keeping fit through the winter...........

TinselRider

www.gatesequestrian.webs.com
I'm finding it really hard to keep madam fit this winter, I'm at college 4 days a week so she has these days of because by the time I get home its pitch black and our school has no floodlights.
Seriously on a major guilt trip right now as she's only getting worked 3 days a week for half hour to 1 hr.

any suggestions?? (moving yards not an option )

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You won't be the only one in this situation at this time of year. Have you got transport? & is there a yard near where you can rent a floodlit menage or arena? Possibly, have you got a friend that could go to the yard during the day to exercise your horse for you?

That's about all I can think of really, if none of the above can be done you'll just have to do the best you cvan to keep your horse ticking over throughout the winter until the lighternights come.
frown.gif

TinselRider

www.gatesequestrian.webs.com
there is a yard near (ish ) to us but they seem to be taking advantage of people in my situation by charging £60 an hour for an outdoor school !

I think it'll just have to be a good half hour of hard work in the small school to keep her ticking.....maybe some 15 min power walks along the road on an outline ???

Just been on a guilt trip as quite a few people have been passing less than friendly comments
crazy.gif

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I'm in the same boat and was last winter too, my girl was fine and stayed quite fit. It does make you feel guilty but work/college have to be done, bring back the summer quick!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You're dead right about that school mtaking advantage...taking the p**s is more like it. Up here an hour at a good venue in a 60 x 60 menage with a rubber/sand surface & a compete set of jumps costs £25 & you can always share the cost with another rider. There must be somewhere else for you to go to?
frown.gif

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
I tend to get a sharer/rider to help me over the winter (i enjoy sharing horses though) Would solve half my troubles at the moment but hes just backed so doubt there be to many game!

£60!!
shocked.gif
You must be joking! £10-30 is about right!

Any chance of geny to power some lights in your school?

TGM

Visit site
Do you need to keep her really fit? Are you competing or hunting? If she has plenty of turnout and you are not wanting to do strenuous competition work then you probably don't have a real problem!

Theresa_F

Visit site
£60!!!!

Our indoor schools rents out at £10 a hour to non liveries. I would look for other places near to you that rent out more realistically, try sharing with a couple of other people to keep the cost even cheaper.

happihorse

Visit site
I work full time and school my horse five days a week. On work days I get up an hour earlier than normal and ride before work (after mucking out) when it is light, have a quick shower and go to work. I alway feel better at work for having exercised my horse beforehand.