Just put what3words app on my phone ....

Greylegs

Visit site
.... And it’s brilliant. Looks like a real step forward in safety for those of us who ride alone, work in the country side, travel anywhere, walk dogs or whatever you might be doing. Has anyone else got it? Just need to remember to carry my phone with me (and make sure it’s charged up!) whenever I ride.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
the UK has been divided into squares, each identified by 3 words, so if you need to give someone your location it will probably be easier to communicate in an emergency than grid references.

I say UK it might be the world :p

https://what3words.com/

Annagain

Visit site
It's also good for navigating to more remote locations like livery yards for vets, farriers, dentists etc not just emergency services as it's much more specific than a postcode. You can put the three words in and ask it to send the location to your maps to give you a sat nav to the exact spot. I've spent so long driving round trying to find yards when I'm going to view horses, I might ask sellers to give me the 3 words from now on!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
open app, it gives you 3 words for your current location.

you can change the location and it will give you 3 words for there.

conniegirl

Visit site
Ive just dowloaded it, the police in my area have used it and are mentioned in the bbc article as recommending it

Petalpoos

Visit site
It works world wide. It is a great concept, not just for when you get dumped in a field in the middle of nowhere. Much easier than trying to read out a grid reference and it has a 'navigate here' option for those trying to find you or for when you are trying to find someone.

paddy555

Visit site
Does the app automatically know where you are, or do you have to find out the 3 words, somehow?

if you go onto the site, possibly the one quoted, there is a world map, you can narrow it down to your home and get your 3 words for your front gate so if you had to ring from home the police/ambulance would know exactly where you are

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
You can even get a little sign with your three words on it to put on your house.

We were sitting waiting to see the head mistress this morning (results day) and the three word address there is “beautifully streaking something” 😂. We weren’t.

Silver Clouds

Visit site
so do I in particular Devon and Cornwall police who don't want to know. :eek:

It's a bit of a worry that the public are downloading a safety app that not all of the Police forces will use- how will the emergency services respond if the 3 words are all that a caller can use to identify their location? As it's an easier (and more memorable) method than using grid references it seems a shame that this (or something similar) isn't universally accepted. Have D&C Police given a reason why they don't like/want to use it?

Annagain

Visit site
It's a bit of a worry that the public are downloading a safety app that not all of the Police forces will use- how will the emergency services respond if the 3 words are all that a caller can use to identify their location? As it's an easier (and more memorable) method than using grid references it seems a shame that this (or something similar) isn't universally accepted. Have D&C Police given a reason why they don't like/want to use it?

You can still use it to get a grid reference I think

hattie2525

Visit site
A friend of mine works for the Coastguard and just told me they are really keen to get people using it as its so much easier than people struggling to use using grid references in an emergency. I had never heard of it before but this thread is the 3rd mention of it today! Weird how that happens sometimes.

Sasana Skye

Visit site
I have downloaded it too. I ride, walk, run, and cycle rurally, I've often thought if I fall and break my leg how on earth am I going to explain where I am to call an ambulance!? On the lighter side we are now playing a competition at work of who lives in the funniest sounding place :D

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
OH just insisted daughter put it on fine as she’s going away to uni....he obviously doesn’t want to find me if I fall off or get kidnapped!

paddy555

Visit site

this was my 2nd attempt after I asked them to forward their first unhelpful reply to someone in charge. I shall contact the Police commissioner next. Devon and Cornwall have Dartmoor, Exmoor and Bodmin Moors, let alone the coast where lots of people can fall down rocks or just try and drown anyway. Not very impressed by them.

"Good Evening

Unfortunately we do use a mapping system and as mentioned previously unsure if this app will be used by Devon & Cornwall Police in the future or this will have cost implications.

Kind Regards

Force Contact Centre

DEVON & CORNWALL POLICE"