Keeping colts entire

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
for those of you who keep colts entire, what made you make that decision? I'm not talking about how they're kept etc, but conf/breeding, the 'x' factor, etc. just curious as on the other thread someone said they'd 2 colts left entire, the nicer one didn't turn out as stallion material or at least not as much as the other who wasn't as impressive at the start. As someone once said to me, you can't put them back once they're gone.

NicolaC

Visit site
I have left my Section A entire. I bought him to be kept entire as he has got very good bloodlines along with him being Cremello and he dosen't carry the grey gene. There are not many Cremello A's standing at stud but if he dosen't make the grade he will be gelded and sold as a lead rein pony.

Enfys

Visit site
I sell my papered colts as entires unless a buyer specifies they want them gelded.

Unpapered 'flippers' are gelded as I don't want to encourage breeding from unknown stock (which is how they came about in the first place) I buy colts that will make 14.2h maximum, they are destined for the riding market and by castrating I reckon I am doing them a favour.

Any colt, papered or not, would get his goolies chopped off if he displayed an uncertain temperament, fortunately none of my homebreds have been anything but horizontal thus far.

LynneB

Visit site
for those of you who keep colts entire, what made you make that decision? I'm not talking about how they're kept etc, but conf/breeding, the 'x' factor, etc. just curious as on the other thread someone said they'd 2 colts left entire, the nicer one didn't turn out as stallion material or at least not as much as the other who wasn't as impressive at the start. As someone once said to me, you can't put them back once they're gone.

that was me. I kept my now 2 year old entire - even when he was a yearling and not looking particularly special - as he was a beautiful foal, has very good breeding and well put together - fortunately he also has a superb temperament, so I am very glad I did.

with the two yearling currently there is indeed a bit of a swap going on, they were both beautiful foals and again with good breeding but they all grow at different rates and Cruise is going to be huge so currently looks like a gangly teen whereas Junior is more chunky both again have good temperaments. that is the one thing I would geld for without a problem before they were 2 or 3, after that it comes down to whether they will be stallion quality. Unless they were both plain janes at birth, or did not have good breeding (but then why breed if they don't) then they would have been gelded at 6 months.

So many of the top stallions were almost gelded - Stolensilver has a wonderful amount of information on this - that is is nice to see them through to 3 if possible.