Just thinking could squeeze in another

Ceriann

Visit site
Combination of wfh and hacking much more, would like another that my OH can hack out on with me. He’s coming round to the idea ? but put off by the crazy prices. He’s about 5ft11, 12st and fairly fit, ridden before but a novice so would need something a bit older, forgiving and kind! Would have to be very used to farm traffic and happy to go alone for company. It would probably need to be 15.2+ (or chunky) but other than that open to what is out there. World beaters need not apply! We have plenty of space and with 3 already (two unridden with my ridden mare) company wouldn’t be an issue. Are loan horses like these literally like Dodos?! To get this would we have to buy? If so might wait until winter has hit and see if there are a few more knocking around. Unless anyone has seen something sensibly prices that fits the bill ( seen a few with toppy prices).

Tarragon

Visit site
I wonder whether some of the riding schools that have been hit by the pandemic will be thinking of selling a few of their horses before the winter. It might be a good time to buy!

catembi

Visit site
I am thinking of squeezing in another. I currently have 4 at home, but I have 6 stables & 6 saddle racks... I have a Shetland, a doddery ex-racer, a QH who was about to be brilliant but has PSSM type 1 & 2 & a NF who has tested -ve for PSSM 1 but I strongly suspect 2. I JUST WANT SOMETHING TO RIDE...!!!!!!! I am also putting the v v final touches to the final, post viva submission of my doctorate, so I am shortly going to be bored...and my lorry is sitting there being used for stuff like trips to HomeBase to keep it ticking over...

Aaaaarrrggghhh, 5 is too many...? Someone tell me to wait til spring...

Wishfilly

Visit site
Combination of wfh and hacking much more, would like another that my OH can hack out on with me. He’s coming round to the idea ? but put off by the crazy prices. He’s about 5ft11, 12st and fairly fit, ridden before but a novice so would need something a bit older, forgiving and kind! Would have to be very used to farm traffic and happy to go alone for company. It would probably need to be 15.2+ (or chunky) but other than that open to what is out there. World beaters need not apply! We have plenty of space and with 3 already (two unridden with my ridden mare) company wouldn’t be an issue. Are loan horses like these literally like Dodos?! To get this would we have to buy? If so might wait until winter has hit and see if there are a few more knocking around. Unless anyone has seen something sensibly prices that fits the bill ( seen a few with toppy prices).

Actually, I think if you were willing to take on an older horse just to hack, then you might well find something. To buy, you would probably pay over the odds, even if it was older.

I would seriously consider putting up a wanted ad, just to see if anyone is looking to loan out a horse like this!

Ceriann

Visit site
I am thinking of squeezing in another. I currently have 4 at home, but I have 6 stables & 6 saddle racks... I have a Shetland, a doddery ex-racer, a QH who was about to be brilliant but has PSSM type 1 & 2 & a NF who has tested -ve for PSSM 1 but I strongly suspect 2. I JUST WANT SOMETHING TO RIDE...!!!!!!! I am also putting the v v final touches to the final, post viva submission of my doctorate, so I am shortly going to be bored...and my lorry is sitting there being used for stuff like trips to HomeBase to keep it ticking over...

I’m trying to convince myself I’d be ok with 4 so I’m definitely not going to help. Two unridden and ridden one has limitations following an injury so know how you feel.

teddypops

Visit site

I have 8 ?

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I wonder whether some of the riding schools that have been hit by the pandemic will be thinking of selling a few of their horses before the winter. It might be a good time to buy!

Thats how we got my daughters new pony, RS selling off all but the core ponies. Prices are high though, she wasn't a crazy price but certainly not cheap.

Bernster

Visit site
Lawks, I’m now at 3! I always thought loan horses were just impossible to find and never really considered it. However, I find myself in the fortunate position of having done just that and have a very smart loan horse with an option to buy. If she turns out how I’m hoping she might be one for OH to ride too. He’s also expressed an interest, and is in a similar position to yours OP.

So yes def worth checking out, posting a wanted ad and asking around. I was looking to buy but things turned out that it worked better for me and the owner this way, but largely I think as there was a mutual friend (a hho’er!) so the owner felt more comfortable letting her go on loan.

Ceriann

Visit site
Lawks, I’m now at 3! I always thought loan horses were just impossible to find and never really considered it. However, I find myself in the fortunate position of having done just that and have a very smart loan horse with an option to buy. If she turns out how I’m hoping she might be one for OH to ride too. He’s also expressed an interest, and is in a similar position to yours OP.

So yes def worth checking out, posting a wanted ad and asking around. I was looking to buy but things turned out that it worked better for me and the owner this way, but largely I think as there was a mutual friend (a hho’er!) so the owner felt more comfortable letting her go on loan.
So you found yours as a LWVTB ad? I am now quite jealous! I think what’s really triggered it is a couple who’ve rented a yard locally and they hack out round us. Hope you have fun with number 3!

Bernster

Visit site
So you found yours as a LWVTB ad? I am now quite jealous! I think what’s really triggered it is a couple who’ve rented a yard locally and they hack out round us. Hope you have fun with number 3!

Thx. She was up for sale but things worked out better for me and the owner to agree the lwvtb instead. An unusual set of circs but the personal connection really helped so do ask around if you have a horsey network, or try a wanted ad.

Trouper

Visit site
Do have a look at the charities - quiet hacking may be just up the street for some of their horses and you won't lose anything by telling them exactly what you are looking for.