Just seen yet another ad☹️

J&S

Visit site
A couple of years ago I would have been pleased to buy a 17 yr old for £500.00 who was in my required size range (13 - 15 hh) I wanted a companion for my retired mare, one who we could ride just for very quiet local hacking. My step daughter and I trawled pages of ads, drove several hundred miles to be dissapointed for one reason or other, passed on many an old pony who the owners wanted up to £2,000 for and also many for that price who had conditions needing complex medication. Luckily found one via my farrier who, like the pony she is companion to, will be homed for the rest of her life.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
As long as they vet the homes correctly, I can't get upset about it.

Rigsby wasn't the brightest prospect when I bought him, but he seems to be doing just fine.

His old owner was genuine and simply was not able to keep him. It would have been a shame if he had been PTS because of his age/issues. I bought him knowing he may just be a companion horse and may not be fit to ride. I also said that I couldn't promise a forever home, as no one knows what the future holds - but if I had to sell, I would offer him back 1st, or sell him to someone who I thought would treat him well, or PTS.

Winters100

Visit site
I'm not sure I can get too worked up about that. My friend bought her old boy aged 18, he'd been doing nothing in a field having retired as a hunt horse he was sound but getting older. He has been the most incredible first horse for her, absolutely couldn't ask for better, reliable and safe, fun and up for anything but sound and tough. He could have stayed in that field fat and bored until something went wrong and he was PTS but instead he has had an amazing time doing pleasure rides, hacking, competing, and hunting with bloodhounds. He's still hacking out and loving life in his late 20s now and is incredibly well loved.

If people don't sell older sound horses then there are no nice schoolmaster types to buy. Obviously a bit of due diligence is required but there is no reason why people shouldn't sell sound older horses.

I sold a sound 18 year old about 12 years ago to a friend who has their own yard and also breeds. He had a wonderful life as a schoolmaster for the owner's children, later retiring and being 'nanny' to the foals. He had been sold on the basis that I would take him back at any time if he was unwanted, but it never came to that, he was pts for a variety of age related issues aged 27. I have to say that I would have to be very confident of the home to sell an 'oldie', but I agree that if the right home is available then there is no reason that they should not enjoy their twilight years doing whatever work is suitable and enjoyable for them.

Winters100

Visit site
These oldies have so much to give. The fools are the near-novices who think they're getting value for money by buying a young horse, when all they're buying is trouble (and likely ruining a young horse in the process).

I wish I'd had the money to buy oldies for my kids.

This 100%. I think the one horse who I can say has given me exactly what I want every single day is the one that I bought when she was 14. Everyone told me that she was too old, but it was the best horse buying decision I ever made. I am not a novice, but had confidence issues after a serious accident, and I owe every day that I enjoy riding to this mare - without her I would not be riding today. She has earned the right to live the life she wants, for now she is full of beans, but when I no longer feel the spring in her step we will just walk in the forest, and when she no longer wants to be ridden I will walk beside her. I honestly feel that I am lucky every day to have her, and much as the other 2 are fun I will never forget that it is only because of her that I have the confidence to ride them.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’m in two minds on this. Obviously bad things can happen to an older horse but I’ve seen some get lovely homes where they’re greatly appreciated. My old boy is 26yrs old and (touch wood) healthy and full of beans and although he’ll never be passed on it would be an awful decision to have him put down when he’s still enjoying life.

PurBee

Visit site
Sometimes a 'forever home' may be forced to get rid of a horse they are unable to keep - getting really ill, death, having to sell your land whatever. Not all eventualities are forseeable. But what do you do with a healthy 17-18 yr old ..... - PTS (killing!!) seems very mean but Hickstead Derby has been won by an 18 yr old...... its a difficult decision and if we havent been in that situation ourselves maybe we should'nt be too judgemental when we see adverts for oldies....

in my mind 17-18 isnt old - they perhaps arent suitable for folk into high energy/strain horse sports but for happy hackers and popping the odd fence, they potentially have 10 good more years in them if their 17yrs have not been high mileage and knackered their legs/joints.
Many people comment on loving riding their 20’s something horse that thinks its a 10yr old.
The horse world is very ageist when it comes to horses.

PurBee

Visit site
Something I have noticed a lot recently is 'bought as a project a few weeks/months ago but don't have time/not suitable/changed my mind' blah blah blah.

Horses are creatures of habit that like a routine and stability. It breaks my heart to think of how many get passed around home after home and never get to settle.

I have always seen owning any animal as a huge commitment, of both time and money, so taking on any new animal is something that I always give a lot of thought to.

I agree that there must be a lot of people in financial difficulty right now though, and therefore selling in their position is completely understandable, but it also seems that some people enjoy passing around 'projects' and not thinking about how that feels for the poor horse.

i expressed the same sentiment to a horse owner in conversation and she replied “theyre only animals” ...?

They may well be ‘only’ animals but does that give anyone the right to treat them with disrespect, not allow them routine or social connection? Animals (and humans!) that dont have this basic level of care and regard develop behaviour problems, no matter the species.

Bambelina

Visit site
I’m not sure if it’s because I started in a riding school for a few years before I got my own, but I just can’t see something in its teens as ‘old’ given that (sadly, and not always rightly..) a lot of riding school horses and ponies are still working in their late 20s..!
Obviously now I would know the horse would probably need a quieter life, maybe more so than my 10 year old, but I would never completely write an 18 year old off! In my mind, if managed correctly, all horses can be ridden well into their late 20s, providing they are happy to be so, and so ideally still be marketable to good homes if needing sold..I would pay good money for a well schooled, been there done it type even in their early 20s!

Winters100

Visit site
I’m not sure if it’s because I started in a riding school for a few years before I got my own, but I just can’t see something in its teens as ‘old’ given that (sadly, and not always rightly..) a lot of riding school horses and ponies are still working in their late 20s..!
Obviously now I would know the horse would probably need a quieter life, maybe more so than my 10 year old, but I would never completely write an 18 year old off! In my mind, if managed correctly, all horses can be ridden well into their late 20s, providing they are happy to be so, and so ideally still be marketable to good homes if needing sold..I would pay good money for a well schooled, been there done it type even in their early 20s!

Sadly it is not my experience that good management will allow all horses to be ridden well into their late 20s. Some yes, but you need a lot of luck. I have had horses who have been happily ridden in old age, but also others who have had to be retired relatively young, all receiving the same management. Also do remember that a lot of riding schools allow the horses to be used when they are in a condition that most private owners would retire them.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think how you feel about different ages being sold is probably reflected in what your own horses were doing at those ages.

It's seeing them on the open market that I struggle with, those who have gone to friends of friends/to be a PC pony for another family etc not so much.

If I'd have been unable to keep Frank past the age of 20 he'd have only gone to a connection, and there would have been someone for him because yes he was the sort of pony that was going to teach you lots (ask my novice sharer about that!)
I'm also aware that he went from hunting at 24 me worrying that he wouldn't give me an indication of when he needed to slow down to a few months later retired to light flat hacking, and only a year or so on to full retirement and requiring medication.

Bambelina

Visit site
Sadly it is not my experience that good management will allow all horses to be ridden well into their late 20s. Some yes, but you need a lot of luck. I have had horses who have been happily ridden in old age, but also others who have had to be retired relatively young, all receiving the same management. Also do remember that a lot of riding schools allow the horses to be used when they are in a condition that most private owners would retire them.

I know it’s not always ‘right’, and yes 95% of the time the ponies arent really doing anything as strenuous as privately owned horses (such as competition horses etc) but I’m just saying it’s a shame horses in late teens are often seen as old.....yes often they need to step down a level or two, but I do think there’s a huge market for horses in their ‘twilight years’ for someone like me who I would class as pretty amateur (unaffiliated competitions. Riding club level activities etc).
Just edited to add having said that, it may be an issue of people like me wanting a younger horse so as to progress through the levels together. I completely understand that! But for me I have no intention of doing anything more than low level competing and if I didn’t have the mare I do now I wouldn’t rule out a horse in it’s late teens if I saw it advertised and it fit the bill in other areas!
Hoping this comes across making sense, it did in my head ??

Last edited:

Miss_Millie

Visit site
I know it’s not always ‘right’, and yes 95% of the time the ponies arent really doing anything as strenuous as privately owned horses (such as competition horses etc) but I’m just saying it’s a shame horses in late teens are often seen as old.....yes often they need to step down a level or two, but I do think there’s a huge market for horses in their ‘twilight years’ for someone like me who I would class as pretty amateur (unaffiliated competitions. Riding club level activities etc).
Just edited to add having said that, it may be an issue of people like me wanting a younger horse so as to progress through the levels together. I completely understand that! But for me I have no intention of doing anything more than low level competing and if I didn’t have the mare I do now I wouldn’t rule out a horse in it’s late teens if I saw it advertised and it fit the bill in other areas!
Hoping this comes across making sense, it did in my head ??

Totally agree with this. I'm hoping to buy my first horse in the next couple of years and will be very happy to buy a horse aged 10+. My favourite horse at my RS is 21 and I helped ride my friend's mare for a while who was 26. Both absolute dream horses which I felt completely safe on and had loads of fun with. I have no interest in competing and just want my horse to be a friend for life, to go on adventures with.

I think the sad thing is that a lot of people do see horses of a certain age as 'past their prime', and rather than going on chilled hacks or giving them a happy retirement, they'd rather get shot of them, buy another young horse, and so the cycle continues until the new horse gets old.

I'd personally never be able to do that, mainly because I view my animals as part of the family, and as soon as an animal comes into my life I feel a great sense of pride and responsibility in caring for it. Yes, there are exceptional circumstances sometimes, but there are undoubtedlty many people who see their horses more as 'assets' than animals, and if they aren't 'earning their keep' anymore then it's time for them to go. Sad attitude to me, when the horse has given them so much over the years. You see the same with dogs, when people want a nice new puppy, the old dog ends up in a rescue or for free on Gumtree :(

Brownmare

Visit site
I think this is one of those scenarios that very much depends on the individual as to whether it is right or wrong. A fit rideable 20+ year old horse could give many years of pleasure and education to a new owner but equally a change in management could mean nascent health concerns blow up and the horse is rendered unrideable within months. I would never sell an elderly horse as a companion because I do think that (subconsciously) people tend to place more value and therefore take better care of animals they have had for years and have happy memories with.

I have a retired 15 year old I would never sell or loan out because, even though his hock looks like a bag of spanners and there is no fear anyone would sell him on as rideable, he had at least 8 owners before me and had clearly had bad treatment in the past (he would run to the back of his stable if someone even walked past carrying a whip) so I promised him he would never leave me as I never want him to be in a strange place with nobody he knows he can trust. It would kill me to do it but if I couldn't keep him he would be pts. I am a firm believer that there are a great many worse things for a horse than a quick death while still happy.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Back in early 2009, a section A welsh appeared in the field adjacent to ours. Turned out to be a 2 yr old, shortly after a grey, araby type about 14.2 was added. He was a real sweetie but judging by his teeth easily 20's. He was poor, clipped, shod (needed re-shoeing) and wore a very basic turnout rug. We later found out these ponies had been given to a girl by her father to try and tempt her away from the rather bad lifestyle she was leading. She had previously had horses but was now more into drugs. She was old enough to drive so not a young teenager. She would turn up once a day, dump a feed of nuts in front of both of them and leave. The old boy struggled with the nuts so the pony had most of them. They had very little if any hay and there wasn't much grass on the field. At one point the old boy's rug was missing and despite bitterly cold weather he was left without for a couple of days. I could have cried for him but there was nothing I could do. No good calling RSPCA as they had food and water.
The old boy's shoes had to grow off his feet, they were never touched. That summer he picked up a little bit and when winter came he had a rug with a neck so we couldn't judge his weight. Then a big bale of haylage appeared in the field so we thought everything was ok.
The 1st Jan 2010 I came back from a trip to see a potential loan pony to the awful news that he had been found dead that morning. At that point it had been bitterly cold with hard frosts for days. RSCPA were then called and a vet came out from the practice we used. Apparently he was skin and bone and a post mortem done when he thawed out showed that the only thing wrong with him was his teeth hence starvation. The owner hadn't put the haylage in the field, someone connected with the field owner had done that out of the kindness of their heart. Whoever sold that poor old boy was to my mind nearly as guilty as the girl who owned him. She was found guilty of neglect, can't remember what punishment she got but it wouldn't have been adequate.

Highflinger

Visit site
I do think over 20 is too old to sell on. Yes a horse of 17/18 going to someone looking for a steady hack is fine as they could have a good 5 years or more - I still very gently hack my 30 year old and seem to say "steady" quite frequently when we are out!
If circumstances are such that you simply cannot keep them then a loan home where you can be assured of their wellbeing would be the alternative. If the add on Nfed was still up I would have offered the poor darling a home with me.
I personally have mine for life and have made provision for them in my will should I die before them.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Back in early 2009, a section A welsh appeared in the field adjacent to ours. Turned out to be a 2 yr old, shortly after a grey, araby type about 14.2 was added. He was a real sweetie but judging by his teeth easily 20's. He was poor, clipped, shod (needed re-shoeing) and wore a very basic turnout rug. We later found out these ponies had been given to a girl by her father to try and tempt her away from the rather bad lifestyle she was leading. She had previously had horses but was now more into drugs. She was old enough to drive so not a young teenager. She would turn up once a day, dump a feed of nuts in front of both of them and leave. The old boy struggled with the nuts so the pony had most of them. They had very little if any hay and there wasn't much grass on the field. At one point the old boy's rug was missing and despite bitterly cold weather he was left without for a couple of days. I could have cried for him but there was nothing I could do. No good calling RSPCA as they had food and water.
The old boy's shoes had to grow off his feet, they were never touched. That summer he picked up a little bit and when winter came he had a rug with a neck so we couldn't judge his weight. Then a big bale of haylage appeared in the field so we thought everything was ok.
The 1st Jan 2010 I came back from a trip to see a potential loan pony to the awful news that he had been found dead that morning. At that point it had been bitterly cold with hard frosts for days. RSCPA were then called and a vet came out from the practice we used. Apparently he was skin and bone and a post mortem done when he thawed out showed that the only thing wrong with him was his teeth hence starvation. The owner hadn't put the haylage in the field, someone connected with the field owner had done that out of the kindness of their heart. Whoever sold that poor old boy was to my mind nearly as guilty as the girl who owned him. She was found guilty of neglect, can't remember what punishment she got but it wouldn't have been adequate.
O how I wish I had not read this post its made me well up

Kat

Visit site
@Winters100 I have to take issue with your comments on riding schools. In England riding school ponies are checked over as part of the licensing so unsound ponies and horses should not be used.

Horses and Ponies are a hugely important assets, part of the team in a riding school, and an owner would be foolish to neglect them. A good reliable horse is difficult to replace and hugely valuable.

The riding school I used to ride at had all of the horses seen regularly by the physio, more regularly than the private horses as they were important and working hard. They were often "retired" by being sold or loaned to private homes when they started to find the riding school workload tough but they would mostly be sound and happy to do all sorts of low level competition as well as hacking for many years.

Mari

Visit site
I have a friend looking for a horse 15-f. Happy to have an older Equine to enjoy a variety of activities at a low level. She’s an experienced novice & can offer a 5* forever home (small private home with 2 retired horses) However a small budget. Where are these cheap older horses?

scruffyponies

Visit site
I have a friend looking for a horse 15-f. Happy to have an older Equine to enjoy a variety of activities at a low level. She’s an experienced novice & can offer a 5* forever home (small private home with 2 retired horses) However a small budget. Where are these cheap older horses?

I'd try a wanted ad on NFED. As this thread demonstrates, people are hesitant to advertise for many reasons.

Winters100

Visit site
I personally have mine for life and have made provision for them in my will should I die before them.

A very important point about animals - making provision in case of your death is essential, as is discussing the matter with the person who you would like to be responsible for them.

Winters100

Visit site

There is a fb group called something like 'retired and ex polo ponies' where my friend got a nice one for hacking. But always worth checking that they will hack alone and be fine alone in the paddock in case their companion needs to be taken out. Mine are all fine with this but they do tend to be kept and exercised in packs, so not all are.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Kat, we were going to but the apparent improvement with a better rug and the haylage lulled us into thinking things were ok. We have bitterly regretted not getting involved since. I lost my own mare to colic in the early hours of the next morning after an all night battle to save her so that period of time is forever etched on my memory.

Winters100

Visit site
@Winters100 I have to take issue with your comments on riding schools. In England riding school ponies are checked over as part of the licensing so unsound ponies and horses should not be used.

Horses and Ponies are a hugely important assets, part of the team in a riding school, and an owner would be foolish to neglect them. A good reliable horse is difficult to replace and hugely valuable.

The riding school I used to ride at had all of the horses seen regularly by the physio, more regularly than the private horses as they were important and working hard. They were often "retired" by being sold or loaned to private homes when they started to find the riding school workload tough but they would mostly be sound and happy to do all sorts of low level competition as well as hacking for many years.

I am sorry that you are offended, clearly you had a good experience of riding schools, which is great. I do not have much first hand experience, but I read a lot of stories here which would lead me to question whether all, or even most, have such high standards. Certainly when I was living in the UK I do not believe that RS standards were high in general - there were several close to where we lived and we would often hear complaints that ponies were over used or left tacked up for hours on end. From comments on this forum this is still a problem. If you know a good one which has the standards which you describe they should be applauded, and I hope that their customers recognise this.

Mari

Visit site
There is a fb group called something like 'retired and ex polo ponies' where my friend got a nice one for hacking. But always worth checking that they will hack alone and be fine alone in the paddock in case their companion needs to be taken out. Mine are all fine with this but they do tend to be kept and exercised in packs, so not all are.
Thank you. I’ll tell her.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
In my mind, if managed correctly, all horses can be ridden well into their late 20s, !

I'm sorry but I think this is wildly optimistic.

In over 40 years of horse keeping, the only ones I've ever met working to their late 20's were small ponies. I have not personally met anyone who has had a larger horse alive to 30, never mind still working.

I was worried that people were beginning to feel like failures for not being able to keep their horses in work into their mid 20's so I did a poll on here a few years back and got ages of death of dozens and dozens of working horses and it averaged out at 15.

Last edited:

Bambelina

Visit site
I'm sorry but I think this is wildly optimistic.

In over 40 years of horse keeping, the only ones I've ever met working to their late 20's were small ponies. I have not personally met anyone who has had a larger horse alive to 30, never mind still working.

I was worried that people were beginning to feel like failures for not being able to keep their horses in work into their mid 20's so I did a poll on here a few years back and got ages of death of dozens and dozens of working horses and it averaged out at 15.

But the original point was older horses being sold. It’s never ideal, we have a 23 year old TB in our field who will never be sold (and is capable of light work but just isn’t ridden which is the owners personal choice, she is happy for her to be ridden if, say, another livery wanted to..) but I do think there is a market for horses in their late teens/early 20s who are ready to slow down but not stop completely!
Of course, someone selling a 30 year old pony with a range of health conditions is, in a lot of cases selfish, but like I said before if I was in the position to buy another horse, I would not immediately turn one down due to it being in it’s late teens, early 20s!