just out of interest/opinions sharing costs

elkiebean

www.sendbarnsequestrian.co.uk
bit of a continuation from the last post i made.....

how much would you either expect to pay for a share or how much would you charge?

for example my horse is 15hh, easy going can be forward but not fizzy... hacks, good on ground, jumps over 1m+
facilities at the yard include 3 schools, xc field and amazing hacking.

how much to charge??? the yard charges people 300+ for 3 days per week for a school horse.

thanks!!!!!!!

Myloubylou

Visit site
The most I charged was £40 a week, no chores but this was for 2 weekdays only. I charge my current sharer £60 a month for same deal as people won't pay as much around here and to be fair livery is much cheaper. Horse in question is 15.1hh welsh d, uncomplicated but with a bit of welsh cheekiness

Steorra

Visit site
£80-£100 a month is standard around here, or £10 per day. Be careful about charging per ride though since this has insurance implications. A weekly or monthly contribution towards costs seems to be fine but pay-per-ride might be seen as hiring your horse out.

I've paid £160 pcm for a fantastic horse on full livery with competition ops, £80 pcm for a cheeky pony I could hack, jump and school, and had a couple of free shares where the owner needed the horse exercised. So it really depends on individual circumstances.

£300 pcm seems very unreasonable! On the other hand, a riding school loan is a different thing really to a private share, since they have to make up for the fact the horse is less available for lessons.

lawa

Visit site
I have paid up to 120 pcm that was with unlimited riding and miilimal chores.

Average is around 25 a week for 2-3 days generally including a week day doing all chores on that day

WelshD

Visit site
I'd happily pay a couple of hundred pounds a month for what your describe however what most of us think is irrelevant really it seems to vary quite a lot in different parts of the country and availability in the local area

if there area people locally willing to pay £300 then there must be a market locally, I don't see why people shouldn't being in more than the token amounts charged elsewhere

Last edited:

elkiebean

thanks for the replies!!

ive had people say the max they can do is about 40 per month and they wanted 3 days per week including a weekend!?
i wouldnt be looking to charge someone 300+ per month but people seem to be very reluctant to pay anything over 120 for 3 days a week.... considering it costs on part livery including shoes and insurance about 600 per month i diddnt think up to 200 per month was unreasonable for 3 days of doing pretty much what you want and option to compete? or is it aha i dont know...

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
Hmm, these folk don't understand the true costs of keeping a horse, just as many don't understand the costs involved in maintaining a yard and land.

gunnergundog

Visit site
OK...just to put another spin on things............back in the early 90's I had two event horses in work, plus a full-on full time job that necessitated travel abroad on a regular basis. One horse was an up and coming nov/int horse that eventually went on to 3* and the other was a pre=novice, post injury which, although not even in his teens, meant that his serious competition life was over. I advertised in a local freebie magazine and got the usual 'I can do rising trot and am off the lead rein brigade' despite emphasizing that they were fit event horses. I got one response from a lady that had taken a year out to work with the then european 3DE champion before going to uni and had continued to keep in touch with that individual and work for them through their vacations.....I BIT that persons hand off and felt delighted/honoured that they were interested to come and ride my neds. It worked very well for me.

I am gobsmacked that nowadays people expect to charge someone to hack their horses/basic school them or whatever. The individual above was saving me money....if I had had to pay the four star eventer on whose yard I was liveried to do the work I would have been bankrupted many times over. The mentality seems to have changed over the years and maybe I should now be a millionaire if I had charged people to ride my horses, but at the time THEY were doing me a favour.

PS Just to clarify I made NO CHARGE whatsoever and even took said individual to dressage/clear round SJ comps as a freebie as well.

Last edited:

cobalobM

Visit site
i pay £70 per month for 1 week day a week.. so works out at £17.50 per day.. :) yard has similar facilities to what you mention and horse is a good all rounder, although i cant change my day to a weekend so i cant compete etc!

Umbongo

Visit site
Depends on the area too. I am in North London/Herts and most around here seem to be about £10 a day, so £120pcm sounds about right. For a good horse, good facilities and a chance to compete I have seen some that are £15 a day. Although they vary hugely...my current share is free!

Last edited:

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
OK...just to put another spin on things............back in the early 90's I had two event horses in work, plus a full-on full time job that necessitated travel abroad on a regular basis. One horse was an up and coming nov/int horse that eventually went on to 3* and the other was a pre=novice, post injury which, although not even in his teens, meant that his serious competition life was over. I advertised in a local freebie magazine and got the usual 'I can do rising trot and am off the lead rein brigade' despite emphasizing that they were fit event horses. I got one response from a lady that had taken a year out to work with the then european 3DE champion before going to uni and had continued to keep in touch with that individual and work for them through their vacations.....I BIT that persons hand off and felt delighted/honoured that they were interested to come and ride my neds. It worked very well for me.

I am gobsmacked that nowadays people expect to charge someone to hack their horses/basic school them or whatever. The individual above was saving me money....if I had had to pay the four star eventer on whose yard I was liveried to do the work I would have been bankrupted many times over. The mentality seems to have changed over the years and maybe I should now be a millionaire if I had charged people to ride my horses, but at the time THEY were doing me a favour.

PS Just to clarify I made NO CHARGE whatsoever and even took said individual to dressage/clear round SJ comps as a freebie as well.

OK, but I don't think the OP is talking about a 'professional' to school her horse, just someone to share general fitness and costs.

Jo_x

Visit site
I have no expectations for how much a share "should" cost, it's entirely dependent on the circumstances of the owner. I have shared several horses, varying from paying nothing to paying a few hundred pounds per month, and the amount of riding and stable chores I did also varied hugely depending on the circumstances at the time.

Why do you need a sharer? Do you need a financial contribution, is it time for chores you are struggling with, do you want help keeping the horse fit, do you want the horse schooled, etc. This should guide how much you charge.

I would say not more than a proportional share of the routine costs (eg 3/7 if doing 3 days a week), maybe a bit less depending on your circumstances.

Pippity

Visit site
Why do you need a sharer? Do you need a financial contribution, is it time for chores you are struggling with, do you want help keeping the horse fit, do you want the horse schooled, etc. This should guide how much you charge.

This is a really good point. The owner of my previous share horse needed a financial contribution. The owner of the horse I currently ride needs help keeping him exercised and fit because she doesn't have time to ride during the week, so it's a very different arrangement, especially as I also have two or three lessons a month with her instructor.

bouncing_ball

Visit site

In all shares, the balance of benefit needs to be right for both sides. So long as it is, then it works.

elkiebean

I'm not looking for someone to come and professionally school him for me... I'd pay for that! looking for a bit of financial help as I'm at college and just to keep him ticking over on days I can't get down.
I know some people don't mind offering their horses for free as it helps them but in my opinion it costs so much to keep a horse if you want to be able to ride someone's horse you should have to pay something (just my opinion)

I would obviously pay if I wanted someone to come and school him, but I wouldn't go somewhere expecting to ride someone's horse for free... Especially as I know how much it costs to keep them.....

cappucino

Visit site
On recent 'share hunt' I've been offered all sorts of deals, from paying nothing and doing jobs... up to £75 a week!

It totally depends on what you both want from a share, whether it is a time issue or a money issue. It has to be mutually beneficial.

Personally I definitely know exactly how much it costs to fund a horse... and it is up to the owner to suggest what they want and up to the sharer to decide what suits them as well.

OP suggest you offer/advertise what you want a sharer to pay and see how you get on... Just bear in mind that in the current market there might be quite a few options for a decent experienced sharer (which I hope I am!)

I consider myself to have been extremely lucky to have ridden some fabulous horses over the past few weeks in my search, it has been very hard making a decision and I am happy with the horse and the 'deal' I have agreed upon as I believe it will work really well both for me and for the horse's owner.