Keeping Horse(singular) at home

Gypley

Visit site
Husband and I are very interested in a house that has become available which has stables, land and an arena.

Unlike perhaps your normal horsey person, I’m not too bothered about keeping the horse at home, but would like to explore the option as children are on the horizon so it would make sense from a time and financial point of view. We don’t have family close and husband has a long commute so it would be difficult to find time (and money) for horse on full livery.

Having had my own yard before I’m aware of the time, cost etc involved in having your own place, hence not being too struck on keeping him at home.

However, this place is ready to go. Good fencing, grazing and stables and a new ménage.

Now, I DO NOT, I repeat, I DO NOT want another horse. Having had two previously, I’m not up to it any more. But obviously current horse cannot live on his own.
What are my options? I can’t imagine a horses needs are truely met with the company of sheep alone? (Would I even want sheep?!)
I’m aware that opening myself up for livery would incur insurance and change of use for the property which I’m not really up for.
What IYO is the best option?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
You have a horse already? But you don't have time for a horse on full livery? I don't understand?

I'm not sure what answer you are looking for? You can't keep a horse on its own. Don't want a livery. Don't want another horse. Don't want other companion animals? Can't keep your horse on livery?

I think I must have misunderstood your post?

ponynutz

Visit site
A sheep is a good plan, not only do they provide companionship (and a small income from shearing wool - which HAS to be done for the welfare of the sheep) but they are also really good for your field, their little feet flatten it and they don't remove too much grass from the fields. The other option is a goat, they don't need to be sheared but they do EAT everything. However I know a little shetland pony down my lane who lives happily with a goat. They are honestly best friends, and goats are similarly good for your field, just like sheep.

Your other option of course is rehoming a pony. The costs will be very low if it's a little pony, and from your description of the potential home the horses could even live out during the summer months. There are many things to make mucking out in winter easier as well. For example, my friend enlarged the stables (knocking the wall down between two normal-sized stables) and therefore only has to muck out one stable.

Good luck, having the horses at home is fantastic - I love it! Having not grown up with land, but having moved at age 12 (I am now 15) it is also super cool as a child!

Gypley

Visit site
Sorry, full livery will not financially be an option when we have children and I’m working part time. I currently do not have children and am working full time.
When we have children (which are imminent) it would make more sense to keep the horse at home. But I’m just asking or opinions on the best way to do this without having liveries and ideally not having another horse.

I certainly would not keep him on his own, but have have done little reasearch in to keeping other companion animals with horses.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
There isn't really any other option apart from a companion of some sort. Allowing anyone else's horses on your land could land you with business rates these days.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The issue is that I have known more than one horse who having been 'fine with cows/sheep/whatever' and no equine company, has gone back to having equine company and it is then that you see how miserable the horse had been. They all had terrible separation anxiety once back with other horses and in fact had not been 'fine' before, they just had no choice about the matter and resigned themselves to it. I guess it was a form of learned helplessness.

So IMO, unless the horse is one of those very rare horses that hates other horses, they should have equine company for their mental wellbeing.

You could maybe loan out the horse while you concentrate on children for a while if having them at livery with a sharer won't ease the load (time and/or money) enough?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wouldn't keep a horse on its own under any circumstances, sheep and cows don't always make good companions some horses are scared of them or really don't get on with them, I have seen horses attack sheep just because they accidentally got in there field.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
i would not keep a horse just with sheep, they need another horse for company. Also sheep need care as well, four sheep eat the equivalent of one horse, although they are good for the land. There is little profit from the wool and it costs to shear, goats are not as good for the grass, as they do not encourage the grass to thicken up as sheep do.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The issue is that I have known more than one horse who having been 'fine with cows/sheep/whatever' and no equine company, has gone back to having equine company and it is then that you see how miserable the horse had been. They all had terrible separation anxiety once back with other horses and in fact had not been 'fine' before, they just had no choice about the matter and resigned themselves to it. I guess it was a form of learned helplessness.

So IMO, unless the horse is one of those very rare horses that hates other horses, they should have equine company for their mental wellbeing.

You could maybe loan out the horse while you concentrate on children for a while if having them at livery with a sharer won't ease the load (time and/or money) enough?
This, this was my horse. I had a horse with horrific separation anxiety and whilst on loan they kept him with sheep. During which he became easy to handle but dropped weight despite eating constantly. Had him back, put him back with a pony. Weight picked up instantly.
I really believe they need horses as company.
The only reply to your post is compromise, you have to decide which you don’t want least of all or find the money for full livery.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have mine at home and if ( when ) I get left with one as I work towards my horsey retirement I will at one point get left with one and there’s no way I will keep that horse alone .
My plan would be to foster from a rescue something young that can go back later to move on to an permanent job .
I have twice bought horses who have been kept alone and in both cases it was pretty clear it’s not a good thing to do to a horse they need the companionship of their own kind .
I am not sure what you want people to say , it seems you have backed yourself into a corner you can’t do livery and seem not at all in love with having the horse at home .
Having horses is supposed to be fun , if you not going to enjoy it sell the horse and buy a different house.
Alternatively source that first pony and use it as a companion you are going to need it soon .
Horses are hard work I love having mine at home there’s no point if you don’t .
I see the logic of a sharer and one livery but I would not it you don’t want to managing that a job and house and kids nightmare .

J&S

Visit site
TBH any extra work involved in keeping a companion pony is worth it when you see the two of them enjoying each others company out side your kitchen/bedroom window!.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
A sheep is a good plan, not only do they provide companionship (and a small income from shearing wool - which HAS to be done for the welfare of the sheep)

I'm so sorry, ponynutz, but I nearly spat my morning tea all over my bed at the idea that the wool from one sheep can provide any sort of income. You are young and I don't think you really understand sheep and shearing. You'll find it difficult to get anyone to come and shear one sheep. It's likely to cost more than you'd get by selling the wool, and wool buyers only deal in huge bags containing loads of fleeces, so you'd have to throw it in with someone else's anyway.

Sheep provided entertainment for one of mine, she used to attack them. Not all horses like them, and they are no sort of companionship for a horse.

OP, on reading your post I just thought 'why don't they buy a different house?'

Last edited:

turnbuckle

Visit site
The perfect livery would be the answer. But try finding one. A world of pain awaits if you are unlucky.

I know keeping a horse alone is supposed to be terribly wrong but conventional wisdom isn't always right. Mine lives alone with cattle to chat to and he really is perfectly happy. Always pleased to see his mates when he is out and about but quite relaxed about it all.

Or, as others have said, a companion pony might work.

ihatework

Visit site
Why don’t you rent the yard out, but taking your time to find the right person. With the income you could either put your horse on FL elsewhere or potentially whoever rents the yard could offer you FL.

be positive

Visit site
Why don’t you rent the yard out, but taking your time to find the right person. With the income you could either put your horse on FL elsewhere or potentially whoever rents the yard could offer you FL.

That could be the ideal solution, or if you have the horse and a companion at home you pay a freelancer to come in a do the chores each day, whatever you decide if you buy the house there will still be maintenance to do even if there are no horses on it so you may as well have him nearby and benefit from being able to enjoy extra time with him.

I have mine at home and would never keep one alone, like GS I am cutting back but if left with one will find equine company, the extra work involved if they are living out is minimal.

catkin

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. It’s all food for thought.
Who am I kidding though, we all know I’m going to end up with a rescue ponies !!

A rescue pony could be a very good solution for you. Could be worth discussing the possibilities of loaning from a local sanctuary/charity.
The good sanctuaries know their individual ponies and place them carefully which is to everyone's benefit, equine and human.

We have a little sanctuary pony as a companion - she's wonderful at her job (bossy schoolmarm nanny to my young ridden pony), easy to handle, a real character who's won over non-horsey hubby into being her 'special friend' ;) . If anything should happen to us we know that she will always have a home, and if anything happens to her (she's now quite elderly) the sanctuary would help us find another friend for our pony.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

I do have a funny picture from when we returned frank to the blonde bombshell she wasn’t too impressed to go back to being bossed around again but she certainly doesn’t hate other horses.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

and sheep are as as high maintenance as horses imo and agree they are not a permanent form of company for an equine. if company might be useful rent out a stable-personally though I would get a small M&M (but not a mini-they need company of their own kind imo) if their metabolism is compatible with your current horse.

pansymouse

Visit site
To me an uncomplicated companion pony from a reputable rescue charity seems the obvious solution. I had a lovely little chap from the Blue Cross when my old horse was left on his own and I didn't want a livery.

HeyMich

Visit site
We have just bought a house with a similar set up (no school though, unfortunately) and have brought my mare home to live with us. Obviously, we had to get a pony too to keep her company! I'm refusing to stable them both, so they are living out 24/7 and are as happy as larry. No mucking out, I just hay/water/feed them on the days when I'm at work all day, and bring them in, feed, groom and ride when I have more time. Totally flexible, and at the moment it's working well. To be fair, looking after a horse and a companion pony isn't much more work than a single horse!

Horsekaren

Visit site
Mine was on his own and able to see horses but not touch them for 3 months and he was utterly miserable, stressed and anxious. I knew but didnt really know how bad it was until i moved him. He turned into the happy horse i was starting to forget existed.

I dont think sheep, goats ect are quiet the same.
What about a shetland, a livery or even a donkey.

I know of one lady who keeps her horse with a donkey and they get on very well.

Hope you find a solution x