keeping a horse and 2 ponies on 2.7 acres

Potato!

Visit site
Hi just wondering what the practicalities of keeping a 16h gelding an 12.2 exmoor and a 12h moorland type pony on 2.7acres, All are very good doers on restricted grazing over the summer. But I only have 1 stable for the 16h horse. The other two would be fenced in a smaller area over night in the winter with trees for a shelter next to the stable in the winter. Is it doable?

3Beasties

Visit site
Will they have a different field for spring/summer?

It might not be perfect but I think it will be doable as long as you are prepared to feed hay if there is a shortage of grass.

Just be careful about fencing the ponies under the trees as they won't be able to get out of the way if a tree comes down.

touchstone

Visit site
I've kept two fourteen hands ponies on just under an acre successfully. The secret is rotating and resting grazing where possible and building a turnout area (we used road planings) to pen them in if necessary, as well as providing plenty of hay. You could always make a makeshift 2 or 3 sided windbreak with large straw bales and bed an area down for the ponies if needed.

I also prefer them to have the whole of the area over winter when turned out as the poaching is less intensive than if they are in a small wet paddock.

Potato!

Visit site
no it will be that field all year but i would section it off into 3 sections plus the area plus the night time bit, im talking is approx 30ft\20ft the area from the gate to the stable and the trees all younder trees are on the other side of the fence for them overnight. the night time area is mostly hardcore ( with areas of grass etc for them to lie down) and the feild is a very dry field even in the wettest of winters

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I would want to make the corral area for the ponies big enough for the 16hh too. Then you can use it as an all weather turn out (with hay feeder, water trough, hard standing etc...) if the land can't cope in the winter.

I used to keep my 14.1 pony with a 15.2hh on 2.8 acres with stables and a large yard that we could keep them in when it was really wet. We had to rent extra land from a local farmer each spring (for 2 months) to let the field recover.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think you could manage it I have just over 3 acres for two horses and I find its enough, I split my large field in spring and rotate it so each half gets a rest then in winter I often give them the whole lot round until spring again, I have a small field that I only use when very dry so most of winter its rested as it gets too wet, it works well for me as one of mine has to have restricted grazing.

Potato!

Visit site
My plan is to have them on the whole lot over the winter during the day and overnight the 16h hunter in his stable and the two ponies in the smaller area with shelter of all the threes and the side of the stable with hay and water. then in the spring i would paln on sectioning the field off into smaller areas as all three need restricted grazing. i dont mind feeding addtional hay if needs be.