Keep up the backside needed .Which horse should I take to camp ?

Asha

Visit site
My plan was to go in September and take my 4 yo. Who by then would have mileage on the clock and would have done a couple of events. However,a place came on the camp for Begininning of May, so took it as well. Booked on with my 4yo for all the beginners classes. But I'm having a wobble, so looking at the others we have instead. This camp was really about setting me up for the year ahead and giving me some confidence to crack on. Really wanted to get something out of it.
All been going well with my 4 yo, just the other day at home she felt a little fresh, and it suddenly brought home it might be too much for her ( and me !)

So my choices are :

1. Asha, 18 yo (4yo mum) back in work and loving it, but wasn't quite right the other day, vet recommends shoes on hind feet. All being well she will be ok. She's only up for a bit of light work these day, so baby classes would suit. I'd be very comfortable with her, but wouldn't get anything out of camp, other than having a laugh !

2. Daughters horse , took him last year he's ace. A good all rounder that I would be comfortable on, and wouldn't worry about it being too much for him. But he's my daughters horse, and I'd feel guilty taking him, as she can't get a space. Wouldn't get anything out of the baby classes with him. Again just an easy horse, but would have a laugh

3. My 7yo hombred I took him as a 4 yo and he was ace. However, he's big and strong now, and I had a nasty accident on him as a 5 yo, and haven't ridden him much since. He is behaving, and would really enjoy the camp. But I'd be a bit nervous. I wish I had the nerve to ride him again, when he's ridden he does look fab and behaves impeccably. Baby classes on him would be ideal to my confidence back. He is currently competed by a pro at newcomers level. i think he'd benefit from a change of scenery.

4. My 4 yo. The chap who schools her reckons it would be great experience, and to do just small amounts in the classes, so she's not over tired. He reckons she's a sensible sort who would benefit. I'm just a little concerned it's just a couple of months too soon, and leave her until September. She is my horse for the future, as her mum is almost ready to retire. All I've done is walk , trot and hack. She has cantered and jumped with the pro, and took it all in her stride.

in your opinion, who should I take , who would you take?

Cheers x

indiat

Visit site
I am hovering between 3 and 4. Sounds like your 4 yo would have fun and benefit, but if you REALLY want to get back on your 7 yo, the camp might give you the supportive environment to help you get over your nerves. If you don't get over this hump another year might go buy without you riding him. So 3 - if you feel up to it. Because I think it sounds as if it will be a huge achievement all round for both you and the horse.

Wheels

Visit site
First world problems eh? Lol

You're lucky to have so many options but I would take the 4yo, great experience and the chance for her to really settle over the few days

Asha

Visit site
I am hovering between 3 and 4. Sounds like your 4 yo would have fun and benefit, but if you REALLY want to get back on your 7 yo, the camp might give you the supportive environment to help you get over your nerves. If you don't get over this hump another year might go buy without you riding him. So 3 - if you feel up to it. Because I think it sounds as if it will be a huge achievement all round for both you and the horse.

It would be a huge achievement, the accident was out hacking, and I probably caused it I'm honest . He was scared of something, I forced the issue and he reared, I've never sat to a rear, and brought over onto me. Luckily I landed in some nettles and not on the road. He's never done it since and He's never done anything in the arena with me.
First world problems eh? Lol

You're lucky to have so many options but I would take the 4yo, great experience and the chance for her to really settle over the few days

Haha yes I'm full of deep and meaningful problems. Thanks

Asha

Visit site
Why not give the place to your daughter so she can take her horse

I can't do that, as I'm going with a friend, and we are camping in my box. Not sure she'd appreciate my daughters company. My 19 year old daughter doesn't drink !

skint1

Visit site
Could you take your daughter's horse and then she could maybe ride one of your others whilst you're at camp?

hypopit

Visit site
Take the 7 year old, if you feel in your gut the 4 year old may not be ready then I would not take her, i would wait until September. If the 7 year old turns out well you will feel so pleased with your self that you overcame your fear with him and you will be on the road back to enjoying him full time. It will all be a great distraction for both of you and I'm sure you will both enjoy it.

Asha

Visit site
Could you take your daughter's horse and then she could maybe ride one of your others whilst you're at camp?

That's the sensible option, and one my hubby would agree with !

I would take 3. or 4. its a beginners camp, its what the type of horsers they're aimed at.

Take the 7 year old, if you feel in your gut the 4 year old may not be ready then I would not take her, i would wait until September. If the 7 year old turns out well you will feel so pleased with your self that you overcame your fear with him and you will be on the road back to enjoying him full time. It will all be a great distraction for both of you and I'm sure you will both enjoy it.

Thank you. I do look at him in the stable and feel he needs a more rounded life, and wish I had the bottle to do it. You are right. Harry it is .

JJS

Visit site
I also think that taking Harry would be more beneficial than taking any of the others. Have fun at camp!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would take the 7yr old otherwise why bother having him at all. You sound like you need pushed into getting your nerve back on him and this could be an ideal chance.

Asha

Visit site
I would take the 7yr old otherwise why bother having him at all. You sound like you need pushed into getting your nerve back on him and this could be an ideal chance.

You are spot on. Just the talking to I needed.
Definitely Harry. I've just come back from a lovely camp, you'll have a ball.
thank you, looking forward to it now.

I would take the 7 yo as well, sounds like you would get the benefit - let the 4 yo grow up and take in September.
thanks, agree, there's no rush with the 4 yo.