just need some advice on laminitis/restricting grazing before the spring grass comes!

rose bud

Visit site
Hi everyone,
I am just after some advice please. I own a cob mare and a have a little shetland who is on loan to me as a companion pony.
They live out 24/7 in a field that is approximatly 1 - 1.5 acres big.
When I got the shetland on loan her owner said not to feed her (even hay) unless the weather was very very bad, and to try and get her weight down by the spring (she was quite fat when she came to me) although she hasn't lost any weight so far.
The problem is that I an terrified of either of them getting laminitis (as far as I know neither of them have had it in the past, but it is my first winter with both of them) and I am looking for some advice as to what i should be doing to manage it please.
The field isn't huge and doesn't have that much grass in at the moment although it may still be growing as it has been so mild, but should I be sectioning it off and rotating them between areas?If so, how do I do this?
Sorry to sound like a complete novice but any advice gratefully received!
Thankyou in advance.

be positive

Visit site
The grass has not really stopped growing all winter and unless we get a cold snap it is going to continue. It is probably a good idea to at some point divide your field if you can so that part can be rested and also to restrict them.
I think that the best thing is for them to have a fairly good sized area so they move as much as possible and have found fencing in a L shape really useful as mine spend more time on the move, or even better fence a central area so they have to go all the way round to graze, exercise is the key to getting the weight to stay off combined with a restricted intake of calories.

rose bud

Visit site
Hi,
Thankyou for your reply! that sounds like a good idea to keep them moving. when would you start to think about fencing them off and how long would you rest the grass for roughly?
many thanks

be positive

Visit site
I would divide the field fairly soon, rest until it is growing well then swap, depending on how they do weight wise you may find that part can be left all summer and be used during next winter.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
If you can, fence off the middle bit so as you look at the field, the middle part takes up at least half the width with the rest of the width being the two corridors. Like a square within a square. You could even make it narrower as long as there is room for them to get past one another without the other getting crabbity.

TigerTail

Visit site
Id look at a track system around the outside. Just do electric fencing, wide enough for them to be stood next to each other, all around the field on the inside of the outside fence.

Not only limits their grass intake but also encourages movement, so they have to walk for their food which also helps hoof health.

Then you can leave the middle till its dying and of poor quality next winter and theyve got winter foggage :D

PS ig you google paddock paradise theres loads of info and ideas

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Don't bother divi ding fields into postage stamps.... This is counter intuitive to the horses wellbeing.

Invest in a suitable muzzle, apply overnight or during day and allow roaming to encourage excercise.

Paddock paradise is the optimum grazing system if you can a manage it. But please do not fence them in tiny squares. They are worth more than that.

Hen

Visit site

Thanks for sharing this it looks a great resource.

I have similar concerns, I am thinking about starting with a grazing muzzle shortly - does anyone have any advice about introducing a horse to a muzzle, or recommendation for a good one? My horse is small headed and very sensitive around the nose and muzzle, I am worried about rubbing and causing stress (not of feed restriction, doing great with a tricklenet!)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Some people who are nifty with thread and needle sew sheepskin into insides. I have found the greenguard very nasty but the shires ones to be face friendly with no rubbing whatsoever.

Hen

Visit site
Some people who are nifty with thread and needle sew sheepskin into insides. I have found the greenguard very nasty but the shires ones to be face friendly with no rubbing whatsoever.

Thank you Tallyhohoho that's really useful to know; I looked at the Greenguard yesterday and thought 'eek', interesting you had that experience. I'll look at the Shires ones. Cheers.

TigerTail

Visit site
Don't bother divi ding fields into postage stamps.... This is counter intuitive to the horses wellbeing.

Invest in a suitable muzzle, apply overnight or during day and allow roaming to encourage excercise.

Paddock paradise is the optimum grazing system if you can a manage it. But please do not fence them in tiny squares. They are worth more than that.

Fabulous post Tallyho :D

Aside from the mental well being of the horse, you also restrict the amount they can move and their will to move, whats the point when you can only go from A to B and back again?! This means their bodies arent getting as much exercise and their feet are getting less stimulus - all negatives.

Do look at the track/paddock paradise thing :)

PS brill link there Oberon