Juvenile arthritis in dogs

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
So the labxcollie has just been diagnosed with juvenile arthritis.

All the bloods, joint taps and the radiographs have come back clear but she is still running a fever 80% of the time and can't go for longer than 30 minutes walks with a bit off lead at a time or she gets very stiff, tired, grumpy and goans alot as she moves.

Plants six months of steroids and see how she goes.
She is only 19 months old :(

Anyone had any dealings with this?

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Not had experience of arthritis in younger dogs, but many people have had great results from adding turmeric/coconut oil and ground pepper (golden paste - google it and you should find a recipe with exact quantities). The coconut oil needs to be the 'extra virgin organic' type - I buy 'Lucy Bees' from Sainsbury's and Tescos do a similar quality product, it's approx £5 for a jar, and the turmeric - again the better quality you can get the better, I buy from Cotsherb via their website. It is good for a lot of different things and I've heard of dogs, horses and people who have improved lives because of this Golden Paste. Worth a try and no side effects, I know what steroids can be like for dogs, my mum's lurcher was on them for 6 months and did not feel great on them. Worth a try anyway. Good luck.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Thanks she won't eat it.
A friend made me up some golden paste and she looked at it like it was poison :/
She can't be picking with food.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
One of mine was like that at first. It is an acquired taste - he now loves it. I'd try introducing very gradually to something extra tasty. Mine are fed raw so tripe - minced I buy it frozen and defrost but when it is warmed slightly it stinks ,so most dogs don't notice. The other thing I did at first was make bite size sausagemeat treats with a little turmeric, building up the ratios and also livercake. Just experiment, it REALLY is worth it - my 10 year old dog who was stiff and did not improve on metacam, is never stiff and I chuck lots of golden paste in his food but it is the only supplement he ALWAYS has. Never use any of the painkillers the vets suggest with their nasty long term side effects. He had arthritic changes to the elbow 3 years ago and he still competes in agility. There used to be a 'turmeric users group' on facebook, probably still is. There are lots of case histories and ideas for fussy eaters. People manage to get it into fussy horses and the quantities they need are somewhat larger than dogs so that encouraged me to keep trying. My other dog is a little piglet and will eat it straight off the spoon given the chance!