site
I've taken almost as much off of the TB's sometimes! If you think clipping one horse every 3 weeks is bad I do 10-15 a week at work just now and am currently chasing my tail! I am the only one really who is doing any clipping and some of them are being done literally the day before they run rather than my prefered 7 days before! I usually have an accomplice who clips almost as many as I do but not this year!

Roxylola

Visit site
I used to do most of the clipping and trimming when I was at the riding school - I was quick, patient and quiet with the horses so pretty good at it without help unlike some of the staff and slight obsession with having them just so meant it was easier to leave me to it.
I dont love it but I do like a good job being done. Nothing like what you have to do though Elf, but enough to know its bloody hard work

Shay

Visit site
I think the weather has them confused a bit. I've had my cob 16 years. He's a steady about every 6 weeks. He doesn't like being clipped so I want the interval as long as possible - but his legs have to be clipped out for welfare reasons. 3 weeks. Its a record. And I did the legs once in the middle without the body! Baby Connie - has been a 2 clip soul the last 3 years. (He's 7). Clip before opening meet. Maybe tidy in January. Clipped early October (no opening meet obviously.....) He has grown it out. He has never done that - ever. Its so warm still. You can't rug them warm enough to stop the coat without cooking them. I can't imagine anything worse than being too warm so we err on the side of cool.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Yep its driving me mad, I like clipping, H does not like BEING clipped. Clipped him beginning of September up to halfway up his neck as he wouldn't allow more.
Clipped fully out when sedated for the dentist end of Oct. It had grown back by this point
Its already flipping mostly grown back! I hate it, especially as i won't be getting it as good again as I can't afford sedation again. It could have been Clipped last week even thats 2 weeks.
My clippers are off being fixed at the moment I need to call Shear Ease to pay to have the work done.

I hate this hot weather, it makes rugging an absolute minefield as you get the odd really cold night.

I was hoping to delay clipping until I'm off for the school holidays but I don't know if I'll be able to leave it that long.

He has cushings but even so the regrowth is ridiculous

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think the first clip in winter always grows back quickly, one of my Arabs was done in October and I did it again 2 weeks ago the other one had his first clip 2 weeks ago but he has a much finer coat.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I tried to get a picture of the depth of mine - definitely bear coated. He was sweating stood in the stable with all this. We're still having nights that are double figures in temp.

Attachments

• ted clip small.jpg
    ted clip small.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 8

tatty_v

Visit site
My polar bear has grown back his first clip so clippers back out on Thursday already ? can I ask those who clip frequently, how many clips do you get out of a set of sharp blades on average?

Annagain

Visit site
An old school horsey friend of mine insists that you have to clip once a month before Christmas but only once in total after Christmas. Charlie was clipped (first one with me, possibly first one ever - he was a star) on Sunday. If I clung on this long with Archie I could get away without clipping him again all winter (although he'd look a bit scruffy and cat hairy by Feb) so I'm hoping it will be the same for Charlie.

We then went to riding club in the afternoon and he got mega sweaty on the trailer. I'm not sure if he was just too warm with the rug I put on him - he only has an Irish clip - or if he'd got stressed about travelling in the dark. He's never been stressed travelling before but this was the first time in the dark. He only had a Premier Equine Premtex rug on, he really shouldn't have been that warm in it. I might have to take more off him if he gets that warm!