KBIS Insurance

Redders

Visit site
Hi all, looking for insurance for my girl, have a good quote from KBIS with everything I need, just wondered if anyone chad any feedback from this company for me? I don't want to pay every month to find they won't pay out to me when we need it!!

Thank you in advance

Notimetoride

Visit site
I have always been with them. Had 2 claims and paid up no problem. Only grumble is that if the horse so much as sneezes, they put a flipping exclusion on the policy. So you could end up (depending on how many times you claim) with only, for example, having the left ear that is actually covered !! Mine once got a hawthorn in his coronary band. It meant a vets visit to remove it, clean it and give him jabs. It was nothing nasty, but did need a vet to deal. Obviously never had any repercussions from it. However, that foot was excluded from any future claims. I tried every year to get that exclusion lifted, but they wouldnt. TBH i ma actually a bit disheartened with horse insurance full stop, and wonder if self insuring is better. Though saying that, that really only applies to the veterinary element of the policy, as you really cant self-insure against TP liability for example. So all in all, KBIS are fine.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
A happy customer here. Easy to deal with, have paid up twice for mine with no question. Vets are happy to deal with them. I went with KBIS following good feedback from a friend.

Redders

Visit site
I was a bit concerned about exclusions, and yes, I did actually think it was pointless so was just going to out money away or similar but a friend has had an awful accident with her horse, just from being in field and has put the willies up me as the fees rocket in such a short space of time!! There isn't much in the price for amtrust and KBIS but I guess all the companies will exclude whatever they can get away with!!

GLW

Visit site
They're great. Lovely to deal with and never had any problem with my (numerous!) claims. They pay quickly and can either pay your vet direct or send you a cheque. Their exclusions are reasonable (i.e. "anything resulting directly or indirectly from [incident]" rather than "left foreleg") and my premiums haven't increased too much despite a number of claims.
I will say though that my claims have all been accidents (a kick, a fall, a broken tooth) save for one incident of tying up, so I don't know whether they would be more difficult with mystery lameness or illness.

Notimetoride

Visit site
With me they excluded any claims for the hoof that was affected by the hawthorn. I thought that was v unreasonable of them. Also, i recently lost my horse, and on the phone when i called to cancel the policy (in floods of tears) they asked if i was going to claim for mortality. I wasnt sure, and they said the only stipulation was that the horse was pts according to BEVA guidelines, which of course he was. So they sent me the forms, and oooooooh my goodness me - the questions !! Seriously, they were daft. They asked for every date under the sun, date the incident occurred, date and time it was first discovered, date and time vet first attended etc etc etc. He was actually pts due to an ongoing problem and I absolutely couldnt answer the questions - it was impossible. So decided not to claim. Not sure if the form is designed to put people off, but it certainly put me off. At a very distressing time, i cant lie, that darned form made me feel a whole lot worse and just gave up on the whole thing, binned the form and told KBIS i wasnt claiming. Just wanted to forget it. I wasnt impressed. Yes he was pts according to BEVA guidelines, but the situation/circs didnt neatly fit in the box. So i lost out :-(
Would that have been the same with other companies ? Perhaps . . . .

soulfull

Visit site
South Essex are great. Very reasonable with exclusions too. My last horse had a respiratory infection but they didn't exclude anything. I even called to Che know and they said no it is correct,, it as a virus so nothing to exclude

Always paid out well. Even when I lost my other horse.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
I have always been with them. Had 2 claims and paid up no problem. Only grumble is that if the horse so much as sneezes, they put a flipping exclusion on the policy. So you could end up (depending on how many times you claim) with only, for example, having the left ear that is actually covered !! Mine once got a hawthorn in his coronary band. It meant a vets visit to remove it, clean it and give him jabs. It was nothing nasty, but did need a vet to deal. Obviously never had any repercussions from it. However, that foot was excluded from any future claims. I tried every year to get that exclusion lifted, but they wouldnt. TBH i ma actually a bit disheartened with horse insurance full stop, and wonder if self insuring is better. Though saying that, that really only applies to the veterinary element of the policy, as you really cant self-insure against TP liability for example. So all in all, KBIS are fine.

Agree with this..mine had a sacroliliac injury, now all hind leg probs are excluded so not sure if I will stay with them. They did pay up promptly and efficiently o n my claim though.

Louby

Visit site
I swapped from KBIS to Scottish Equestrian after a problem claiming, Id been wiith NFU for years and never had a problem but they just got too expensive so I was shocked when they wouldnt pay out for my horse to be PTS, despite vet saying it was the most humane thing to do and they quibbled over the vets fees, told me to treat it like I wasnt insured??? which I did, then after he ws PTS said they would have paid vets fees. It wasnt straight forward, there was an exclusion but one advisor told me after 7 years it should have been removed but then was told different by another person I spoke to, so I really didnt know if I was covered or not :(

kaiserchief

Visit site
KBIS are brilliant, I've used them for years (and have put through a couple of claims) and have no complaints :)

I have Kai insured with them on a plan with my vets (Bushy Equine) which means he has to have a health check every year at renewal, and on the occasions when the vet has recommended the removal of an exclusion, based on the health check, they have never quibbled and always removed it.

Elbie

Visit site
I don't want to pay every month to find they won't pay out to me when we need it!!

I say this on pretty much every insurance thread. Make sure you read the terms and conditions - FULLY!

If they don't pay out, it will normally be because of a clause in the terms and conditions. When you pay your premium you are agreeing to those terms so make sure you are happy with them first!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi all, looking for insurance for my girl, have a good quote from KBIS with everything I need, just wondered if anyone chad any feedback from this company for me? I don't want to pay every month to find they won't pay out to me when we need it!!

Thank you in advance

Nearly swapped to Kbis from my original - hubby read it through inch by inch and said there were so many exclusions in Small print that were not covered we decided not too.

gunnergundog

Visit site
As I have written before, have never been able to fault KBIS for paying out in a timely manner, but crikey, they are the master of the exclusion clause. As mentioned above, I ended up with two pages of detailed exclusion clauses..........horse then retired to hunting field and did seven seasons without issue.

be positive

Visit site
KBIS are brilliant, I've used them for years (and have put through a couple of claims) and have no complaints :)

I have Kai insured with them on a plan with my vets (Bushy Equine) which means he has to have a health check every year at renewal, and on the occasions when the vet has recommended the removal of an exclusion, based on the health check, they have never quibbled and always removed it.

What a sensible idea, something like this may be the way forward for all equine insurance, by having a check both sides are covered and it gives the opportunity for exclusions to be lifted if appropriate. It would be easy to tie in with annual vaccinations to keep the cost down.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
KBIS do pay out but when you come to renew your insurance I will guarantee that there will be an exclusion added. I had to fight to get ex clusions removed from my policy as they had come from nowhere! One I had no knowledge of the injury whatsoever & a couple of others were put on following treatment for what tyrned out to be minor injuries that had no lasting effect & would not re occur.

I honestly think they are far too ready to slap on exclusions for slight injuries that have no lasting issues & are not an illness that will recurr.

I've paid a fortune out over the years for insurance & when I have needed a vet the vet bill has normally fallen within the excess amount so I have not claimed. I have now decided that I will not bother with insurance, I will put what I pay in insurance away in an account & pay for serious injuries/illnesses out of that. If I need more cash then I have other monies I can access. Obviously this decision is not for everyone, not everyone is in a position to afford to payout but this is the way I'm going to go.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
KBIS are excellent, must have been with them 15 years or more by now and never had a problem with them paying for either vet fees or death although it's only the eventer I have with vet cover now. I pay insurance to give me a return if I should lose the horse so I can go out and buy another if I want otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford another; might sound too cold hearted for some of you but that's the way my world has to work I'm afraid.

Just note that if you do pay monthly and have to claim for mortality then like all other companies they will insist you pay the full year premium before they will pay out; one reason why I always pay the full year up front, it's one less hassle to deal with at the time.
If anything happens, you have to be practical and not just curl up in tears however much you feel like it especially if you do need that policy money to fund another horse. The forms aren't difficult to fill in to answer their questions (hopefully you all have the sense to keep diaries of any injuries or illnesses to refer to, not just your memory) plus you can take your time to do them (within their time constraints) so there's no reason not to claim and lose not only your premium but your future new horse and let's face it, sooner or later, most people do want another to replace the one they've lost.

Like all insurance, be practical about it. I can't fault KBIS at all.

Notimetoride

Visit site
KBIS are excellent, must have been with them 15 years or more by now and never had a problem with them paying for either vet fees or death although it's only the eventer I have with vet cover now. I pay insurance to give me a return if I should lose the horse so I can go out and buy another if I want otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford another; might sound too cold hearted for some of you but that's the way my world has to work I'm afraid.

Just note that if you do pay monthly and have to claim for mortality then like all other companies they will insist you pay the full year premium before they will pay out; one reason why I always pay the full year up front, it's one less hassle to deal with at the time.
If anything happens, you have to be practical and not just curl up in tears however much you feel like it especially if you do need that policy money to fund another horse. The forms aren't difficult to fill in to answer their questions (hopefully you all have the sense to keep diaries of any injuries or illnesses to refer to, not just your memory) plus you can take your time to do them (within their time constraints) so there's no reason not to claim and lose not only your premium but your future new horse and let's face it, sooner or later, most people do want another to replace the one they've lost.

Like all insurance, be practical about it. I can't fault KBIS at all.

I do hope that wasn't aimed at anyone it particular.
I am perfectly able to fill in forms - went to uni and spent years as a loss adjuster (not equine I have to admit).
Had horses for over 30 years, and they have always been my pets who I have loved dearly - hence curling up in tears when I lost mine.
And finally , it was a mutual decision between ourselves and the vet to euthanase. It was unfair on all parties to keep the horse going, after 5 years of battling various issues and just not making any headway. Hence, the form simply didnt 'fit' my circumstances. Not everything is black and white . . . . .