Keeping horse with Highland Cattle!

rhino

Visit site
I used to drive past a field every day with a small herd of heilan' coos and a couple of clydesdales :) They always seemed very happy and settled :D

ETA just noticed your location OP, they were just off the Kingsway in Dundee :)

flying solo

Visit site
I used to keep my old pony with dairy cows, not sure if breed matters? She was fine though. Think she was loused etc pretty often, farmer used her as a nanny for his mares foals whilst I sat my exams at school so not entirely sure.

CracklinRosie

Visit site
I used to drive past a field every day with a small herd of heilan' coos and a couple of clydesdales :) They always seemed very happy and settled :D

ETA just noticed your location OP, they were just off the Kingsway in Dundee :)

Yeah they belong to the council, forgot they kept their Clydes in with the coos! Take it you're not up here anymore!

SaharaS

Visit site
My only concerns would be make sure you are insured! dairy cows are often not horned. I also think you need to check on horned animals being kept with non horned-grey area..I kept my pygmy goats (horned) with my sheep (disbudded) and had numerous complaints & warnings after do gooders started interfering...if it works, it works but you do have the risk of injury esp eye injuries.not necessarily malicious, we kept bison next to my horses but legally my vet said it could be a welfare issue if they could touch & so we fenced off an extra 'path' so they were out of reach...it doesn't even have to be malicious, a friendly scratchy rub can do some pretty serious damage....
good luck what ever you decide!x

rhino

Visit site
Yeah they belong to the council, forgot they kept their Clydes in with the coos! Take it you're not up here anymore!

Nope, was only there for a postgrad year at Uni. Kept ginger horse at Longforgan :)

I also have friends in Dorset who keep all their horses with Dorset Longhorns; they have never had any bother either :)

Merlin11

Visit site
I personnally wouldn't risk it. Would be concerned about the horns but that may just be me. My boys are also terrified of cows!

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
I used to spend my summers working for an Eventer/Dressage rider in Aberdeenshire. One of her liveries told me that she would never keep her horses in the same field as Highlands. She had known too many horses with stomache injuries.

Personally I wouldn't risk it- but also you have the other cattle-horse issues such as ringworm and tail chewing to worry about too!

Archangel

Visit site
I would say it very much depends on the horse and the cattle (so helpful eh? :))
One of mine lived with a herd of cattle (not Highland) and of course befriended the one with horns :eek:

Here is a pic (the photo doesn't really show how big the horns were)
picture.php

He was very aware that he had head armour and was careful not to catch them on anything - unless deliberately biffing one of his mates. Horse also well aware of the pointy things so also respectful. It helped that they were in 30 acres and the horse asserted himself as not to be trifled with. They will chew the tail though and my horse was always covered in huge lick marks :D

Ladyinred

Visit site
If your horse is quiet and sane then it might be possible. Other than that it isn't worth the risk. I knew a two year old in with some Longhorns and he got too close as one tossed her head at a fly... 34 stitches in his neck later.... The vet said he was lucky to be alive as she had only just missed an artery!!

CracklinRosie

Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. They have had horses running with them before so are familiar with horses. I wouldn't worry about the TB, she'd be fine, it's the young, daft Irish lump that would want to "play" with them! I also have the exclusive use of a 5 acre "paddock" so may keep them there to start and introduce them latter, if neccessary!

measles

Visit site
A friend's jumpIng pony was turned out regularly with a few highland cows and somehow was gored up the inside of the top of his hind leg. He came sound again but was never quite the same. Personally I wouldn't risk it having seen the damage that can be done.

shellonabeach

Visit site
I kept my 14.2 gelding with Highland cattle for 3 years when I was at Uni. He shared a 6 acre field with them. First year he shared with 4 bullocks and the next 2 years he shared with 3 heifers. (I didn't like going in the field with the bullocks!)

I was worried about the horns at first but the horse was the boss and the cows respected him. Another horse who was in the field for a while actually chased the cows out of the field over the gate when they were first put in the field. The 3 heifers I chose specifically as they were friendly and quiet which I believe from the farmer to be the general nature of Highland cattle. The girls liked polo's and were very sweet :)

In the winter the cows would be hayed at night when I put my horse in the stable for the night else he would bully them off the piles of hay!

When it came to leave and move to a livery yard I was terrified of putting my gelding back on with other horses incase he got hurt!!

jodie3

Visit site
I've kept several horses out with Highland cattle and never had a problem.

My youngster was out on his own one winter with them and seemed to quite enjoy their company - I would often find him grazing alongside them.

Tnavas

Visit site
My biggest concern would be that cows are notorious for eating horses tails! I'd also be concerned about the horns doing possible damage, however a friend of mine keeps a Highland with her horses with no problems.

One other concern is the possibility of headcollar and horns - some years ago my friend came home to find one of her goats attached to the headcollar of one of the yearlings - goat was most indignant as he was being lifted off the ground by the yearling who wasn't at all concerned about the goat hanging off his head and was happily swinging him around.

Would be a good idea to check conditions of insurance when grazing with horned animals.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Well my next door neighbour has highland cattle and they are by far the most docile and yes his horse and mine have run with them,it is usually the horses that get the cattle going, and the long horns they use as back scratchers and I love them to bits

Kaylum

Visit site
The only thing that ever bothered us with keeping horses and cattle together was tail chewing. Cows love to tail chew.