Keeping a grazing muzzle on

shadowboy

Visit site
How do you do it? My fattie can get his off in a variety of ways usually within an hour of it going on. He undoes the velcro quick release but and the muzzle then just drops off. I've tried vet wrapping it up so he can rub the velco apart but it would still come apart in the event of an emergency- will see if its still on whn I get in from work.

Are some designs more effective than others- we have the kincade version (bucket style)

is the greengurd one better or any of the other bucket styles?

Sophstar

Visit site
Can you not plait his mane over the headpieve into the forelock? I do this with my pony who pulls anything off within an hour...he has a greenguard but he didnt manage to get it off once last year!

tinap

Visit site
I used a bucket style & the only way he would keep it on was if I plaited his forelock with some hair over & some under the headpiece part (if you know what I mean!!) xx

Goponygo

New User
Visit site
As the owner of a pony who can completely destroy a muzzle within the space of an hour - whether it has been plaited to her head, headcollar over the top etc etc - I am very interested to hear any suggestions :D:D

Molasses

Visit site
I use the bucket type (the cloth or rubber ones just get shredded in a matter of hours:rolleyes:) I plait the headpiece in and have a DIY throatlatch made out twine (i stred the twine a little to weaken it so it will break in emergency) so far this is the only thing that works:rolleyes:

threeponies

Visit site
My mare wears a Greenguard on a well-fitting headcollar and despite trying very, very hard she cannot remove it. It came off once when my OH put it on because he didn't lay her mane flat under the headpiece (lots of hair Highland :) )

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Im afraid mine has the muzzle on with a headcollar over the top. Field has absolutely nothing for her to catch herself on tho (7 foot high horsemesh, no trees, no shelters, just a water bucket (she is in at night), wouldnt recommend it in most fields but works for us. Fieldsafe collars she breaks within 15 mins.

As she has had lami it's deadly serious to keep it on at this time of year.

Sticker

Visit site
We have given up on muzzles.

The greenguard didn't work for ours, as they just pushed the mouthpiece over to one side and ate around it. Any tighter and it was really pushing up against & rubbing their lips.

Personally I don't like plaiting into the mane - if they're that determined to get it off, I'd worry about the potential for injury.

We've reverted to strip grazing for the last couple of years, on a track system, which seems to be the best solution for us.

Feel for you OP - managing fatties is not a lot of fun!

shadowboy

Visit site
Hmm not sure if its worth splurging on a greenguard then.... its not the over head issue its the quick release velcro he rubs open... annoying pony!