Just shook on a new pony! Gorgeous little diamond in the rough!

Elsiecat

Visit site
I've been after a little summer project and I've just shook on him! I'd say hes about 12.2hh. I think once he's scrubbed up and had a few good meals he'll do cracking at in-hand. Also want my farrier to have a good look at his feet! If all goes well planning to sell him July/August time. Although I can see myself getting far too attached to him.

He's passported 4 but needs muscle and a bloody good groom!

Having him from a man that took pity on him from a big shed of horses going for slaughter. He wasn't what I really wanted but he's got such kind eyes, I couldn't refuse! I have a feeling he'd be an amazing child's pony one day.

Organising for the vet to come and geld him for when he arrives.
Never seen such a bad coat either! He was so easy to handle though.
So excited!!

Not sure about name yet, thinking possibly Bailey?

Elsiecat

Visit site
My mum's friend took a picture, I'll see if I can get hold of it! :D:D

He let me pick his legs up really easy, led perfectly and moved away from my finger. Makes me think somewhere along the way he's been very loved.
Smitten :D:eek:

Elsiecat

Visit site
Working on it! :D

This might sound daft but is there anything to stop me gelding him the day he arrives?

hoggedmane

Visit site
We bought a five year old ungelded welsh/arab pony for a friend's daughter once. He came off the trailer and was gelded that day - poor thing. He had to be kept alone for about a week afterwards so I think really they quicker the better. That was 30 years ago - don't know what current advice is.

Elsiecat

Visit site
73363_4674264536425_547332738_n_zpsdfc49bf7.jpg

Here he is!

Elsiecat

Visit site
We bought a five year old ungelded welsh/arab pony for a friend's daughter once. He came off the trailer and was gelded that day - poor thing. He had to be kept alone for about a week afterwards so I think really they quicker the better. That was 30 years ago - don't know what current advice is.

Didn't think there would be but wasn't sure whether he had to have any sort of monitoring or anything as he is new to me also!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
He's struck lucky. Poor little thing looks like he needs some dinners, his front legs come out of one hole at the minute. He'll look different altogether in a couple of months I'm sure.

Elsiecat

Visit site
He's struck lucky. Poor little thing looks like he needs some dinners, his front legs come out of one hole at the minute. He'll look different altogether in a couple of months I'm sure.

I hope so! Going to give him a few good meals and ad lib forage. He can't get any worse anyway.. always a plus side!:rolleyes:

Elsiecat

Visit site
Ahhh! Just realised he needs his own colour coordinated gear! You know what that means? Online shopping with spare money I don't have :D:D;):rolleyes:

indie999

Visit site
What a sweet pony and I wish I could come and brush him for you..he looks kinda rough!

Before and after pics? Glad he was saved. Good luck with him cute face wanting to be loved!

Racergirl

Visit site
Hes a cutie !!

The only thing that would concern me a bit about gelding him the day he arrives is his weight - you said he needs feeding up ? Maybe have a word with your vets and just have a quick chat about that first, if they are very underweight its not ideal to put them through surgery (albeit standing!)

I do love him though, give him a little bit of time and he will be a cracker Im sure. :)

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
While you have the vet there you might want to do bloods for liver damage, and also a poo sample for a worm count. good luck with him, go easy with hard feed, just keep plenty good forage in front of him.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Thanks for the above suggestions, will follow them up :).
It's hard to tell how he's actually looking under the mountain of caked in mud, all i can really see is how terrible his coat is looking.

doriangrey

Visit site
What a beautiful, little face. I do think you should keep regular posts on here about him, would love to see the transformation. Lucky, little boy :)

Elsiecat

Visit site
Having a nightmare organising transport! Think I've managed to organise something but only on the condition the persons trailer is in good nick when they look at it tomorrow and if they have time. Stressed!!!!

Thanks I'm one proud mum! Will try and do an update once a month or so. Just hope I can do him justice and have him presentable for showing! Hopefully our face will fit and he'll score himself some ribbons! :)