Just naping? How would you deal with it?

CBFan

Visit site
My lad is a 17.2hh 7 year old who has always been a bit 'reluctant' about going forward but has always gone out ok. and his 'reluctance has always been worked through...

He has (had) a few health issues. Firstly he has shivers so does suffer with muscle soreness / tightness in his back, secondly he had a bone chip removed from a ligament down near his fetlock earlier this year, which has healed well and no sign of any problems since.

Just recently I've been having problems with hacking him - he's just seemed rather reluctant to go... finding down hills particularly tough. I have started by addressing any possible pain issues by having his back done and then started feeding Devils Claw, and I saw a marked improvement, though still some reluctance. Have also hoof-booted him all round (he is barefoot and was previously only booted in front) He seems to have more of a spring in his step - definitely walking more positively down the drive before I get on, but less so once I am on board.

We don't have company to hack with during the week so we have to go out on our own and it just struck me this morning that his reluctance may be a confidence thing rather than anything else now, as I have noticed he's started trying turn and go up paths that I don't want him to (that head for home!), yet if I get off, he'll happily walk beside me (not that I do I hasten to add) also, when I tend to be heading in a homeward direction, he gets a noticeable spring in is step! So I'm starting to think he is now taking the piddle!! Any thoughts?

We hack with one other horse at the weekend and happily follows her but isn't too bothered if we get left behind... also the other week, we tried to pass another group of horses and he was reluctant to say the least...

soulfull

Visit site
Is he any better the first day you hack him alone after going with a friend the previous time? I've found some horses lose confidence a little more each time they go out alone rather than gain it.
What's he like to school?

PorkChop

Visit site
Have you tried long-reining him out - is he any different? Tbh I would agree that it may be pain related, how is he in his other work?

SpringArising

Visit site
X-rays first and then take it from there.

He could just be trying his luck but you mention he is reluctant to go forwards downhill, which would make me think.

CBFan

Visit site
Yes, the reluctance to go downhill has me concerned too - hence trying to rule things out one by one.

I can't longrein him as basically he's a ****** and I'd have no hope of holding onto him.

I'll see how he goes over the next week or so and phone the vet if I am in any doubt. Thanks all.

BeingKate

Visit site
CBfan one thing that might help you, possibly, is getting someone out to do a thermal imaging scan. It can't diagnose problems but it can be useful in highlighting hot spots that may signal an underlying problem. Whilst it's not all about money, it can help you to pinpoint problems so that the vet knows specific points at which to scan rather than scanning lots of different places it "might" be... if that makes sense. Hope that helps and hope he is ok

debserofe

Visit site
My horse had a reluctance to go downhill and it turned out he had very tight hamstrings - after loosening hamstrings off and making sure that when we were going downhill, I kept a very light seat, the problem seems to have gone away and he goes downhill much easier! Sounds like you also have some behavioural issues going on too - if he is happy enough with you on the ground in front (or to the side) of him but not with you behind (long lining) - in which case, it might be good to get someone to help you with that - I would not want to ride a horse out that I could not direct/handle from behind, in front or in fact anywhere! Hope it works out as there is nothing nicer than hacking out on a glorious day and not have to be dependent on somewhere else being there for your horse to be relaxed and with you.

CBFan

Visit site
Thank you for the further suggestions. BeingKate, that is a very good idea and one I will consider as I am loathed to spend loads of money on diagnostic imaging when there is no obvious lameness. He has various parts of his body already excluded on his insurance so I'd have a tough time claiming.

TBH debserofe he can be a naughty wotsit in hand too in that sometimes he decides he'd rather go elsewhere and so he does! and being so big, I struggle to hold him. He does it in such a way that sometimes you have no choice but to let go.. This is a long standing issue which we have approached in various different ways to remedy. We are getting there. Unfortunately I don't have help on hand all the time so, without paying someone, I am pretty restricted in what I can do and what I can hope to achieve.

I do think he suffers quite a lot with tight / sore muscles due to his shivers so it could be that he simply finds hills difficult because of this.... He is also only just coming back into work after the summer off due to his ligament surgery so his stamina isn't brilliant either so this might not be helping.

I love hacking on my own and I NEED to hack on my own so this is an issue I am determined to work through...

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
can you give him bute for a week-10 days to try and see if its a pain isue?

if he improves you know you have to start searching for the reasons he is sore.

try and borrow a hand held massage unit and do him for 20mins before you ride to loosen him off?

CBFan

Visit site
So Saturday and this morning he did the hills absolutely fine.

BUT on Saturday he did have a couple of confidence crashes. The first, we were hacking along a road and he spotted something (I don't know what), stopped and tried spinning and bogging off for home. I stopped him and after trying to encourage him forward, got off and led him. Got back on after some time (no-where suitable to stand to re-mount) Only to have to get off again as he saw some big stones (one not that much smaller than an elephant to be fair!) that he wouldn't go past... after this, he rest of the ride went without a hitch.

This morning though, he tried to plant himself down a track which runs between fields with 2 horses one side and 1 the other. After I had persuaded him to leave them, he was fine. even on the hills. I'm starting to think it is a confidence issue after all...

debserofe

Visit site
Gosh, he is sounding more and more like my boy used to be! Not sure where you are based but if you get a chance to audit a horsemanship clinic from the likes of Kathleen Lindley Beckham (my saviour and mentor); Mark Rashid; Martin Black, etc., do so! Another option is to go and watch Buck Brannaman 7 clinics on DVD, worth watching all of them but especially the leading and hind end, front end works - it works on horses that plant and bolt equally because if you can direct the energy and get to the feet, you will have more chance of working through the behaviour.

Good on you for not giving up on him - and there is no shame in getting off and leading him past something to allow you and he the time to gain confidence and trust in one another. I know, I went from problems where I was getting scared to hack him out in company to hacking out alone or in company but preferring to hack out alone - quality time!!

CBFan

Visit site
Thanks debserofe. I really don't see any harm in getting off either. I think it is better to deal with these things as calmly as possible so, if calm, followed by fairly firm persuasion doesn't work, I'd much rather hop off to show him that it is safe... I will take a look at your suggestions.

Broodle

Visit site
can you give him bute for a week-10 days to try and see if its a pain isue?

if he improves you know you have to start searching for the reasons he is sore.

try and borrow a hand held massage unit and do him for 20mins before you ride to loosen him off?

^^^This, 10x over.

Ime horses in pain can react by shutting down, or by 'living off their nerves'. If he is sore then chances are he will overreact to scary situations because he's already in a state of heightened anxiety.

A bute trial is cheap and easy - seems a no-brainer to me.

CBFan

Visit site
He is a pure CB... not sure why this affects things?

I will try a bute trial if I continue to have a problem, however I have recently moved, so changed vets so could be tricky to persuade new vet to do this. The trouble is, I KNOW at least one of the reasons he is sore - he has SHIVERS which causes muscle soreness tightness due to the muscle spasms. He was only at the vet in April this year for a full lameness work up and they found NOTHING other than the bone fragment in his ligament, which was duly removed.