Just out of curiosity can you build your own.....

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Horse trailer?

My hubby has built superb quality trailers (normal ones for years) and when I commented today that I might like a horse trailer of my own, he asked why he couldn't make one?

Is it lawful to build your own? Anyone any experience of it?

Tia

Visit site
Yes it must be legal to do so as I've seen plenty of home-made trailers. I would think all you have to do is build it to a level where it will pass the inspections....do you have inspections over there? We do here.

The biggest problem I'd see with building your own would be the weight issue? Presuming you are going to build it from either wood or steel - unless you can get your hands on some lightweight materials?

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
OOoooo
ooo.gif
cool.gif
I have found a company that sell the aluminium sheeting and ALL the bits that you need to build your won horse 'box'
grin.gif

My hubby can make 'anything', he is just one of life's natural DIYers and everything he does is way better than bought ones. But we weren't sure if it was actually legal?

What are the inspection rules on them? Do they have to be MOT'd ??? and if so how often?

Sorry for all the daft questions......just not something I have bothered avout before.

Tia

Visit site
You know it sounds awfully silly but I really don't remember
blush.gif
. I've only been here a couple of years and already I've forgotten loads of what went on over there....

I don't ever remember taking my horse trailers for any tests or inspections over in England....so no I don't think you do. Over here trailers have to pass inspections to be road-worthy and they go through a thing like an MOT....but I really don't think you have to do any of that stuff in England.

I'm not sure where you would look to find out the information - why don't you email a horse transport manufacturer? They will know what the rules and regulations are I'd have thought.

Sounds like you're on the ball though - good luck with it and of course the photos go without saying don't they?
grin.gif

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Tut Tut Tia......you have let me down
frown.gif
I rely on you to be my font of all knowledge!
smirk.gif
wink.gif

How can you forget poor old blighty and all her 'rules'
shocked.gif
You are turning into a proper Canadian
grin.gif

Beach here we come!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Natalie_H

Visit site
Our trailer does not require MOT / Inspection. They recommend you have it serviced at particular intervals - but there appears to be no law that you have to - saying that I have only had my trailer for a year so maybe I am missing something. Mine has a serial number - don't know if you would require something similar if you built one but as far as I am aware if your OH can do it, there shouldn't be too many problems
smile.gif

In front of the computer with a brandy :)
Visit site
Hi GG ...
its legal to build your own ... AND they dont require MOTs etc ...
BUT you would have trouble insuring it as it wouldnt have a registered design or chassis number etc.
Also the weight issue , balancing the weight with the axles and getting the towing weight / balance right and might be some new regs with the new towing laws regarding weight of vehicle .
Would probably work out much cheaper buying something pre-made and renovating it - then you have all the basics there.

MMAB

Tia

Visit site
LOL!! I know
blush.gif
. It scares even me how much I've forgotten about England sometimes.

MMAB has made total sense with his post
smile.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
OH, I see...

Trips to the beach in mine just not good enough eh?

grin.gif

What Jonathan said though... quite strangely (well, he IS strange) - it makes sense - it was what I would have said
tongue.gif

*GM tiptoes quietly out and off to bed before 'Manda gives her a clip round the lug*
grin.gif

PS - peace restored to the GG househould yet or is the week up tomorrow?

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
oooooh welcome back......long time no hear!
laugh.gif

I hope you are ok?

I think I will have to get hubby to look into it a little more in depth.
smirk.gif
I am sure he could definitely make one to the right spec if he knew what they were
grin.gif

To be honest it is all a bit pie in the sky at the moment and was just a passing comment. Just thought I would pick all the brains on here to see if there was any experience of it.

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
*Manda rubs hand as it is smarting after giving GM a good clip round the ear*
tongue.gif

Actually Manda prefers idea of using GM's trailer as it is very smart and won't cost Manda £15 a month for storage!
grin.gif
Just need to build up nerve to take speed machine to beach
cool.gif

GG householed is back to normal as of today
laugh.gif
cool.gif
grin.gif
I can't tell you how pleased I am
grin.gif

PS not sure how YOU dare call MMAB strange!
confused.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif