Keeping a spelling horse settled with light work

TheFarmIsFull

Visit site
Has anyone here kept a spelling horse in light sporadic work to keep it settled. For example a lunge every 3 or 4 days to just let them blow off some steam without actually “working”.
I have turned out a young horse for 2 months to strengthen up and put on some extra condition however she craves work and attention and if she has any more than 2 or 3 days off she starts to get a bit feral and will run around the paddock being a nuisance so I thought about doing the above to just help keep her a bit relaxed in the paddock but I also don’t want to be “undoing” the holiday.
* when in work she doesn’t care too much for friends but on holiday she starts getting matey. I think it’s FOMO. She genuinely loves work and people.
* she’s always been turned out 24/7 so she’s used to that.
* Keeping her in work is not an option, I’d really like her to let down and I have a busy few months ahead.

TheFarmIsFull

Visit site
If I had a horse that really mentally craved work, I'd be inclined to do some ground work. Mental stuff like trick training too. I'd also consider hand walks and long lining.
I have been doing so much of this over the past 6 months, even though she has now gone on holiday she’s still handled each day for cover changes and grooms if the weathers ok.

TheFarmIsFull

Visit site
If she's on a break, grit your teeth for at least a week to 10 days or more to let her settle properly.
It's breaking the habit.
I did think of doing this but im
Worried she will do something stupid or hurt herself. I have always sent my horses away for a holiday and I don’t have to manage them but not anymore.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
For example a lunge every 3 or 4 days to just let them blow off some steam without actually “working”.

I think lunging is very hard work for them. Why is the horse resting? If it's for a physical injury there is no way I would lunge. I would take her out on walks in hand .

If the horse is not resting because it is injured I would stop the holiday and keep her in light work.

Kahlua

Visit site
Is that a common phrase? Not heard it before?
It’s used a lot in Australia.

OP don’t lunge - the risk of causing injury if not resting because injured is too high. Hand walk, ground work or ignore if you can until the habit it broken.

TheFarmIsFull

Visit site
Thank you all. I will try and break the habit. She is on holiday to strengthen up and put on condition over winter. We are going to be flat out over the next 2 months with calves and lambs so it’s good timing. She has done some good work and education over the past 6/7 months. I did consider sending her away to continue working but she is young and could really benefit from some time off.