Keeping horse fit when you can't ride

Jingleballs

Visit site
Is it really possible?

I'm 25 weeks pregnant and for various reason had to stop riding last weekend.

I have a chunky cob who puts weight on at the sight of a blade of grass so I'm a bit concerned about how I can manage this over the next few months.

I do have a sharer who rides twice a week but she's moving away next week and unfortunately I'm moving yards shortly so wouldn't be able to get a new sharer until we move which is late October.

I can't afford to pay someone to ride him and while I'm happy to lunge a couple of times a week that's not going to be enough. I did think of long lining him out on hacks but it depends how I'm feeling - some days I'm fine, others I'm shattered any my back is killing me so going up to groom him is a real effort.

Is there anything else I can do? I'm thinking of asking around the yard to see if I can find someone looking for a ride a couple of times a week short term but there are a lot of people there that I wouldn't want sitting on my horse so choices are limited.

Or do I just accept that he'll be a field ornament until January and accept it for what it is? He'll live out until October and is in a fatty field so he won't become dangerously fat - just a bit chubby and unfit!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Congratulations on the baby,
can you look for another sharer. I do pay for someone to ride mine, it is a struggle but so worth it. Whatever you do I hope it works out for you,

Nutsaboutnags

Visit site
I read some v interesting research that showed a horse that was out 24/7 not working maintained the same level of fitness as a stabled horse that was professionally schooled daily.... Think it was in Your Horse or similar.... I would consider turning him away, I know what pregnancy can be like 😐

Serephin

Visit site
I would turn him out. I was lucky and was riding up to 37 weeks. My baby is now 7 weeks old and I am back riding again, but only sporadically. I have a chunky cob too and he has put on a bit of weight, but even just riding him a handful of times has already started to make a difference.

Tnavas

Visit site
I shouldn't worry too much, the guality is dropping off in the grass now and so long as you don't feed any extras he should be fine until you move to your new yard.

You could still advertise for a new sharer, just ensure that they will still be able to get to the new yard.

Congratulations about baby, and look after yourself and baby's welfare first. My niece has gone past her dangerous time, one lost at 24weeks and the second survived after being born at 24weeks.

Lunging and long reining are not ideal!

Just try to have him in a paddock with very short grass. I've managed to keep my girls weight just right like this - Clydesdale fatty

Jingleballs

Visit site
Thanks all - I feel fine lunging him - and the walking about often helps my back. I was riding up until last weekend and felt great but had a fall on the road so OH has grounded me and it is the sensible thing to do - horse is a dope on a rope and totally not his fault but not worth the risk.

I think I'll just give him a holiday for a couple of months - he's not had one in a while - just means I have a task ahead of me when it comes to riding again as he does lose fitness easily unfortunately!

Moomin1

Visit site
I am 7 months pregnant and I stopped riding at 3 mths gone. I have my instructor ride my mare three times a week, and I lunge twice a week. It's worked really well as my instructor has brought her on no end, I trust him, and I have still had involvement as much as I can with lunging her.

Don't forget as well that your core strength will have gone when you give birth, so if you are bringing an unfit horse back into work it's going too be a lot harder for you. If I were you I would try to keep him exercised where possible.

Dexydoodle

Visit site
totally different reasons but im in a similar dilemma having just massively injured my knee and been told it could be up to 6 months post surgery (and I need to get my knee mobile before i can have that) before I can ride again.

I'm trying to keep mine in work, she's a fatty cob too and we'd just started getting somewhere with our schooling. there's some good riders at the yard whose horses are unable to work currently so they're hacking her and seem to have found myself a couple of sharers. will keep an eye on her in case it gets too much with lots of different people riding but my issue is I cant lunge as im in a leg brace and on crutches and not balanced enough! also can't drive to get to the yard currently!

does/ would he ride and lead? is there anyone from the yard you would feel happy doing that? a good sharer would be the way to go, but I know what a struggle it can be. or could you teach your OH to lunge just to keep him ticking over?

and weight wise, winter before last I couldn't ride (arm that time!) and left her out unrugged in all but the wettest of wet 24/7 and she didnt get fat - was too busy keeping warm. also meant less faff of changing rugs with one operational arm!

hellfire

Visit site
I found putting a add up in my local equine store helped. I was bombarded with people wanting to ride and muck out for free! I just interviewd a few made sure they were confident decent riders and went from there. Congrats on the baby. I'm sure turning him out for a holiday would b ok with winter coming he's less likely to pile it on. That said one of mine puts it on just looking at food!

beth21

Visit site
I found putting a add up in my local equine store helped. I was bombarded with people wanting to ride and muck out for free! I just interviewd a few made sure they were confident decent riders and went from there. Congrats on the baby. I'm sure turning him out for a holiday would b ok with winter coming he's less likely to pile it on. That said one of mine puts it on just looking at food!

I second this! As someone who can't own or loan a horse due to time and financial constraints, I decided to put an advert up to see if anyone simply wanted a hardworking pair of hands in return for a ride a couple of times a week. The response has been unbelievable! I've been inundated and now have a perfect arrangement with a lovely lady who simply needed some help. You'd be amazed by the amount of people out there who adore horses and just want to be around them, can't afford the luxury but are more than willing to work hard to earn a ride :)

Good luck with it all and congrats on the baby!