Katie Jarram's Comment re hats

kirstyfk

Visit site
I wonder if anyone will take any notice of it. (personally I don't think they will)

I really don't see why wearing a hat is such a big deal to some people. I know a couple of people who would not be here today had they not a proper hat on.

I was watching some showing class today and to be honest I think a hat with a harness looks smarter than a beagler.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Don't know about the comment, but personally I don't know why people are allowed to wear hats that meet no safety standard and have no harness.

Makes no sense imho
crazy.gif

kirstyfk

Visit site
In her article in H&H she was writing about her fall at Suffolk and she was grateful that Suffolk make all competitors wear a hat with a harness. She was also saying that SJers undoing their harness as soon as they finish their round! (It also annoys me that postmen do not do up their cycle helmets, what is the point of even wearing!) And at FEI SJers do not need to wear a hat to warm up.

jumptoit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
In her article in H&H she was writing about her fall at Suffolk and she was grateful that Suffolk make all competitors wear a hat with a harness. She was also saying that SJers undoing their harness as soon as they finish their round! (It also annoys me that postmen do not do up their cycle helmets, what is the point of even wearing!) And at FEI SJers do not need to wear a hat to warm up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never seen a postman on a bike before
blush.gif

I agree I think hats should be compulsory for anyone on a horse, but until they are forced to do so, I can't see it happening.

cavalo branco

Visit site
Yes, personally I'd ban beagler hats in all disciplines including hunting - I can't see why anyone should think they somehow look cool - come to A&E and see how cool a severe head injury looks
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

Pasha

Visit site
I used to always wear my beagler - I do prefer them and was only planning on wearing my proper hat at my first few shows with the new boy, but to be honest these recent accidents in the news have made me have a rethink and i'll be wearing the proper one from now on (apart from when I have to wear a top hat - no solution for that)!

Goya

Visit site
I so agree. I have commented on a post above about a WFP lesson where there is a pic of WFP riding without a hat at all.
We are hearing more and more about riding accidents these days and I have experience of how brain damage effects people. It worries me so much at this "cavalier" attitude to wearing hats.

SSM

Visit site
I actually doubt my beagler would come off in a fall, it is very tight! However with Buck I do wear a harnessed hat as he is a baby.

Would hate to see top hats taken out of evening performances though
frown.gif

ironhorse

Visit site
Not a big fan of beaglers - I'm quite dismayed that a couple of friends who have just started BD (P &N !) wear them 'to look the part' . Turnout - as long as smart - should not be a factor in dressage. Showing is a bit more difficult as it is so steeped in tradition - but the Charles Owen HC2000 with harness looks gorgeous - I love wearing mine for english showing classes.
However. I do fall into the hypocrite category as I wear a stetson for western classes (I justify in my mind by saying that I would revert to the hard hat on a horse that I did not feel completely safe on!)